Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cincy turns down two 1st rounders for Ocho Cinco (all things #85 trade - merged 4x)

ZRagone

Just heard on The Herd now that, per Mortensen, that apparently the Skin's have offered this years 1st rounder and next years 1st rounder for Chad Johnson, which the Bengel's have turned down.

Apparently two other NFC east teams also were offering possible trade scenarios.

I have a feeling on Draft Day, it may become a lot more tempting for Cincy, but if this is true they really are pretty certain on wanting to keep Johnson.

I don't know if anyone has heard it, but I am listening to Colin Cowherd and hes sayin Chris Mortenson is reporting that the Bengals have turned a trade down from the Redskins in which we offered our first rounder this year and our first rounder next year for Chad Johnson.

Anyone else hear about this??

I want Johnson as much as the next guy, but not for 2 first rounders. What are we thinking?

It does say "The Redskins offered this year's first round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said."

So technically its not two first rounders but yeah I'm no fan of this.

No essenitally it was ONLY next years first if he hit certain incentives....which he certainly could do. I agree, thats a bit much, but I have no issue with making a deal for Chad after this years draft and June 1st where I honestly believe the Bengals will entertain trade talks once Chad's cap hit will go down.

honestly, I have no problem giving up this year's first rounder, with the limited talent available at the #21 spot ... but next year's 1st rounder would have really pissed me off, especially if things don't go well for us this year and we end up in the top 10 next year.

it wasn't really two first round picks....its was this years first and next years third round. however, like the article states on espn.com, if 85 meets certain performance goals during the 08 season the pick could escalte to a number one.

EDIT: looks like a couple of us pounced on this issue

Boo. Much as I think building through the draft the best policy, I would have made that trade in a heartbeat. Getting one of the five best receivers in the game for a 21st pick and a future third would have been an excellent trade. And fair I think, given that Cincinnati is about to have no leverage. I'd even be ok with the Redskins upgrading next year's 3rd to a 2nd.

At some point though, Cincinnati has to stop being stupid. They need to take what they can get to salvage the situation because Chad Johnson is just going to hold out anyway. He is pissing his teammates and coaching staff off and I can't see how they can ever have a productive working relationship again. Houshmanzaddah even said that Johnson has to go now. Cut the cord Cincinnati and cut your losses!

The ESPN article even threw in how dead money cap hit is no big deal. They can spread the 8 mil over two years and the cap is so high now that a lot of teams can afford to have dead money like that. Hell, the Redskins surely do.

Archived