Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gingrich video: Bush should have allowed some 'reminder' attacks

chomerics

Guest sith lord
On a serious note, the Gingrich remark brings up a good point.

Bush deserves SOME credit for the fact that there have not been any attacks on our soil since 9/11. Not saying I'm agreeing with the Gingrich comment, but it does reflect the credit I think Bush is due.

You're kidding right?

I am not letting a liberal bias creep into anything, and in fact, I said it may be true. . . but just because it is true does not excuse himself for saying it!

Here is the quote again. . .

ALLOWED!!!

That is the part that is really scary to me. He is saying they should have allowed an attack for political ratings, and it is a HORRID thing to say.

Would an attack help them in the polls? Probably it would. . .but should it even be thought up? Hell no!!! Your role as a government is to protect the people, and to even think this is bad, but to publicly say it, as a politician is not only bad tact, it is going to be used against you in every way possible.

Can you imagine what people would say if Obama said this? As a politician, you need to have a filter on your words, and THINK about what you say, because they WILL be used against you. This quote will be used if newt ever decides to try for any election and it will sink him. It is a horrible thing to say, advocating an attack for political ratings, and it shows where some republicans heads are. In the polls, not at the countries best interest.

The all caps "ALLOWED" with multiple explanation marks is very Olberman-esque of you. If you would have repeated it a couple of times then you would have been "spot on".

I disagree with what he said because it is a stupid thing to say. I don't think he said it was being done for "political ratings". Seems to me he is saying it would serve as a reminder of why our policies are needed(which I do not think is appropriate).

And is he really a politician anymore? Or a political pundit?

If, after 9/11, Bush came out and immediately got us off foreign oil and out of the ME, I don't think we would be so worried about it. That would be so much better than going to war and becoming more intrusive in our lives.

That is nothing but a dream that would take 15/20 yrs to even have a chance of occurring.

You might as well get used to the idea we will be involved all over the world(and importing oil) unless a catastrophic event changes things..

I used to dream too,till reality kept slapping me around ;)

WTH keep dreaming...reality kinda sucks anyway :cheers:

That is nothing but a dream that would take 15/20 yrs to even have a chance of occurring.

You might as well get used to the idea we will be involved all over the world(and importing oil) unless a catastrophic event changes things..

I used to dream too,till reality kept slapping me around ;)

WTH keep dreaming...reality kinda sucks anyway :cheers:

Perfect.:cheers::(

If, after 9/11, Bush came out and immediately got us off foreign oil and out of the ME, I don't think we would be so worried about it. That would be so much better than going to war and becoming more intrusive in our lives.

That would have meant drilling offshore,in Alaska, pulling restrictions on land that was federalised for the purpose to prevent drilling and logging.

I'm Ok with that as long as Congress also get rid punitive excise taxes like the winfall profit tax and other mandates.

Even a Generation Ipod type I'm sure has seen the board game RISK.

If the main buffer/deterrant (USA) is removed from the M.E. then Iran will slide thru Iraq then into a portion of Saudi overnight and have a significant grip on Oil for the world as well as guarantee there would be no freedom for the residents.

But I'm sure a couple million refugees begging for asylum here is better than assisting their own country in being safe and free.

That would have meant drilling offshore,in Alaska, pulling restrictions on land that was federalised for the purpose to prevent drilling and logging.

I'm Ok with that as long as Congress also get rid punitive excise taxes like the winfall profit tax and other mandates.

Even a Generation Ipod type I'm sure has seen the board game RISK.

If the main buffer/deterrant (USA) is removed from the M.E. then Iran will slide thru Iraq then into a portion of Saudi overnight and have a significant grip on Oil for the world as well as guarantee there would be no freedom for the residents.

But I'm sure a couple million refugees begging for asylum here is better than assisting their own country in being safe and free.

I agreed with you until you went back in your deep end.

Have you ever heard me complain about helping Kuwait?

If Iran stepped foot into another country and we got involved, that is a completely different scenario than what we have now.

If, after 9/11, we started drilling, built refineries, used coal that we already have and invested the amount of money we have put into the war in alternative energy, we would have more money, more people alive, less ME refugees coming in (because despite your point, war brings them in even if we are making it) and more independence and more jobs.

But stick to your we need war because they told me so shtick if it helps you sleep at night. It must be the only way.:doh:

The all caps "ALLOWED" with multiple explanation marks is very Olberman-esque of you. If you would have repeated it a couple of times then you would have been "spot on".

Why thank you, I will take that as a compliment even though I know that wasn't your intent.

I disagree with what he said because it is a stupid thing to say.

Good, at least someone thinks it was a moronic thing to say as well.

I don't think he said it was being done for "political ratings". Seems to me he is saying it would serve as a reminder of why our policies are needed(which I do not think is appropriate).

I think you could have a valid argument considering the context of the rest of his answer. I was just flabbergasted that a politician would actually say those words, it was a total :wtf: was he thinking???

I don't see what the big deal is.

He pointed out how successful the Bush Administration and proactive Americans are at preventing more terrorists attacks but how the liberal media and Congress has downplayed the successes to the point that people not knowing that this is an every day battle, thinks 9-11 was a fluke and there are no terrorist threats in America would figuratively nice an attack to be reminded.

Our enemy is the most patient in the world. Just like liberals using incrementalism to eventually get their unpopular agenda, principles, policies pushed into society they can wait month and years to deliver a major hit.

I still think Gingrich is wrong both for saying it and in his thinking.

The one thing the Bush Administration has to trumpet about is that there have been no domestic attacks. The moment there is a domestic attack or a series of domestic attacks, people will become angry at the missing national guard, the misspent money, and blame the attacks on a diversionary war that left our borders and points of interest unprotected.

I don't think that is a wholly fair complaint, but I guarantee that's what would happen. The idea that Republicans allowing terrorism would make Republicans seem better suited to stopping terrorism is just absurd.

How would you live with yourself?

"I'm sorry son. We could have stopped the attack that killed your mom and dad, but we had to let it go so we could make a political point."

Some of you seem to think that would be acceptable, people dieing so you can make a politcal point. Wow. :doh:

Just curious, how many of you saying these things are the same people who thought Clinton wagged the dog with the missle strikes during Monicagate (and wanted him impeached for that as well). :doh: seriously :doh:

I still think Gingrich is wrong both for saying it and in his thinking.

The one thing the Bush Administration has to trumpet about is that there have been no domestic attacks. The moment there is a domestic attack or a series of domestic attacks, people will become angry at the missing national guard, the misspent money, and blame the attacks on a diversionary war that left our borders and points of interest unprotected.

I don't think that is a wholly fair complaint, but I guarantee that's what would happen. The idea that Republicans allowing terrorism would make Republicans seem better suited to stopping terrorism is just absurd.

Wrong we will point the finger at the democrat nut jobs that voted to remove a process that was preventing attacks on our soil.

Gotta agree with you here. We already saw republicans point the finger at Clinton for 9-11... they'll find a way to blame a democrat.

9-11 did happen 5 months after GW took office, If you have any idea how slow the government works, GW's national security policy at that time was left over from the Clinton years.

lol February - 7 months :laugh:

This makes a difference, 2 months government time is like 3 years normal persons time.

Again. . .WHEN is the president inaugurated???

How you think you have the right to call other people nitwits when your basic math and history is worse than a second grader is beyond me. I'm surprised you even know how to spell nut job :doh:

:secret: the president is inaugurated on January 20th every 4 years. :doh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twentieth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

I really don't see anything wrong with what he said.

He wasn't advocating deaths of Americans, he was discussing how (in his view) we have become complacent as a nation. He wasn't wishing that anything bad had happened, he was just discussing the dilemma he feels the Bush Administration is in because no other attacks have occurred on American soil.

Seriously, this doesn't bother me a bit.

I hate it when people on the right grab a sentence out of context and go to town attacking a democrat, and I don't condone it going the other way either. Its all bull :pooh:

How you think you have the right to call other people nitwits when your basic math and history is worse than a second grader is beyond me. I'm surprised you even know how to spell nut job :doh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twentieth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

that was freaking amazing

and if the president isnt reponsible for the govenrment 8 months into his term, then he's not responsible 4 years into it either. :2cents:

I might add that if Obama had said something as prone to misconstruction as this, Rush Hannity and the rest of the attack dogs would not let up for months, years. But that would be bull :pooh: also.

It's safe to say that both sides are licking their chops at whatever they can find to wreck the other side. It's what election campaigns are about these days.

Chom, you're better than this. You're doing exactly what you bemoan Republicans for doing all the time, twisting words to make the other party seem unpatriotic. SpringfieldSkins is completely dead on. This kind of thinking only divides Americans on stupid, petty partisan lines, turning the RUNNING OF OUR COUNTRY into an us vs them sporting event between parties.

I see nothing wrong with his comments. In fact, I find myself defending conservatives from liberal attacks than defending liberals from conservative attacks lately. It's kind of wierd and I don't like it. It harkens me to the conservative attack mode of the late 90's.

Message to liberals: Please don't do the same thing the conservatives did when they were in power, it will only end of backfiring on you. You have the power now. Use it wisely. You have the power, now make something of it. The constant attacks will only stall your success.

1. Chom, you're better than this. 2. You're doing exactly what you bemoan Republicans for doing all the time, twisting words to make the other party seem unpatriotic. SpringfieldSkins is completely dead on. This kind of thinking only divides Americans on stupid, petty partisan lines, turning the RUNNING OF OUR COUNTRY into an us vs them sporting event between parties.

1. No, he isn't.

2. Ummmm, his reply will include something about a straw man, not knowing what you're talking about, republicans being evil, democrats being good, and generally dodging and wiggling his way out of the accusation, unscathed in his mind.

I agree with the thinking dividing the country. It's silly for both sides to think that it has to be their way or the highway. Thats not how things get negotiated, thats not how things get accomplished and thats an illogical and ignorant way of looking at things.

Saddest thing is that the divide in this country is being split further and further apart, no one wants to work together to make things right. No one is willing to concede anything on any level.

Dude, I suck, absolutely suck with dates. When interviewed, I even said remembering dates is one of my biggest weakness. I am not sure why, but I have a hard with dates. Hell I got one of my sisters b-days mixed with my moms once even though they are 2 days apart. I have four older sisters and I still get thier birtdays mixed up. Hell I have even worked at innaugural balls in downtown, you would think I should know. For some reason I was thinking it was late Febrary.

Shoot me.

Archived