Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinny on the draft.

Art

Wouldn't say it's the scouting Dept... Vinny's been saying for weeks that the quality WRs in the draft were in the low first and second round.

Plus Snyder was lobbying hard for a WR, so of course those players got swept to the top of our boards.

I, for one, am really impressed with Vinny and our War room, being able to get the players they wanted at the original pick (Thomas and Davis... then later with JT) while being able to get more picks via trading down.

Well in my opinion im happy we got 3 great targets. Yesterday at a draft party i was at we were all joking on eachother about what team would waste their first round pick on 'THE' one year wonder Devin Thomas and im so glad we didnt pick him at 21. Although I'm not very big on Thomas im glad we AT LEAST traded down and acquired more picks in the process. Getting Malcolm Kelly and Fred Davis has made me very happy though.

just my 2 cents..

As long as Vinny stops referring to them as 1st round talent, we'll be ok.

Last think we need is an agent trying to weasel alittle more loot because your team keeps referring to a 2nd round pick as a 1st round talent.

Happy enough with the WR's, even if only one of them hits.

The TE is fine, would have rather had a lineman.

There are two very distinct parts of the draft.

1. Scouting - this is the most important part. You have to make sure the players you get will fit what you do.

2. Drafting - Knowing when to take who and what you want. Also included in this is trading. This is the biggest grey area since you never really know how the other teams feel about the players you like. Is the player you like going to be available later? We could very well have picked Thomas at #21 and Kelly at #51 and a lot of people will have said we did well. We ended up trading down and and getting Davis as well. On the other hand we will never know if somebody who went from 21-33 was who we really wanted.

I posted this in the main draft thread too, but both yesterday and today, Vinnie made himself available for interviews on redskins.com while the draft was on-going and other teams were picking. Am I missing something, or shouldn't he have been in the war room monitoring other teams and being available to discuss trades? Particularly yesterday when there were formal press conferences with Vinnie & Zorn after our 1st & 3rd picks?

As long as Vinny stops referring to them as 1st round talent, we'll be ok.

Last think we need is an agent trying to weasel alittle more loot because your team keeps referring to a 2nd round pick as a 1st round talent.

Agreed, especially since Thomas's agent is Drew "No Comment" Rosenhaus.

I posted this in the main draft thread too, but both yesterday and today, Vinnie made himself available for interviews on redskins.com while the draft was on-going and other teams were picking. Am I missing something, or shouldn't he have been in the war room monitoring other teams and being available to discuss trades? Particularly yesterday when there were formal press conferences with Vinnie & Zorn after our 1st & 3rd picks?

Scott Campbell runs the draft.

Jason

Wouldn't say it's the scouting Dept... Vinny's been saying for weeks that the quality WRs in the draft were in the low first and second round.

Plus Snyder was lobbying hard for a WR, so of course those players got swept to the top of our boards.

I, for one, am really impressed with Vinny and our War room, being able to get the players they wanted at the original pick (Thomas and Davis... then later with JT) while being able to get more picks via trading down.

Agree...definately a different draft this year

I like what we've done in the draft. I would have preferred coming away with Thomas, Campbell and Kelly on day one, but ultimately we did ok.

The DE we picked doesn't really seem to fit the mold of player that Blache prefers at the position, and with Wilson already somewhat of a project I don't see what he brings to the table but oh well.

Wow. One whole guard :puke:

Hope he can fill two holes simultaneously

One whole guard is really all we needed for next season. Samuels, Rabach and Thomas are going to be starting for a while, and we got Heyer behind Jansen if we need him. That leave Kendall, who might not be back after next season, so we got a guy we can coach up and eventually replace him.

Jason

Jansen and Thomas are back from IR and Kendall still has a year on his contract.

Wasn't that said before the season last year?

As for Kendall, he was having knee issues at the end of last season, missing practice and parts of games.

But we're the Redskins. Pinning our line hopes on a wing and a prayer......

Archived