Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone Else Pleased The Trades for Johnson, Boldin, Williams Fell Through?

bulldog

If we had traded for Chad Johnson, we probably wouldn't have picked anymore receivers in in the draft - this point could be argued, seeing that we choose a pass catching TE with our 2nd pick and this was definitely a high need position, but assuming this was true, who would we have picked instead?

I can't really figure who it would have been, but I know this much, we would not have gotten the 1st and 2nd rated players at another position of need like we did at WR...

There just weren't many other players that I was rooting for with our 2nd rounders - I guess we could have taken Flowers, Campbell, and Groves.....Would this have made you happy?

Absolutely.

Considering in our trade it would've been this year's first and next year's conditional third, and we got the highest rated WR and highest rated TE for this year's first and third, I think we're much better off. We're especially better off than if we had gotten Chad Johnson, dude is old, and complains.

I would much rather have had a proven performer like Johnson or Boldin.

It is highly unlikely that either Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly will ever hold a candle to Johnson or Boldin. Every year, there are 10 or so WRs taken in the first and second rounds. More than 90% turn out to be third-string WRs at best. There are only a handful of "elite" WRs in the NFL despite the fact that several dozen are drafted each and every year.

You can't blame the Redskins for the draft. Outside of the top 10 picks, there is no guarantee that you get a stud on the OL or DL. With the early run on OL and DL, it is quite possible that a number of those players taken in the second round will never make it past the practice squad.

Yes, our own version of Ocho Cinco will be much less expensive and we also picked up a second wide. I doubt both their contracts are more (or even close) than what we would have to have paid to Cincy's 85.
All three first day picks added together and multiplied X2 won't be as much as Nacho would have demanded.

All three first day picks added together and multiplied X2 won't be as much as Nacho would have demanded.
In all probability, all of our picks together will not match performance of one Chad Johnson. Most second-round WR draft picks do less in their careers than Johnson does in one year.

In all probability, all of our picks together will not match performance of one Chad Johnson. Most second-round WR draft picks do less in their careers than Johnson does in one year.

Especially this upcoming year, correct? Especially if he doesn't play at all, right?

the Redskins by keeping the picks just saved themselves a boatload of money and now have depth at WR and TE in case there are injuries. If Zorn and his staff are the teachers they are reputed to be these players can grow with Campbell and be there when Jason is ready to lead a team deep into the playoffs.

Completely agree. I really don't know what to think of the WR's other than to note that a lot of people seem to think highly of them, but I like the idea that we're finally going to "grow our own" rather than shop at the FA supermarket for players.

I also think that, however curious people found the Davis pick, his inclusion in the lineup in 2 TE packages will create a lot of headaches for defenses. Zorn has what he needs to install and develop his offense, and he has a LOT of different options for packages. It's going to be fun to watch.

Archived