Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone Else Pleased The Trades for Johnson, Boldin, Williams Fell Through?

bulldog

the Redskins by keeping the picks just saved themselves a boatload of money and now have depth at WR and TE in case there are injuries. If Zorn and his staff are the teachers they are reputed to be these players can grow with Campbell and be there when Jason is ready to lead a team deep into the playoffs.

I'm thrilled that we didn't get Chad Johnson, however, I would have had no problem w/ them trading for Boldin :)

I also wouldn't mind if the Skins traded a pick for another defensive lineman -- Jason Taylor used to be one of my favorite players, but I'm not too sure how well he's been performing recently.

Taylor is going to be 34 by September. That's why Parcells is looking to unload him. We have enough age right now to work through on the roster, especially on the lines.

If the Redskins were a younger team that was knocking on the door for a Super Bowl, perhaps you roll the dice on Taylor.

But this team is not that close.

Absolutely. I think you hit on it with the amount of cash saved and depth. Granted, one of those big name guys could have made a more immediate impact, but we aren't bogged down by another monstrous contract.

If any of these receivers turn into top notch guys .. it will be at a great value for the next few years. We'll have more financial maneuverability to address the lines through targeting younger guys through FA over the next couple of years.

There are still areas to be addressed .. but a couple of years worth of this kind of discipline from the front office and we could really lay a foundation for this team for years to come.

I'll be honest - I was in the "Get Chad Johnson" camp, though I wasn't entirely certain giving 2 first rounders was a wise idea. Now, I am very, VERY glad we didn't get him, or any big name WR.

While it's anyone guess if Devin Thomas, Fred Davis, and Malcolm Kelly will pan out to what they have the potential to become, the fact is we now have DEPTH and YOUTH at WR and TE for years to come. Moreover, we got them at a cheap price tag and were able to trade down, grab more picks, and still nab who was the top WR prospect on most boards.

Not only am I pleased we didn't do this, but I'm also excited we didn't do this. Why? Because of the potential these guys bring. Thomas seems to have a great attitude and is the big WR we need. We also have a potent redzone threat and weapons for JC to succeed.

Nothing's definite, but I think the Skins had a great draft.

As Redskins fans, we have to be happy with the way this draft turned out given that the big WR trades fell through. I think the FO has to be thinking the same thing in retrospect.

But for everyone who is going to say I told you so, that's not worth very much. The only reasons the failure of the trades worked out were because:

1.) There was such a remarkable run on offensive tackles in the first round that Atlanta felt it had to trade back into the 1st round to get like the 8th best tackle in the class. No one could have forseen this happening, and is I feel, the most remarkable story of the draft. (this is the true ripple effect of the Giants' superbowl win - teams were put on notice that they could no longer get by with merely adequate tackles, and they felt that this year's was an abnormally deep tackle class so they felt increased pressure to take advantage of it).

2.) Wide receivers were completely ignored/undervalued for a multitude of reasons, and for some bizarre reason, the top ten receivers from this class were still available for us picking 34th. This is also something that absolutely no one could have forseen. (there was also another run on runningbacks in this draft--guys like chris johnson snuck into the first round). Also, I can't believe Donnie Avery was the first receiver picked, dear god, I would have cried if the Redskins had done something like that. (My only concern is that I don't know if I like Kelly more than Sweed. It's really comes down to personal preference, but I felt like Sweed was faster and more mature).

Basically, the team got fantastically lucky in the way this draft played out. This is a case where the BPA strategy worked wonders. The Redskins realized that things were falling in just such a way that the team could improve the offense ridiculously. I can't imagine how things would have worked out much better without us having been able to pull of drastically lopsided trades.

For everyone crying about this draft because it lacked linemen--stop crying. That's not how the draft played out for the team, and pigeonholing ourselves into picking linemen would have made for a mediocre draft. This draft was an offensive coup. Who knows, maybe next year will be the year of the linemen.

the willingness of the Redskins to give up multiple picks for a 30 year old receiver when the team is clearly not a Super Bowl contender for 2008 is at some level troubling.

it means that Snyder is still to some degree harboring the illusions about making the 'quick fix'.

but circumstances here worked out so that the trade(s) didn't come off and for that I am grateful.

you look at the Capitals rebound to 37-17-7 under Bruce Boudreau with all those high draft choices and farm system prospects and you want to see that kind of rebound with the Redskins over a couple of years.

Archived