Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Uncontacted tribe' sighted in Amazon (with aerial pics)

#98QBKiller

Thats right, they aren't animals....but thats not what alot of missionaries consider them to be if they aren't worshiping their God.
So you are saying they don't go over with their Bibles and introduce it to the natives?
I understand that they do a lot of humanitarian work...but I have a problem with anyone trying to say that my belief system is wrong. Hell, it happens at my front door...so I know it happens on foreign missions to isolated tribes.
My take would be a positive one if, again, they aren't there for conversion efforts as well.
This is true but, many of these same people have the plans for a church in their back pocket.
Why not just allow me to go on with my own religion. The final goal of all missionaries is conversion to save the damned. Sure they do many, many great deeds before that point - but that is the end game. If I'm wrong about that I've been seriously misinformed.

Rincewind - Consider yourself seriously misinformed.

I've been reading through this thread and I have to say I'm surprised and a little saddened at the unbelievable misconception and misunderstanding there is about missionaries.

I'm in the medical field/global health. Everyone in my program considers ourselves "missionaries" as we have been to many third world countries and helped with medical care, public health, and humanitarian issues and plan on doing this for our life's work.

I can tell you FIRST HAND that we don't go over to other countries and into other cultures expecting to "change" them or force them to learn about God to save them from hellfire and damnation. In fact, we are extremely senstive to the differing cultures and gear our work to helping these people within the context and boundaries of their culture. It does absolutely no good to go over to another country and build something or implement a program that is not accepted in that culture and will not be sustainable.

I am a Christian and I have never once gone over to another country with the intent of "converting" people to my views. I, and everyone else I know who is in my line of work, go over to help these people with needs specific to their communities and villages. If the people need mosquito nets, we gear a program around that. If they need a hospital, we help with that, help create sustainable programs the people need. If they like us and accept us and happen to ask me about my God, I am happy to share...BUT IN NO WAY do I or any of the people in my program push that upon the people.

Most people who want to do humanitarian/missionary work understand it does no good to force something upon others. I, along with the people I know, firmly believe the best witnessing is through our actions and through genuinely caring about others and helping them with what THEY need help with in their community.

Anyway, I just saw all these completely bassackward misconceptions in this thread and wanted to set a few things straight with my first hand experience and the experience I've had with any of my other colleagues.

P.S. Building a church is NOT the plan we all have in our back pockets when we go overseas...not even close. You are totally way off there.

a lot, and i mean a lot of missionaries don't just go in and start spouting the gospel. it is largely humanitarian work, i.e. providing fresh water, meds, etc. i know people that have a thing against religious folks view missionaries in ways that fit their stereotypes and degrading beliefs, but it's not really based in reality.

This post is dead on. Just thought it needed to be reiterated. Thanks Major Harris!! :D

Not that I want to get back into this thread, but... keetsman it sounds like you do more humanitarian work than missionary work. The definition of the word missionary is (straight out of webster):

person sent by a church to make converts, esp. abroad.

So I'd have to say I'm not really that misinformed... unless Mr. Webster was also. :)

I've been trying to solve this mystery since the beginning of the thread, but people can't help themselves and want to turn every thread into a political/religious/etc argument.

This is just me taking an educated guess but I am going to assume that the colors of their skin designate the rankings within the tribe.

red could mean warrior since the guys in red all have weapons in hand

black could be shaman or even leader since it seems like she is pointing out what to do.

thats just my guess though..:2cents:

Not that I want to get back into this thread, but... keetsman it sounds like you do more humanitarian work than missionary work. The definition of the word missionary is (straight out of webster):

So I'd have to say I'm not really that misinformed... unless Mr. Webster was also. :)

Mr. Webster is antiquated. :)

b054PB_lg.jpg

dear ES: Please read this book, then continue to discuss in this thread.

You're about 160 posts too late....

Hey zoony - don't you think Jared Diamond wets his pants reading news reports like this? This is probably Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year's all rolled in to one for him.

You gotta admit, it would be very interesting to see what kind of customs, technology, religion, etc. they have developed. Problem is, if they so much as shake hands with a white man, they'll probably drop dead on the spot from bacterial infection.

I hope if some scientists do go down there they wear ET suits and bring lots of hand sanitizer. :)

And I know folks are joking in this thread, but what this tribe has to fear from missionaries -vs- what they have to fear from scientists is the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing one. After all, who snapped these pictures to begin with?

I can pretty much guarantee that there's some folks planning an expedition as we speak... and I'd be willing to bet anyone that they're not missionairies ;)

This is just me taking an educated guess but I am going to assume that the colors of their skin designate the rankings within the tribe.

red could mean warrior since the guys in red all have weapons in hand

black could be shaman or even leader since it seems like she is pointing out what to do.

thats just my guess though..:2cents:

I'd agree with that. Very good guess.

The projects my church is involved in, and the Southern Baptist's in general, the primary focus is saving souls. We never force people though. NEVER. That's hasn't happened for a long time.

We do the humanitarian work too because that is what is right and good, and what Jesus commanded (love your neighbor, visit the sick etc. etc.). Its why the So Baptists were the third largest provider in Katrina Relief behind the Red Cross and the Salvation Army.:2cents:

The projects my church is involved in, and the Southern Baptist's in general, the primary focus is saving souls. We never force people though. NEVER. That's hasn't happened for a long time.

We do the humanitarian work too because that is what is right and good, and what Jesus commanded (love your neighbor, visit the sick etc. etc.). Its why the So Baptists were the third largest provider in Katrina Relief behind the Red Cross and the Salvation Army.:2cents:

I hope you realize I have never said anything to the contrary. Indeed, I have given credit to missionaries for their humanitarian deeds. :)

I hope you realize I have never said anything to the contrary. Indeed, I have given credit to missionaries for their humanitarian deeds. :)
Never said you did.

It was more in response to Keeastman's post. Maybe whatever denomination she works with is different. :whoknows:

I understand what you are saying ZGuy. I am Seventh-day Adventist and our church is known for its medical missionary work and international humanitarian work. Our university is constantly offering mission trips for medical, dental, physical therapy, public health, nursing students.

So with my denomination, while there are some pastors who go overseas to spread the word, we choose to focus our mission on medical missionary work. Loma Linda is actually the leader in our denomination for producing medical and dental missionaries and humanitarian workers to spread the gospel through their work. We want to glorify God while we are overseas, but in no way do we force the topic or force people to talk about their beliefs and try to convert them to our denomination. True witnessing is through our actions. :2cents:

020.jpg

:rotflmao: :laugh: Awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

Remember this? Turns out it was a publicity stunt to raise awareness of logging.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23911279-23109,00.html

'Lost' Amazon tribe a publicity stunt

THE man behind photos of warriors from an "undiscovered" Amazon tribe that were beamed around the world has admitted it was a publicity stunt aimed at raising awareness of logging.

Indigenous tribes expert, José Carlos Meirelles, said the tribe had been known of since 1910, and had been photographed to prove that they still existed in an area endangered by logging, The Guardian reported.

Mr Meirelles, who was working for Funai, the Brazilian Indian Protection Agency dedicated to finding remote tribes and protecting them, said he spent three years gatheiring "evidence" about the tribe, and then planned the publicity to protect them from losing their habitat.

Mr Meirelles, 61, said the "chance encounter" that produced the famous photographs was no accident.

"When we think we might have found an isolated tribe, a sertanista (tribe expert) like me walks in the forest for two or three years to gather evidence and we mark it in our (global positioning system)," he told Al Jazaera in his first interview since the images were released.

"We then map the territory the Indians occupy and we draw that protected territory without making contact with them. And finally we set up a small outpost where we can monitor their protection."

He said the Brazilian state of Acre offered him the use of an aircraft for three days.

"I had years of GPS co-ordinates," he said.

"A friend of mine sent me some Google Earth co-ordinates and maps that showed a strange clearing in the middle of the forest and asked me what that was.

"I saw the co-ordinates and realised that it was close to the area I had been exploring with my son – so I needed to fly over it."

Mr Meirelles said he he flew a 150km-radius route over the border region with Peru and saw huts that belonged to isolated tribes. But he did not see people.

"When the women hear the plane above, they run into the forest, thinking it's a big bird," he said.

"This is such a remote area, planes don't fly over it."

On the third day , Mr Meirelles spotted a large community.

"When I saw them painted red, I was satisfied, I was happy," he said.

"Because painted red means they are ready for war, which to me says they are happy and healthy defending their territory."

Survival International, the organisation that released the pictures along with Funai, conceded yesterday that Funai had known about the nomadic tribe for around two decades.

It defended the disturbance of the tribe saying the international media attention surrounging the images had forced Peru to re-examine its logging policy in the border area where the tribe lives.

Remember this? Turns out it was a publicity stunt to raise awareness of logging.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23911279-23109,00.html

'Lost' Amazon tribe a publicity stunt

THE man behind photos of warriors from an "undiscovered" Amazon tribe that were beamed around the world has admitted it was a publicity stunt aimed at raising awareness of logging.

This just makes all the more likely that the person in the picture really is the painted tan jersey kid.

Archived