Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportingNews: Redskins Team Report ~ ~ ~(M.E.T.)

kelly

I am really excited for the safety battle. Though I think in the end, Landry will be moved from FS to SS only in certain personnel packages to give the entire defense the best chance at success. I think there will be times when we see Schwiegert and Doughty swapping out, in which Landry most likely slides inside to SS.

Personally, I hope that Doughty has continued to improve enough at SS to warrant leaving Landry at FS. First reason is, that I think when you look at our secondary, Landry is the one guy who can dominate and/or recover based on sheer athletic ability and speed. Even though I love his aggressiveness and ability to blitz from the SS position, I think he really covers up the fact tat our CB's are only slightly above average. I mean personally, I hate the thought of bringing in Landry on a blitz, and having Schweigert back there to provide support over the top for Smoot and Springs. I just think that having Landry at FS and Doughty at SS really gives our overall defense the best chance to shut down opposing offenses.

Hopefully through this competition we will be able to move Landry all over the field and we will have some good depth and fresh legs when the injury bug hits.

But all things considered, with everyone healthy, I think that Landry can pretty much hold down the entire backfield with his freakish speed and amazing athletic ability. I don't know about anyone else, but the thought of Schweigert/Springs/Smoot providing the only support over the top is a bit scary to me. But what do I know? HTTR

I am really excited for the safety battle. Though I think in the end, Landry will be moved from FS to SS only in certain personnel packages to give the entire defense the best chance at success. I think there will be times when we see Schwiegert and Doughty swapping out, in which Landry most likely slides inside to SS.

Personally, I hope that Doughty has continued to improve enough at SS to warrant leaving Landry at FS. First reason is, that I think when you look at our secondary, Landry is the one guy who can dominate and/or recover based on sheer athletic ability and speed. Even though I love his aggressiveness and ability to blitz from the SS position, I think he really covers up the fact tat our CB's are only slightly above average. I mean personally, I hate the thought of bringing in Landry on a blitz, and having Schweigert back there to provide support over the top for Smoot and Springs. I just think that having Landry at FS and Doughty at SS really gives our overall defense the best chance to shut down opposing offenses.

Hopefully through this competition we will be able to move Landry all over the field and we will have some good depth and fresh legs when the injury bug hits.

But all things considered, with everyone healthy, I think that Landry can pretty much hold down the entire backfield with his freakish speed and amazing athletic ability. I don't know about anyone else, but the thought of Schweigert/Springs/Smoot providing the only support over the top is a bit scary to me. But what do I know? HTTR

Can we sticky this? Please?

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Redskins Team Report

Posted: June 9, 2008 - Paul Woody/For Sporting News

The young wide receivers are making progress in the OTA workouts. Malcolm Kelly is showing the ability to get behind cornerbacks and stretch the field. Devin Thomas has made some nice catches in traffic but still is getting used running routes from different sides of the line.

This is the exact kind of insight we should be getting from JLC, instead of verbal handjobs for Morocco Brown.

...To those of you who made fun of M. Kelly's speed should be pretty much silenced by now huh? " Malcolm Kelly is showing the ability to get behind cornerbacks and stretch the field." That is great. Hopefully D. Thomas can grasp the playbook soon, and become a nice little role player for us.

Uh...unless that says more about the CBs who are covering him.

Just a cynical thought.

I am excited about the WR group. I think Kelly will be better early (in his carreer) but Thomas will eventually become a premier WR. Yes, I do believe that. Maybe because I'm a Spartan fan, but I think this guy has the tools to be a stud in this league for many years to come.

Anyway, Woody mentions that Portis is the Pro-Bowl calibur player among the Skins' RBs...I would argue that Sellers will be a VERY strong candidate for the Pro-Bowl this year. Did Lorenzo Neal and Mack Strong retire?--If so, Sellers should be a lock.

This is not really so much of a matter of Blache not being happy enough with our starting safeties as Blache not being happy enough with our safety depth. I certainly wasnt happy with the safety depth(because it didnt exist), so why would he be? Our #3 safety was.... Vernon Fox? And whos our #4? Basically we were stuck with a couple of no name young players without starting experience as our safety valve(no pun intended). Thats not a recipe for success.

So the Schwiegert signing is a great thing. It guarantees that this team is a better team come the start of the regular season. I just cant see much to argue with there.

I concur. Its hot as **** here in Orlando today.

It was more Kelly than the heat, but both are to blame :silly:

That, and I'm a sucker for a cute blonde Skins fan!

" . . . blonde Skins fan! "

with war paint ~ ~ ~ ;)

m_58aa858d34980420299cba94dc0cbf74.jpg

m_c8f4f6879b0c173ceab7de360256c33d.jpg

This is just an overall good analysis. I agree with pretty much everything stated here.

I really like the way Zorn is running things so far. I know we all probably say this every year, but it just seems this upcoming season feels like a special one.

Also. I really like what I here about our young WRs. To those of you who made fun of M. Kelly's speed should be pretty much silenced by now huh? " Malcolm Kelly is showing the ability to get behind cornerbacks and stretch the field." That is great. Hopefully D. Thomas can grasp the playbook soon, and become a nice little role player for us.

I told everyone I think Kelly will be a stud. He has really good game speed and he has great hands. I think once he get the playbook down. He will have a huge impact even in the red zone. I think he can be our #2 this year. I think he's that good talent wise. Remember at the end of the college football season Kelly was almost unanimously the best reciever and a top 15 prospect. Just cause he ran a slow 40 didn't matter to me.

Marcus Washington is simply not a DE in my opinion. Everytime he lines up at DE I cringe because he looks so out of position. At LB he's able to be involved in more plays and use his experience and enthusiasm to make plays. At DE he's only able to make plays at rushing the passer, but he's not a pure pass rusher so he's limited in his capability. He's much better in blitz situations.

" . . . cute blonde Skins fan! "

with war paint ~ ~ ~ ;)

m_58aa858d34980420299cba94dc0cbf74.jpg

m_c8f4f6879b0c173ceab7de360256c33d.jpg

Holy hell lol. I'm glad its the end of the work day, because I have lost my focus :D

Edit: Its a shame you are allll the way in Sweden, because I don't think the war paint would be as appreciated there as it would be here (namely Florida ;) ). And I added the 'cute' part back into the quote you replied to!

Marcus Washington is simply not a DE in my opinion. Everytime he lines up at DE I cringe because he looks so out of position. At LB he's able to be involved in more plays and use his experience and enthusiasm to make plays. At DE he's only able to make plays at rushing the passer, but he's not a pure pass rusher so he's limited in his capability. He's much better in blitz situations.

I kinda agree, and I wonder if he can handle playing DE. Especially with his injuries last year (and our lack of depth at LB), I'd say we keep him at LB and try to blitz him more. Thats what we could do.

I told everyone I think Kelly will be a stud. He has really good game speed and he has great hands. I think once he get the playbook down. He will have a huge impact even in the red zone. I think he can be our #2 this year. I think he's that good talent wise. Remember at the end of the college football season Kelly was almost unanimously the best reciever and a top 15 prospect. Just cause he ran a slow 40 didn't matter to me.

:applause:

I'm right there with you dude.

Any analysis that says that Landry should go back to where he belongs (strong safety) is bull**** to me. He's a free safety. Except for ten or so games, he was ALWAYS a free safety.

Keep him where he was. Two picks in the playoffs. Yeesh!

Just remember that there have been many who got multiple picks in the playoffs (I'm reminded of Larry Brown). Just because Landry did this doesn't mean that he's set to be a SS. I think its ok to trust the coaches on this one and whatever they say is best for the team, I'm willing to accept.

I really think both our young WR's will have an impact this year.

Although, I am a little upset that D. Thomas is behind Kelly. I thought it would be the other way around. But as long as one of them steps up this year, that will be a gain in my eyes.

I really think both our young WR's will have an impact this year.

Although, I am a little upset that D. Thomas is behind Kelly. I thought it would be the other way around. But as long as one of them steps up this year, that will be a gain in my eyes.

But seriously, I have to say:

Be patient.

I think they will be very impressive WRs, but they need time.

But seriously, I have to say:

Be patient.

I think they will be very impressive WRs, but they need time.

Agreed they do need time. Most rookie WR's need atleast a season before they break out i.e. Calvin Johnson.

I understand they need time, I just want one of them (or for ****s and giggles, Mix) to pull in a few TD's this year.

One can only hope.

and yes.

cute girl thread bump :D

Archived