Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kelley vs Thomas: Greater Impact as a Rookie (Merged)

Skins&Bones

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It's way to early to even tell. I think this pole should be redone after a couple of preseason games. When reading the interviews, it seems Thomas' has the work ethic and chip on his shoulder. So my vote will go to Thomas. I just hope both make some solid contributions to the offense this year. With the additions of these guys on the team though, I can't wait to see what Moss and ARE do this season. I'm really excited to the see the YAC ARE puts up in this new system. Get him with the ball in the open field beyond the front seven, I think we'll see the player everyone expected when we first signed him.

I picked Kelley, not because I think that he's a better overall player than Thomas or even that he will see more playing time than Thomas. I just think that as soon as Campbell remembers how to through a fade pattern near the goal line Kelley is going to be his favorite target. He seems to have better leaping ability and a few inches in height.

^_ there it is, campbell LOVES to throw the fade, and Im just giddy to see who stands out. I dont care who it is, as long as we get great production out of someone. (I'd be even HAPPIER if MIx turned into somethign special, because we stole him from the giants PS, and they are sour as hell. PLus, he's a UDFA) Campbell raves about Mix though, kinda hard to argue with that. TEams better watch out if MIx and Campbell get in rhythm

Mix needs to lose about 15 pounds before the season starts. I was listening in on redskins radio yesterday and vinny said mix is around 245-250. If he dropped a little weight he would be quicker and faster, which would not only help his chances of making the team but give him a chance to see more time on the field.

Didn't Thomas play in more of a pro style offense?

I believe Thomas will due to getting more playing time due to him being more explosive and more physical.

I'm not sure of the offense the Mich St ran, but i know a lot of Thomas' catches were bubble screens. I for one am tired of the wr screens that were called at least 1 time every drive. Sometimes you can pop a screen i.e. santana vs chiefs, but there needs to be an element of suprise there. I'm not saying its all Thomas can do. I think if Zorn can refine his route running, which needs help as he didn't do a whole lot in college, i think he can be great. 6'2" 4.4 speed running sharp routes? that's a whole lot to cover. If he puts the time and effort in i think he can be better than Kelly.

However, i also do like Kelly. i like him for redzone, as many other people said, and i like him in 3rd and short also. Zorn loves his burst off the line, and at 6'4" The guy will be flat out moving the chains. I love both picks, better than i love the Davis pick. I like both of the guys so i hope the guy that proves me wrong is Davis. If he can make an impact along with the other rooks, we'll have a top 10 offense.

I consider run blocking making an impact, and that I think Thomas will occasionally line up in the slot inside the 20, I think Thomas will be more productive. I predict they score the same abount of TDs but Thomas is in to block on more running plays. Pretty sure the guy handles most DBs he faces on running plays.

Mix needs to lose about 15 pounds before the season starts. I was listening in on redskins radio yesterday and vinny said mix is around 245-250. If he dropped a little weight he would be quicker and faster, which would not only help his chances of making the team but give him a chance to see more time on the field.

Yeah, Mix used to be a Tight-End I believe. He's a pretty big dude, but I think he only needs to drop about 15lbs then add 5lbs in lean muscle mass. I remember hearing that if his weight balloons, he will be switched to TE because a WR can't be over like 250 or something like that.

I disagree. I think one of the rookie WRs WILL make a significant contribution in 2008. Moss has not shown himself to be a guy you can count on for 16 games. Randle El just underwent a scope for floating cartilage in his knee.

My guess is because of his speed Thomas will be the one to have the greater impact.

I selected Kelley, and was surprised by the fact that Thomas was so far ahead.

I chose Kelly simply because he seems to be able to get open quickly and is a tall target. I suspect we won't have time for really long patterns and Santana would be the primary for those. I have a hunch that in the long-run Thomas may turn out to be our 'superstar WR' -- assuming he can hang on to those less-than-catchable passes that Campbell throws. He's got so much potential, and is still learning the game.

Heck, this is all is simply speculation. We first need to watch over the summer and first few regular season games, to see how the team meshes together, and what game these guys bring.

Strangely, I suspect that ARE is going to be doing a lot of different things this year, so we should see probably these Kelley and Thomas on the field a lot more.

I agree w/ Wyvern. Thomas may turn into our solid #1 but I think Kelly will give us the one thing we need, Redzone effictiveness.

I can't wait for 3rd and goal situations w/ Kelly, Moss, ARE, and Cooley in the mix. That will be truly a package opposing D's will not want to see.

Thomas has #1 potential in my mind, but like all receivers in this draft, he's got a question mark, which are concerns is that he's a one-year wonder. If he had another year in college and produced at the same level, Thomas is an early first-rounder.

That said, I think he'll have an impact, due to the multiple receiver sets we'll run, but Kelly's will be greater. Kelly is a much bigger target for Campbell, and will be looked at in the red zone. Thomas might beat Kelly yardage-wise, but I imagine that Kelly will have much more TD receptions and be the redzone threat at receiver we missed last season.

I honestly think its a toss-up and the real losers will be Moss and Randel-El. I see them having another injury-plagued season filled with dropping a lot of Campbell's balls forcing Zorn to turn to his rookies more and depend on them. ANd I can see them both having pretty good years, but to echo the earlier comments, I can see Thomas having more catches and yards while Kelly has more touchdowns.

My prediction:

Thomas 600 yarda 4 TDs

Kelly 400 yards 8 TDs.

By game 12, they're pressing for starting jobs.

That said, I think he'll have an impact, due to the multiple receiver sets we'll run, but Kelly's will be greater. Kelly is a much bigger target for Campbell, and will be looked at in the red zone. Thomas might beat Kelly yardage-wise, but I imagine that Kelly will have much more TD receptions and be the redzone threat at receiver we missed last season.

This is why it probably will depend on who gets more time. If all goes as planned you'll be right about who gets the TDs and Recs.

I honestly think its a toss-up and the real losers will be Moss and Randel-El. I see them having another injury-plagued season filled with dropping a lot of Campbell's balls forcing Zorn to turn to his rookies more and depend on them. ANd I can see them both having pretty good years, but to echo the earlier comments, I can see Thomas having more catches and yards while Kelly has more touchdowns.

You don't have faith in the new med staff? :D If ARE or Moss misses significant time they will be in serious danger of losing playing time, starting roles, and their respective jobs.

kelley played in bigtime competition and has sticky and sure hands than thomas. thomas will struggle with catches this year

I don't think thomas will struggle. I think he will be a big part of moving the ball downfield for long drives. Like alot of others have said i think he'll end up with mroe catches than kelly, but fewer TD's

You don't have faith in the new med staff? :D If ARE or Moss misses significant time they will be in serious danger of losing playing time, starting roles, and their respective jobs.

I wouldn't say its lack of faith in the med staff as much as it is lack of faith in them going across the middle. I was very critical of our WRs last year with the number of drops they had. it seemed like they couldn't handle Campbell's balls, and if thats the case then they may need to get benched. But because of their frailty (particularly Moss), I can see him getting injured somewhere around midseason, then Thomas or Kelly starting in his place and never losing the job.

I can really see Kelly having a similar season to Dwayne Bowe last year. And maybe Thomas could do something similar to Berriman in Chicago. Those are the type of things on my mind right now.

Archived