Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playstation 3 Yellow Light of Death

Springfield

Well, yeah... there will always be a chance that an electronic device will just fail for no easily discernable reasoning. On the whole, though, Sony's quality control has been pretty good.

I agree 100%, Sony certainly doesn't seem to have the mass amount of problem that Microsoft had. Which is why I won't have a 360 and I didn't OP with something along the lines of "I broke my PS3, here is the symptom, I'm jumping ship for a much better product in the 360."

I like my PS3, eventhough many of my friends have a 360 I won't fret. I WILL NOT BE LED BY THE MASSES!

I was messing with you.

I agree, however, that messing with such an expensive piece of equipment while drunk is a baaaaddd idea.:)

I know you were messing around. I wanted to put forth the notion that most of the other threads, on the PS board, came across as "there is no such thing as a yellow light of death, you are trolling, you are a moron, go away" type of way. The PS boards literally offered no help (I didn't post, just read what other people had posted). This probably could be seen in a good light, not many people have had problems with their equipment so someone coming to them asking for help will be treated as a liar.

I just used your quote as a catalyst for that. The PS3 still rules. Now get off my back and go eat sand!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I really don?t mind faulty hardware. Had my fair share of consoles that were built poorly, like the NES with all that blowing and shifting the cartridges were a pain. Went through 3 of them, and I can't forget my skipping have to play it at an angle playstation. Went through 2of those and it wasn't pretty. And who could forget the launch PS2. I had to send it in and get repaired twice. Only reason I've put with all the grief is because those consoles had such a stellar library of games. Hopefully the 360 gets a huge stellar library of games that it will get the same pass. I went with the PS3 because I want to play the next MGS and Final Fantasy game. Sorry for this long paragraph, posting on my PS3.

Yes the failure rate played a part in my decision but it's always the games that get me to buy consoles. Probably would've got a 360 if I knew those games were getting ported there in the future. All my friends have 360s anyway. Also got a Wii because I love Zelda, Smash Brothers, Metroid Prime, and the Mario Kart series. So I guess that makes me a game fanboy and I'm fine with that, so flame away.

get a 360. Haven't had a problem with mine in over 2 years.

Believe me I want one bad, Ninja Gaiden 2 is about to come out . I prefer LIVE over PSN(might change if HOME ever comes out) but I'm not made of money and i've got 5 other platforms I got to buy games for. Looking to grab one at the end of the year when the price drops. I want the Premium version unless a new model comes out with built in wireless; here's hoping. :)

Believe me I want one bad, Ninja Gaiden 2 is about to come out . I prefer LIVE over PSN(might change if HOME ever comes out) but I'm not made of money and i've got 5 other platforms I got to buy games for. Looking to grab one at the end of the year when the price drops. I want the Premium version unless a new model comes out with built in wireless; here's hoping. :)

Funny thing, I never even took into account failure rate when buying the PS3. I had a PS2, plus PS3 is the better technology. PS3 wins, hands down. If the PS3 had the same failure rate as the 360 I'd still be here playing my PS3.

Had my fair share of consoles that were built poorly, like the NES with all that blowing and shifting the cartridges were a pain.

Really? That was half the fun of owning a NES. I always knew, if I tried hard enough I could get it to work. Best system ever. Love the hold down reset and power and let go of reset. Love it!

Also, I had a launch day PS2 and didn't have a problem for at least 2 years. I cleaned it out and it would read my discs again. With my PS3, there didn't seem to be such a similar fix.

Yes the failure rate played a part in my decision

No offense but I've owned gaming systems since the NES. This includes in this exact order: NES, Sega Genisis, Sega Saturn, PS, PS2, and now PS3.

I'd have to say the failure rate never plays into my mind because all gaming systems will have failure when they are first put on the shelves but a lot of mindless impatient drones pick them up anyhow and take their chances. I usually wait until a year or close to it so most of the bugs are worked out with the system.

Back to the topic of your quote, I do believe that if you have had this many failures in your gaming tenure then I would consider the bizzare coincedence that it happens to you on practically every system and see what the common denominator is. Out of all of the systems I have owned the NES & Sega Genisis were the only two that you had to "play with" to get them to operate sometimes but that is largely due to them being cartidge systems. I'd say the biggest thing is, comparing me to friends who have had issues with systems, the way they treat them. Do you throw your controller? Do you thrown your controller at your system? Is your system ventilated well? I mean just dusting your system on a weekly or bi-weekly basis helps, cleanliness helps in general. Simple common knowledge things IMO have helped me maintain all of my systems till the day I gave them away or sold them (minimum of 2 years or longer each).

Call it what you will but the main reason any system fails is due to user failures in terms of ventilation or mistreatment. Always funny to hear the complaints though when you most likely don't get the full story.

:2cents:

Whoa whoa whoa you're misunderstanding me. Failure rate plays a small part in my decision IF any at all. I buy systems because of games and games alone. All that other stuff like CD playback (ps1) DVD playback(PS2), downloadable movies(360) and Blu ray(PS3) is just a bonus. Take all those away on those consoles and I'd STILL own one. Don't have a 360 but I say why in my third paragraph.

And come on I played on my ps1 alot, but after so long the laser cant read the disc so well. It's not my fault I spent a vast majority of my time on it playing rpgs and the cutscenes skipped here and there. And I'm sorry but i'm not the only one that had problems with the launch ps2 units, my unit flat out refuses to play dvds, struggles to play ps1 games but I got alot of years and games out of it so I can't complain. I take good care of my consoles. I use a compressed air can, don't put them on the rug, and keep them well ventilated. Come to think of it most of my friends had problems with theirs as well, but that's not really important. At least both companies fixed their consoles with revisions(NES, PS1, PS2) and they had a great library of games so I'm not really upset.

I also agree that the 360 failure rate is pretty high, but it seems Microsoft is trying to fix that with their own revisions. Not to sure(someone that knows this it be nice to know) but the new models have a lower percentage of failure rates than the older models. I don't own one mind you because A. I'm not made of money, and B. while I want to play most of the 360s rpg games, I'm not really into shooters and I'm such a Final Fantasy and MGS fanboy. Also real glad that Resident Evil 5 is going to be on both systems.

Really? That was half the fun of owning a NES. I always knew, if I tried hard enough I could get it to work. Best system ever. Love the hold down reset and power and let go of reset. Love it!

A Clean Game Genine would fix that problem. You didn't even have to put in the cheat codes and it would make any game that your picky NES wouldn't play work.

With the Playstation all you had to do was flip that batch upside down and no skipping, just playing. I still have my launch PS2, it runs like a top and I've used it like mad and it still runs like I just bought it.

Yes the failure rate played a part in my decision
Whoa whoa whoa you're misunderstanding me. Failure rate plays a small part in my decision IF any at all.

That's the only reason for the confusion. The rest isn't a personal jab at you it is simply my opinion on the whole subject matter in general.

No offense but I've owned gaming systems since the NES. This includes in this exact order: NES, Sega Genisis, Sega Saturn, PS, PS2, and now PS3.

Whoa big man with his systems, jk. I have a friend that does this, its called being the 'one-upper', but for some reason they one up only to get shot down again by another one-upper. In this case, it will be me:

Atari 2600

Wireless NES

Wireless SNES

Wireless Sega Genesis

N64

3DO

Wii

PS3

Laptop emulator w/ 80 GB's of random systems I haven't found yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjK-dl0cWlI

A Clean Game Genine would fix that problem. You didn't even have to put in the cheat codes and it would make any game that your picky NES wouldn't play work.

With the Playstation all you had to do was flip that batch upside down and no skipping, just playing. I still have my launch PS2, it runs like a top and I've used it like mad and it still runs like I just bought it.

See not just making this stuff up and only listed common problems, and believe me I turned it at 3 angles before that gen was done. Was a godsend to me that the PS2 could play PS1 games and glad you lucked out with your PS2. And Titaw where were you when I was a kid? I had no idea there was a way to fix the blowing and shaking with just a Game Genie. Almost blew a lung out trying to get Double Dragon II working back in the day.:laugh:

Back to the topic of your quote, I do believe that if you have had this many failures in your gaming tenure then I would consider the bizzare coincedence that it happens to you on practically every system and see what the common denominator is. Out of all of the systems I have owned the NES & Sega Genisis were the only two that you had to "play with" to get them to operate sometimes but that is largely due to them being cartidge systems. I'd say the biggest thing is, comparing me to friends who have had issues with systems, the way they treat them. Do you throw your controller? Do you thrown your controller at your system? Is your system ventilated well? I mean just dusting your system on a weekly or bi-weekly basis helps, cleanliness helps in general. Simple common knowledge things IMO have helped me maintain all of my systems till the day I gave them away or sold them (minimum of 2 years or longer each).

No not really. My Gameboy Color, Super Nintendo, Gameboy Advance, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube and PSP work just fine. I admit I put alot of playtime on my gaming consoles but I know I need to take care of them. It might be too early to call but the PS3 seems to be Sony's best made console imo. And again like I said besides the N64, Gamecube and Dreamcast(not to sure if true) both companies worked on fixing their respective consoles. They just don't get much grief for the most part because of their library of games.

See not just making this stuff up and only listed common problems, and believe me I turned it at 3 angles before that gen was done. Was a godsend to me that the PS2 could play PS1 games and glad you lucked out with your PS2. And Titaw where were you when I was a kid? I had no idea there was a way to fix the blowing and shaking with just a Game Genie. Almost blew a lung out trying to get Double Dragon II working back in the day.:laugh:

Oh trust me I did my fare share of blowing and trying to get them to work when you put them in and pushed it down so it had a tight fit. We bought a game genine because we wanted to be able to beat games that were simply impossible without it. Once we figured out that we didn't have to put in a code and the thing would work. Our whole library opened back up!

:laugh: I thought this was pretty funny. I heard another member saying you took your allegiance to PS3 way too far. I'm not sure what to believe but in this case you simply say it's the users' fault?

There are 3 complaints in this thread already. I am a PS fan, but the other poster's claims of you being a PS homer are starting to materialize.

Are you serious? Everyone knows that the PS3 needs to be well ventilated. The OP admitted that the PS3 was in an enclosed entertainment center. That caused the PS3 to become overheated. The only one who is at fault for that PS3 to die is the OP. It's not Sony's fault that the OP didn't give the PS3 enough breathing room. Get a F'n clue.

Are you serious? Everyone knows that the PS3 needs to be well ventilated. The OP admitted that the PS3 was in an enclosed entertainment center. That caused the PS3 to become overheated. The only one who is at fault for that PS3 to die is the OP. It's not Sony's fault that the OP didn't give the PS3 enough breathing room. Get a F'n clue.

My OP wasn't really a complaint. I was really just saying, "Here is what happens if your PS3 takes a ****. Nothing you can do about it."

It wasn't a complaint and I admit it was my fault. That said, I did read elsewhere that others did have this problem without the same circumstances as mine. Basically the yellow light means that there is a hardware fault and the PS3 is unable to power up.

What happened to me was my fault, but my point is it could happen to anyone. Sony is great and I love their system, but the Playstation 3 is not infallable. It certainly doesn't have the same failure rate as the 360 but nothing in this world is perfect.

Are you serious? Everyone knows that the PS3 needs to be well ventilated. The OP admitted that the PS3 was in an enclosed entertainment center. That caused the PS3 to become overheated.

No bull, I have mine out in the open next to the Wii and the PS3 kicks out enough heat to make the Wii warm. Keeping that bad boy in an AV unit wasn't the best idea but you do what you have to do(with regards to saving space).

Archived