Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do Redskins fans root for teams in other cities?

hokie4redskins

Yeah, that view is awesome. I'm gonna try to catch a game there at some point over the summer when its nice. Not being a Bucs fan myself, it should be less painful, assuming they don't go 16 some odd innings.

Gimme a shout sometime. I think TLC and I are going to try to do a home-and-home; him taking me to Nats Park, me taking him to PNC. Maybe we could meet you up there.

:cheers:

That would be cool, I can try to console you as the game goes on!

Nah. A half-dozen Iron City's or IC Lights should take care of that. :)

(I know, not the best beer in the world, but the only place I drink it is at the stadium. Kinda like stadium hot dogs aren't really that great, but they are, because you only get them at the stadium.)

I have always been loyal to DC teams. Obviously a Skins fan, I'm an O's fan, Caps fan ( and yes I have been rooting for them since the days of Bondra), Wizards Fan, and a United fan. College I am a Tennessee fan due to my family being from right outside of KNoxville in Seveirville. I lived in Cary,NC for a while and follow UNC B-Ball but I am loyal to UT.

Nah. A half-dozen Iron City's or IC Lights should take care of that. :)

(I know, not the best beer in the world, but the only place I drink it is at the stadium. Kinda like stadium hot dogs aren't really that great, but they are, because you only get them at the stadium.)

Hey, I drink Extra Gold. Why? Because its the cheapest thing they sell here and I'm an idiot.

I have always been loyal to DC teams. Obviously a Skins fan, I'm an O's fan, Caps fan ( and yes I have been rooting for them since the days of Bondra), Wizards Fan, and a United fan. College I am a Tennessee fan due to my family being from right outside of KNoxville in Seveirville. I lived in Cary,NC for a while and follow UNC B-Ball but I am loyal to UT.

Since the days of Bondra? :laugh:

We were around A LONG time before that guy - had some pretty good teams, too. Maruk, Gartner, Langway, Stevens, and Chris Valentine all take offense to your post. ;)

I'm noticing a lot of this on this site. Redskins fans rooting for the Flyers, Red Wings, Red Sox, Yankees, Cavaliers, and on and on and on. Why do people bleed burgundy and gold, yet ditch the District when it comes to baseball, hockey, and basketball? What happened to hometown loyalty?

And it goes both ways. Why do people in Texas root for the Redskins, Stars, and Mavericks? Why do people in Cali sport Redskins, Dodgers, and Laker banners?

Yeah, we know there will always be the bandwagon schmucks that pull for the Cowboys, Yankees, Red Wings and Lakers, but is "bandwagonism" the sole psychosis?

Frankly, there's no excuse. "Well, I grew up in Philly which is why I pull for the Flyers.......".

Ok, so why do you like the Redskins?

"Well, I'm from DC, but I liked the "Star" on the Cowboys helmet when I was four years-old."

Ok, but now you're an adult, and a traitor to your own city. And you claim to be a Washingtonian?

"Well, I'll pull for the Nats, but the Sox are my team! Go Skins!"

Screw that.

Allegiances to multiple cities is mind-boggling to me for some reason.

I could not agree with this more. A lot of fake ass Washingtonians. You don't see this in other cities. People in Philly, NYC, and Boston love all their teams. In a lot of ways we are like the Dallas with the Cowboys, and less of a sports city like the other big east coast cities.

The only reasons I can see someone liking a non-Washington team is (stolen from Sports Guy, though could not find the official list):

1) If you have lived over 1/2 your life in the area of the "other" sports team, then you can root for them.

2) If there was no team in the area when they were growing up (In DC, this only works for baseball).

That is about it.

yeah, but how were they doing when you actually picked them as your team. ;)

I knew this was coming.

Yanks- That was 1985. Contenders, but no championships.

Knicks- Around 1990. Good, but not great. Damn Jordan always in the way.

Skins- The first football game I watched was Super Bowl XIX. With my first real season being 1985. If I wanted to frontrun that season, I would be a Bears fan today.

Hockey- 1992, cause thats the year NHLPA 93 came out for Sega Genesis. At that point they hadn't won a cup since 1954.....

I could not agree with this more. A lot of fake ass Washingtonians. You don't see this in other cities. People in Philly, NYC, and Boston love all their teams. In a lot of was we are like the Dallas with the Cowboys, and less of a sports city.

The only reasons I can see someone liking a non-Washington team is (stolen from Sports Guy, though could not find the official list):

1) If you have lived over 1/2 your life in the area of the "other" sports team, then you can root for them.

2) If there was no team in the area when they were growing up (In DC, this only works for baseball).

That is about it.

Well--don't forget that Washington is for many a transient town where people live for a number of years then move "home" or elsewhere. Further, I know a lot of people that lived in the Metro-DC area for a long period of time and would still not call themselves "Washingtonians."

I'm noticing a lot of this on this site. Redskins fans rooting for the Flyers, Red Wings, Red Sox, Yankees, Cavaliers, and on and on and on. Why do people bleed burgundy and gold, yet ditch the District when it comes to baseball, hockey, and basketball? What happened to hometown loyalty?

And it goes both ways. Why do people in Texas root for the Redskins, Stars, and Mavericks? Why do people in Cali sport Redskins, Dodgers, and Laker banners?

Yeah, we know there will always be the bandwagon schmucks that pull for the Cowboys, Yankees, Red Wings and Lakers, but is "bandwagonism" the sole psychosis?

Frankly, there's no excuse. "Well, I grew up in Philly which is why I pull for the Flyers.......".

Ok, so why do you like the Redskins?

"Well, I'm from DC, but I liked the "Star" on the Cowboys helmet when I was four years-old."

Ok, but now you're an adult, and a traitor to your own city. And you claim to be a Washingtonian?

"Well, I'll pull for the Nats, but the Sox are my team! Go Skins!"

Screw that.

Allegiances to multiple cities is mind-boggling to me for some reason.

To be fair the reason there are a lot of cowboy fans in DC was due to the racial issues from the Redskins and their owner back in the 60's and 70's.

I have lived in DC my entire life and root for all DC sports, but we didn't have baseball and never took the O's as my team since the rest of my family lives in Boston and the Cape. Which is why I am a huge Red Sox fan. With Nats here though I am very excited and rooting for them since they are in NL it doesn't impact the sox.

Hey, I drink Extra Gold. Why? Because its the cheapest thing they sell here and I'm an idiot.

Hey, the last thing I am is a beer snob, so it's all good. :cheers:

Since the days of Bondra? :laugh:

We were around A LONG time before that guy - had some pretty good teams, too. Maruk, Gartner, Langway, Stevens, and Chris Valentine all take offense to your post. ;)

Pete Peters and the Jason Vorhees mask FTW!!! :D

I can't remember who we were playing, but remember that shot he took off the forehead of his mask? Dude was KTFO, just fell straight back, out cold. If I'm not mistaken, I think he played the next game though.

BTW (moving forward a decade) how many Konos would a Konowalchuk chuk if a Konowalchuk could chuk Konos?

I used to love that team. Starks was one of my favorites.

I loved how they just pummeled people.

Trent Tucker baby. Sniper! :)

I took a liking to Ewing's backup on that team too. (Can't say I really know why. :laugh: ) But let's hear it for Eddie Lee Wilkins, the pride of Gardner-Webb.

:cheers:

I am from D.C. and on top of being a huge Redskins fan I'm also a Caps and Wizards fan (though not nearly as much cause football= the best).

Despite this, through my entire childhood up until 2005 the only baseball team in the region was Baltimore, and I became an Orioles fan. Just because D.C. got a baseball team in 2005 after I've been to probably 100 Orioles games doesn't mean I'm going to stop supporting the team I grew up watching. City loyalty came first for me, but when my city didn't have a team in a sport I enjoyed, I went with the next best thing. I'm not switching back after all these years.

Well--don't forget that Washington is for many a transient town where people live for a number of years then move "home" or elsewhere. Further, I know a lot of people that lived in the Metro-DC area for a long period of time and would still not call themselves "Washingtonians."

Yea - as a person who grew up in the VA area and has lived in the city now for 6 years it is a lot different. DC has always been my city - but there are so many who don't feel that way who live there. Most people I know are from Boston, NYC, Philly, California, etc. I think I have 3-4 friends who are from the DC, VA, Maryland area and THATS IT. Crazy when you think about it.

I think in the next little while I am going to be moving to Austin, TX. That is going to be really weird. Then I will be the freak who likes all the non-Texas teams The only thing in TX I plan to adopt is UT Austin for college football and bball.

I used to love that team. Starks was one of my favorites.

I loved how they just pummeled people.

Their brawls with the Heat were awesome. Van Gundy holding that leg will always be hysterical to me.

Chris Childs lighting up Kobe with 2 quick ones to the jaw and Kobe jumping behind Shaq to hide. :laugh:

Yeah, you cant change teams after you are about 16, except in a very few circumstances. I did make the change from Oreo's fan to Nats fan, but i understand why a lot of DC-natives did not.

So according to you if you grew up cheering a certain NCAA football team yet ended up going to a different college it is against your rule to change :laugh: :laugh:

I am from D.C. and on top of being a huge Redskins fan I'm also a Caps and Wizards fan (though not nearly as much cause football= the best).

Despite this, through my entire childhood up until 2005 the only baseball team in the region was Baltimore, and I became an Orioles fan. Just because D.C. got a baseball team in 2005 after I've been to probably 100 Orioles games doesn't mean I'm going to stop supporting the team I grew up watching. City loyalty came first for me, but when my city didn't have a team in a sport I enjoyed, I went with the next best thing. I'm not switching back after all these years.

That is 100% acceptable. I never liked baseball. Never been a big fan. When the Nats came I started watching it and getting into it. Sticking with the Os makes a lot of sense for people who grew up watching them.

Yea - as a person who grew up in the VA area and has lived in the city now for 6 years it is a lot different. DC has always been my city - but there are so many who don't feel that way who live there. Most people I know are from Boston, NYC, Philly, California, etc. I think I have 3-4 friends who are from the DC, VA, Maryland area and THATS IT. Crazy when you think about it.

I think in the next little while I am going to be moving to Austin, TX. That is going to be really weird. Then I will be the freak who likes all the non-Texas teams The only thing in TX I plan to adopt is UT Austin for college football and bball.

He is 100% right, there are not a lot of us who were born and still live in DC. I would say this area has exploded since the late 90's, prior to that no one stepped foot in Clarendon :)

So according to you if you grew up cheering a certain NCAA football team yet ended up going to a different college it is against your rule to change :laugh: :laugh:

Do you understand what the words "except in very few circumstances" mean?

Thats funny coming from an OSU-slash-Notre Dame fan thats NEVER been to a game for either. :laugh:

Archived