Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SN: Camp Countdown '08: Washington Redskins

Chump Bailey

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=418611

A new word has entered the Redskins' vocabulary -- patience.

Team owner Daniel Snyder was patient in his search for a new coach. In free agency, Snyder and executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato showed great patience and restraint. On draft day, the team patiently waited for players to fall to it.

So far, patience has paid off. Jim Zorn is adjusting to his first job as a head coach. No money was wasted in free agency. The Redskins got the players they wanted in the draft.

Patience will be imperative in the early going of the regular season. The Redskins play three of their first five games on the road, all against NFC East opponents. That's a tough assignment, especially when the club is learning a new offense and adjusting to a new head coach.

Patience, however, does not mean this is a rebuilding year. Snyder, Cerrato and Zorn expect to win and be in the playoffs.

That will be a challenge.

The Redskins are in arguably the NFC's toughest division. Quarterback Jason Campbell is entering his fourth NFL season and learning his third new offense.

The Redskins should be competitive, and patience will be key. This is a team that has a chance to stay in the playoff race all year, but there will be times when things are not at all pretty.

Offense

Adjustments are in order. After four years of operating in Joe Gibbs' one-back, power running game, the Redskins are shifting to Zorn's horizontal West Coast offense. Sherman Smith has the title of offensive coordinator, but this is Zorn's show.

Zorn is implementing the offense and calling the plays. The Redskins have the personnel to be successful in this attack, but everyone has to learn quickly.

Zorn might need to rely on the running game if the passing game is slow to develop.

Defense

After four years as the defensive line coach, Greg Blache takes over as Washington's defensive coordinator.

Blache believes in an aggressive defense. He expects his defensive line to provide pass-rush pressure and wants a big push up the middle from the tackles.

In run defense, Blache expects the front four to strip away the interference or occupy blockers so the linebackers can come in and clean up.

Blache has always done an excellent job of preparing his players for almost everything they will see an opponent do.

The book on: Jason Campbell

A rival sizes up the Redskins' quarterback:

"Jason Campbell has a number of strong points. He has a strong arm, and he's tall. His height enables him to see the field. He does a good job of not forcing things. He has the ability to make plays. One thing I really like is his willingness to stay within the system.

"A lot of times when a quarterback has Campbell's athletic ability and speed, he'll try to make more plays on his own or take more chances. He doesn't do that. He makes plays when everything else breaks down, but he's not looking to run at the first sign of trouble. He gives the plays a chance to develop.

"He does need to do a better job of protecting the ball when he's hit. He needs to improve his touch and accuracy on the shorter passes. That's a problem you see with a lot of tall quarterbacks who have the kind of long, full windup, which is another reason he needs to get rid of the ball quicker."

Bottom line

Zorn will need some time to learn how to handle all the things that engulf a head coach once the season begins. It could get shaky right off the bat with the tough early slate away from home, and closing the season with three of four games on the road is not in the Redskins' favor, either.

Zorn, however, does not seem to be the type of coach who panics, and Washington's players have shown in the past they never think the season is over, no matter how bad things look early on. Still, the NFC East is a tough division, and it's hard to see where the Redskins made dramatic improvements.

SN prediction: 4-2, fourth in NFC East.

4-2 Fourth in the NFC East?

I think everything written is pretty accurate, but was very confused with the prediction line.

If we are 4-2 in the NFC East, I highly doubt we would be last in the NFC East.

I wanted to find out what 4-2 and 4th meant.

I mean, if we go 4-2 in the division, there is no way in hell we finish last in the division.

I think he does mean we will be 4-12, lol.

From the Eagles Camp Countdown page....

SN prediction: 7-9, 3rd in NFC East.

This tool thinks 4-12.

I agree with much of what he said, except for the 4-12 4th place finish in the division. Actually, the trend indicates that teams excel when a new coach is hired, but regress the 2nd year. Conventional wisdom would have you believe the opposite is true, but it isn't. I predict no less than a 2nd place finish in the NFC East, and as for playoffs, depends on other factors.

that's a pretty fair assessment, though our overall record prediction of 4-12 is a stretch. We'll at least win 5 games, jk. :D

I think we struggle at first, then go on a winning streak in the middle of the season and finish somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7, still in the playoff hunt at the end of the season.

Though I have no expectations we will make them, but I think if we are competing for a playoff spot in December, than that will be somewhat of a successful season for a new coaching staff and one that we can build off of.

How can this team have a chance to be in the playoff hunt all year, yet finish 4-12?

And the Giants at 13-3 is laughable. I know they won the Super Bowl, but they were 10-6 last year.

Thats exactly what I thought lol. It was a pretty acurate read imo until the whole "no dramatic improvements" and the 4-12 prediction

Now that we know we'll lose 75% of this season's games, lets just take it easy for another year and start scouting draft picks.

I say Matthew Stafford.

Course, we could play the games, but seeing as how Sporting News has already determined the season, I don't see why.

If we go 4-2 in the NFC east, there is no way we dont win 10 games
ohhh i didn't think about the 4-2 being only our division record. I think most of us assumed it was a typo and he meant to type 4-12 since he has us finishing 4th in the division.

Come on Paul Woody...Take a stance...

"The Redskins should be competitive, and patience will be key. This is a team that has a chance to stay in the playoff race all year, but there will be times when things are not at all pretty."

4-2 in division? Competitive? Not Pretty? You can't quite figure out where he is going with this article nor can I figure out what he actually thinks we are going to do?

I say if we go 4-2 in the division, we are going 10-6 at a minimum. That means we need 6 wins against the rest of the schedule. I would say we beat the Rams, Browns, Bengals, 49er's, Ravens, & Lions. Non-Divison losses to the Saints, Steelers, & Seahawks.

I like the idea of being patient but we sure as hell aren't rebuilding. The only rebuilding is within the coaching staff. They better have this team back to the form it was playing at the end of last season.

A new word has entered the Redskins' vocabulary -- patience.

Team owner Daniel Snyder was patient in his search for a new coach. In free agency, Snyder and executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato showed great patience and restraint. On draft day, the team patiently waited for players to fall to it.

No, no, no...Snyder wanted to hire Fassel immediately but the fan backlash scared him and made him pretend to extend his search until the uproar died down some. He only hired Zorn because nobody else wanted the job. Vinny didn't sign any free agents because the Skins were $20 million over the salary cap. And on draft day the Skins' FO purposefully skipped drafting players of need in order to draft sexy offensive picks.

This guy got it all wrong. :doh:

No, no, no...Snyder wanted to hire Fassel immediately but the fan backlash scared him and made him pretend to extend his search until the uproar died down some. He only hired Zorn because nobody else wanted the job. Vinny didn't sign any free agents because the Skins were $20 million over the salary cap. And on draft day the Skins' FO purposefully skipped drafting players of need in order to draft sexy offensive picks.

This guy got it all wrong. :doh:

Will you please take off the rose colored glasses.:silly:

Hope for 12-4.

Prepare for 4-12.

People's expectations on this board are incredibly, absurdly high considering a rookie coach, and new offense.

New offenses take time. We sucked during Al Saunders first year. We will likely suck for much of this year too on offense. No different, it just takes some time.

"Blache believes in an aggressive defense. He expects his defensive line to provide pass-rush pressure and wants a big push up the middle from the tackles."

Hmm, this pretty much goes against everything he's taught here, and as a DC in Chicago, so I have no idea where thsi is coming from.

As to the rest of the overall analysis, it seems pretty acurrate except for the overall record. I think we'll be under .500, but not 4-12. More like 6-10 or 7-9. We'll take a couple steps back with the new offense, and with are rookie WR's not giving us alot of help, and our rookie TE doing basicaly nothing. Defensively I see us being about the same, but less agressive and having our pass defensive slide back abit if James doenst play much or is hampered with his knee. If he is 100% though and starts, I see us getting more pressure and having a defense that can carry the team untill the offense get the new system and they could make a run @ the playoffs late in the year. 09' I have pretty high hopes for though, especially if James is healthy.

Archived