Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bengals.com: Cincy Denies Any Trade Offer From Skins

elkabong82

No offers does mean no offers. But that is not what marvin said. If it is that easy to say, why didnt he?

Uh, he did. "The Bengals haven't received any phone calls" was the answer Lewis gave. Sounds like "no trade offers" to me. Just cuz Lewis didn't say it the exact way you want him to doesn't mean that wasn't what he meant. Wishing this to be true, and it actually being true are two very different things. So far both the Bengals and the Skins have denied any trade talks, I'll take their word over ESPN at this point.

No, but I know your first name. You throw that out there on every post, just not your actual position on things. It's easier for you to multi-quote other's I guess. ;)

I've made my position quite clear. I wouldn't give up any more than a 3rd rounder for a player that may only have 4-5 years left. Combine that with the large percentage of cap that is tied up in WRs, and it wouldn't make that much sense, particularly since there are greater needs.

I'm starting to get more convinced that Rosenhaus is driving these rumors. Not saying that it isn't true, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's the one leaking this stuff.

Jason

I've made my position quite clear. I wouldn't give up any more than a 3rd rounder for a player that may only have 4-5 years left. Combine that with the large percentage of cap that is tied up in WRs, and it wouldn't make that much sense, particularly since there are greater needs.

I'm starting to get more convinced that Rosenhaus is driving these rumors. Not saying that it isn't true, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's the one leaking this stuff.

Jason

Do you notice that everytime Rosenhaus has a client seeking a new contract, the Redskins are the team that drives up the price?

Either Rosenhaus is using the Skins....or maybe they are working together. We are already practically the Washington Drews considering the number of his clients that we have on the roster.

I don't get why everyone is so up in arms. I was thinking the skins would trade a first and a third this years draft well before this story broke and I think that would be quite fair. Our first is quite low and lets face it, not one of the wrs in the draft are chad johnson talent-wise. Then a story comes out that it would be a 1st and next years third, which is lower trade value than this years third, so I don't get the big deal. Sure it could turn into a first, but we don't know the requirements for that to happen and if it works out really well then it still might be worth it as that would be two low firsts.

The only part I'm unhappy about is the money/new contract. He's under contract for four more years, how about letting him play a year and if he does great then talk about a contract extension?

pats get moss for a 4th and we try to get stinky for a first and third.

wonderful.:doh:

Completely different situation. Moss was two years removed from a good season. Chad has consitently been top 5-10 wr for the last x years. Everyone knows now that the Moss trade was a steal, but it was quite risky for them prior. Not to mention they only got Moss to a 1 year deal (mainly because nobody knew if he was the player he used to be, plus he always took plays off etc), Chad has 4 years left on his contract.

Uh, he did. "The Bengals haven't received any phone calls" was the answer Lewis gave. Sounds like "no trade offers" to me. Just cuz Lewis didn't say it the exact way you want him to doesn't mean that wasn't what he meant. Wishing this to be true, and it actually being true are two very different things. So far both the Bengals and the Skins have denied any trade talks, I'll take their word over ESPN at this point.

I thought the skins said "no comment"

Did Mort ever say that his sources told him Fassel would be the next head coach of the Skins and that hiring Zorn was his way of assembling his coaching staff before it was officially announced? And that the "fan uproar" may have played a role in the delay? I seem to recall several official reports from professional sports journalists saying that "league sources" told them the above was true...and I was thinking Mort was one of them.

Did Mort ever say that his sources told him Fassel would be the next head coach of the Skins and that hiring Zorn was his way of assembling his coaching staff before it was officially announced? And that the "fan uproar" may have played a role in the delay? I seem to recall several official reports from professional sports journalists saying that "league sources" told them the above was true...and I was thinking Mort was one of them.

It is true that Mort has been a little off his rocker recently, though i would use the Eli manning situation as the prime example.

Lewis admitted it:

"Once I actually read what was reported, I have to be truthful and say that the story is accurate," Lewis told ESPN. "Unfortunately, I didn't read it until after our press conference."

The Redskins offered its first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said.

It was not the first time the Redskins approached the Bengals about a deal, but it was the first significant proposal.

Lewis says the disgruntled receiver should keep his word and sit out the season. "I've stated our case with Chad," Lewis said. "He has a contract through 2011. He's stated without an opportunity to go to a different team and a new contract, he wasn't going to play. I think he's a man of his word and says he's not going to play, so don't play."

Hmm elk. Looks like the skins did make the offer and as i said before, lewis didnt mention the skins, and the article didnt read right.

So we now know that both teams DID NOT deny it.

A 1st and a 3rd seems awfully high for a player whose trade value should be diminishing with all of his off season antics. And the possibility that the 3rd could turn into another 1st based on incentives...that's a high price to pay....IF true.

If given the choice, I'd rather have R. Williams for two 2nds then #85 for either two 1sts or a 1st and a third.

I'd rather just draft, though.

Well we made the offer they rejected it. It'll be interesting to see if they are waiting till Saturday and for a specific player to be available.

Either way I think you can look at the deal as good or bad depending on your outlook as a skins fan. Me I'm pessimistic and doling out 20mil guaranteed to a 30 year old wideout who has been playing with a top 5 qb for the last few years doesn't seem like a great idea.

It is true that Mort has been a little off his rocker recently, though i would use the Eli manning situation as the prime example.

Found these quotes doing a quick search...#1 and #3 are fans reporting what Mort said, and #2 is PFT reporting what Mort said:

"Mortensen is reporting on ESPN that Spagnuolo is the favorite but Fassel is in Snyders back pocket if it doesn't work out. My bet is Fassel on Monday."

" Through it all, Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Jim Fassel is still the favorite for the gig, and we agree. In our view, the entire exercise of interviewing other candidates is aimed at allowing Snyder and Cerrato to claim that the organization performed its due diligence before deciding that the otherwise disregarded Fassel is the right man for the job."

"Chris Mortensen now can cite two media sources that Fassel has been hired."

Right now, jumping to any conclusions would be insanely foolish...just because Mort says it's true doesn't mean it's true. I was hoping the members of this site would have learned a thing or three over the years regarding "inside info" from "league sources" being reported by the media. And just because Lewis said the Bengals have "received no phone calls" doesn't necessarily mean they weren't approached by the Skins with a "floater" offer...a trial balloon of an offer to see if it floats or not, just to get an idea of what it would take to get the Bengals to say "yes". It's not an official offer, just a "what do you think" scenario.

If it's not true, too many on this site will have blown too many gaskets over jack ****. Stop and think about that for a minute. You could die in an hour for all you know, and the last thing you were doing in your life was blowing a fuse over something that didn't even happen. Calm the **** down, people. Besides, if it IS true, you'll have plenty of time to *****, whine and moan about it...so might as well wait and see if there's anything worth concerning yourself over. And if it's not true, just add it to the growing file of reasons NOT to jump at every league-sourced "fact" that gets uttered by the media.

*Edit: yet another update occurred while writing this post lol :laugh:...

Found these quotes doing a quick search...#1 and #3 are fans reporting what Mort said, and #2 is PFT reporting what Mort said:

"Mortensen is reporting on ESPN that Spagnuolo is the favorite but Fassel is in Snyders back pocket if it doesn't work out. My bet is Fassel on Monday."

" Through it all, Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Jim Fassel is still the favorite for the gig, and we agree. In our view, the entire exercise of interviewing other candidates is aimed at allowing Snyder and Cerrato to claim that the organization performed its due diligence before deciding that the otherwise disregarded Fassel is the right man for the job."

"Chris Mortensen now can cite two media sources that Fassel has been hired."

Right now, jumping to any conclusions would be insanely foolish...just because Mort says it's true doesn't mean it's true. I was hoping the members of this site would have learned a thing or three over the years regarding "inside info" from "league sources" being reported by the media. And just because Lewis said the Bengals have "received no phone calls" doesn't necessarily mean they weren't approached by the Skins with a "floater" offer...a trial balloon of an offer to see if it floats or not, just to get an idea of what it would take to get the Bengals to say "yes". It's not an official offer, just a "what do you think" scenario.

If it's not true, too many on this site will have blown too many gaskets over jack ****. Stop and think about that for a minute. You could die in an hour for all you know, and the last thing you were doing in your life was blowing a fuse over something that didn't even happen. Calm the **** down, people. Besides, if it IS true, you'll have plenty of time to *****, whine and moan about it...so might as well wait and see if there's anything worth concerning yourself over. And if it's not true, just add it to the growing file of reasons NOT to jump at every league-sourced "fact" that gets uttered by the media.

*Edit: yet another update occurred while writing this post lol :laugh:...

I was about to give you a ":doh:" but your edit caught your mistake. It appears it was not "jack ****"

:cheers:

I was about to give you a ":doh:" but your edit caught your mistake. It appears it was not "jack ****"

:cheers:

I still wouldn't have deserved a :doh:, though...all is said was wait until something is confirmed before going off the deep end, and that media reports from "league sources" have been proven wrong numerous times, so why act like they're undeniable truths carved in stone.

Archived