Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Windows 7 a little less exciting

bobisimo

MS is now referring to Windows 7, which was supposed to be [insert marketing hype that almost no one believed here], as just an evolution of Vista.

Who saw that one coming?! :)

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/28/0315244&from=rss

its interesting hearing people talk about ubuntu in the thread -- i think ubuntu is nearly ready for the mainstream to pick it up. it just works so unbelievably well. all it needs is for wine to become a wee bit more developed and microsoft is going to be in BIG trouble.

To me, it seems more like a novelty and less of an operating system. While cool, it lacks real world functionality. What could we use this cool new operating system to do here on ES that we couldn't do before?

yep flipping back and forth in someones medical chart is not functional :doh:

moving through projects at your finger tip, while drawing a new design of a network and then having software fix it for you

the sky is the limit with that type of functionality, heck it could be a rebirth of the newspaper etc....

I love the idea of "touch" technology. I mean, I'd prefer the iPod Touch over the iPod Classic (if only they had one with a decent-sized hard drive). My problem is that, well... can't we already utilize this technology? Do we really need Windows XP "Part 3" to get at touch technology via Windows? But whatever. If that's what it takes to get it, then so be it. :)

As for Ubuntu, I love it, too. It's the only Linux OS I've really played around with, but I like it. I'm sure it would be much more popular if the gaming industry hadn't made the mistake of signing their life away to Direct X. :)

yep flipping back and forth in someones medical chart is not functional :doh:

moving through projects at your finger tip, while drawing a new design of a network and then having software fix it for you

the sky is the limit with that type of functionality, heck it could be a rebirth of the newspaper etc....

Dude. None of it is new. Lot's of people have been developing this. Microsoft probably is licensing it. Apple already has some of it ON A PHONE.

Let's see how long it takes for this to come to market. Let's see if they can actually make it work for more than a marketing video. :rolleyes:

To me, it seems more like a novelty and less of an operating system. While cool, it lacks real world functionality. What could we use this cool new operating system to do here on ES that we couldn't do before?
are you seriously evaluating the value and effectiveness of an operating system on what you can do on a friggin message board?

Archived