Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playstation 3 Yellow Light of Death

Springfield

Well, there we have it... the "Yellow light of death". This happened to my Playstation 3 Saturday night as I was having a party and streaming music from my PC to my PS3. I'm pretty much sure that my PS3 is completely ****ed.

I had my PS3 enclosed in a AV unit, so it didn't get much circulation but I was under the impression that the PS3 would shut off prior to frying anything to prevent complete failure.

I bought my PS3 in November of 2006, so I am pretty sure Sony would do nothing to help me and all of the stuff I've read about on the interwebs support that statement.

I have tried the following:

1) Flip the power switch on the back. No difference.

2) Unplug the unit, both from the wall and from the PS3. No difference.

3) Remove and then reinstall the HDD. No difference.

Here is a video of what the "Yellow light of death" looks like.

The light turns green, then turns yellow and red. It beeps 3 times and then the red light starts flashing.

GOOD NEWS: I found my reciept about halfway through writing this post and the 1 year replacement plan I thought I had was actually a 2 year replacement plan. I'll be off to Best Buy here shortly to have my PS3 replaced.

In any case, I thought I would just spread the word about the PS3's failure and inform anyone who has one about this potential failure.

God hope it wasn't a 20, 60, or 80gb sku or you're out of luck for the most part. They're probably gonna give a 40gb model and a check for the difference. Not a big deal if you don't care for PS2 BC and all the front slots. Me I need all that since I have such a large library of ps1 and ps2 games that I need to beat or replay.

I've had mine only since about last Christmas, but no, the PS3 will not shutdown once it hits a certain threshold temp. You should really keep it better ventilated.

I try. I keep the door of the AV unit open, except on Saturday night I was a little under the infuience and I didn't think the PS3 would be under such a load if it wasn't playing discs. I closed both doors and then boom, there I was with no Rock Band and no GTA4.

God hope it wasn't a 20, 60, or 80gb sku or you're out of luck for the most part. They're probably gonna give a 40gb model and a check for the difference. Not a big deal if you don't care for PS2 BC and all the front slots. Me I need all that since I have such a large library of ps1 and ps2 games that I need to beat or replay.

It is a 20 gb all black model. Has no card reader but did play PS2 games. I don't think I've played a PS2 game on that bad boy since day one when I wanted to see how good a PS2 game would look on a PS3.

Losing the capibility of PS2 games isn't that big a deal to me, however I did pay $500 for it so hopefully they give me something of equivelant value or at least throw in one of those new Dualshock 3 controllers.

Yeah controllers are getting pretty expensive this gen. But you can at least get a Dual Shock 3 for $35 brand new with free shipping if you know where to look.

probably because they're all proprietary and there's no competition from third parties.

Yeah controllers are getting pretty expensive this gen. But you can at least get a Dual Shock 3 for $35 brand new with free shipping if you know where to look.

Where would this be? The last dual shock 3 I ordered was 55 bucks and I just sent it back(had it 2 weeks) since the square button kept sticking.

probably because they're all proprietary and there's no competition from third parties.

Hehe yeah but I refuse to shell out $50 dollars for rumble. My sixaxis works just fine and I got those for only $20 each in december. Now $35 is reasonable price for a wireless controller, and now I got rumble for my huge library of ps1 and 2 games. Oh yeah and PS3 games too.

Where would this be? The last dual shock 3 I ordered was 55 bucks and I just sent it back(had it 2 weeks) since the square button kept sticking.

Not to sure I'm allowed to post the website. Let me warn you though it only works for one, the rest you have to pay $45 each unless you want to use multiple Credit/Check cards.

Me I just use the same card and different emails accounts.:D

My PS3 went cuckoo a few months ago, after I foolishly turned it off while the disk was being accessed. (I was in a hurry and wasn't even thinking. Lesson learned.)

I called Sony, and they were very helpful in getting it replaced at zero cost to me -- even though it was outside its 90 day window, or whatever the warranty period is that comes with the box. I hadn't bought any extended warranty or replacement plan of any kind.

In addition to the unit itself, all they asked for was a copy of the original receipt (which didn't have to say "Sony PS3 60GB," but rather just had to show that I paid $x on a certain date for something at a retailer that carries PS3). I don't remember if they asked for the UPC from the PS3 box; maybe I sent that in for the free Blu-ray discs earlier.

Since I have the sweet-spot 60GB unit, Sony replaced it with another 60GB unit. In fact, the materials they sent me included an assurance that they wouldn't replace it with any other unit. That made me very happy.

I think I had my PS3 back in 2 weeks. I was very impressed with Sony's service, especially after reading about what some folks went through to get their 360s replaced.

The PS3 doesn't seem to generate much heat, but I'm sure it's MUCH warmer inside that case than immediately outside it. So I keep it in my entertainment center, but with plenty of room behind and above it to promote airflow.

File this under user error. Your PS3 needs to have lots of ventilation. I wouldn't take any chances of having mine get overheated. Mine sits on top of my entertainment center in the open air.

:laugh: I thought this was pretty funny. I heard another member saying you took your allegiance to PS3 way too far. I'm not sure what to believe but in this case you simply say it's the users' fault?

There are 3 complaints in this thread already. I am a PS fan, but the other poster's claims of you being a PS homer are starting to materialize.

:laugh: I thought this was pretty funny. I heard another member saying you took your allegiance to PS3 way too far. I'm not sure what to believe but in this case you simply say it's the users' fault?

There are 3 complaints in this thread already. I am a PS fan, but the other poster's claims of you being a PS homer are starting to materialize.

Eh while that maybe the case, you gotta take care of your **** too. I paid good money for my PS3 and I take the necessary steps to try and keep it in working order

they aren't claims, they're facts. DD is a complete homer.

I didn't count three complaints.

My PS3 problem was definitely my own fault. I hope you didn't count it as a complaint.

Everyone knows Disco Dave is a total homer. That having been said, you should NEVER leave a gaming system or computer in an area with minimal ventilation. This really should be common sense but a lot of people seem to ignore it. :2cents:

I just got back from Best Buy. They exchanged my old 20 gb for a new 40 gb PS3, on top of that, I got $100 back which was more than enough to buy another 2 year replacement plan. All in all it was cool. Only thing that sucks is that I lost my burnt copy of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and all of my saved data.

Looks like I'm starting GTA4 all over again!

This failure may be due to me leaving the PS3 inside a hot AV unit, which I would be willing to admit to. It does seem like the "Yellow light of death" has happened to other folks who may have been not as "harsh" on their PS3. Anyhow, I'm setting my PS3 up on top of the AV unit now so that it has plenty of fresh air. We'll see what happens.

It does seem like the "Yellow light of death" has happened to other folks who may have been not as "harsh" on their PS3.

Well, yeah... there will always be a chance that an electronic device will just fail for no easily discernable reasoning. On the whole, though, Sony's quality control has been pretty good.

Imagine that.:silly:

Like I said, I normally leave the doors open to it when I use the PS3. I was having a party, a little under the influience, streaming music. I figured, what's the harm, this sounded perfectly alright in my enlightened state of being. I had done it before without any harm and I figured the PS3 would be OK since I wasn't taxing the processing power of it by streaming music.

All I'm saying is... I was drunk, and drunk people do funny things, funny things that may end up costing a lot of money. But, in all sober discussion (kidding, I'm not so sober right now), it could happen to anyone.

I'm not perfect, and I'll admit when I made a mistake. Let's just not turn this into a "PS3 is infallable and no one can break it... except for an idiot" thread. Of all of the research I did on the interwebs, that's how most of turned out. It could happen to anyone (although being drunk certainly increases your chances) and I wanted to point out a problem with the coveted PS3 that I had never seen before.

On that note... I'm an idiot, but now I've learned from my mistake and I will take better care of my PS3.

Like I said, I normally leave the doors open to it when I use the PS3. I was having a party, a little under the influience, streaming music. I figured, what's the harm, this sounded perfectly alright in my enlightened state of being. I had done it before without any harm and I figured the PS3 would be OK since I wasn't taxing the processing power of it by streaming music.

All I'm saying is... I was drunk, and drunk people do funny things, funny things that may end up costing a lot of money. But, in all sober discussion (kidding, I'm not so sober right now), it could happen to anyone.

I'm not perfect, and I'll admit when I made a mistake. Let's just not turn this into a "PS3 is infallable and no one can break it... except for an idiot" thread. Of all of the research I did on the interwebs, that's how most of turned out. It could happen to anyone (although being drunk certainly increases your chances) and I wanted to point out a problem with the coveted PS3 that I had never seen before.

On that note... I'm an idiot, but now I've learned from my mistake and I will take better care of my PS3.

I was messing with you.

I agree, however, that messing with such an expensive piece of equipment while drunk is a baaaaddd idea.:)

Archived