Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Times: Skins' Snyder Says he's matured (MERGED)

bedlamVR

It was a very good read. I'm not one to believe everything I read but it does seem that Danny boy has finally learned a lesson or two.

I like it. I'm causiously optomistic and am looking forward to the 08 season. The team has the potential to go far but all I'm looking for is improvement and consistancey that I hope will lead to years of success even if the Skins do fall short of the ultimate goal this season.

I loved how he kind of called out the Cowboys.

Overall, I like what I read. He seems to have learned from some things, but I think his aggresive nature is still there. He is just learning when to time being aggresive, which is exactly what we needed. No need to rush, because it only leads to bad decisions.

I also liked the fact that the writer stuck to some difficult questions, instead of dumb boring ones.

I also liked the fact that the writer stuck to some difficult questions, instead of dumb boring ones.

Danny answers questions so seldom that you pretty much have to take the shot when you have the opportunity. If you'll notice, he did dodge a few of them or purposely not expound. Instead of getting mad at certain questions, he simply gave the answers he wanted to give. THAT'S where I see the maturity kicking in.

Took him almost a decade to mature !

A couple of things I don't buy: "awesome stadium" and "patience"

I just keep on thinking that he was forced to "mature" (not enough cap room to pursue Briggs, Samuels and Co, Cowher and others not interested).

A: We're real pleased with FedEx Field. And the fans like it. We've done a lot of surveys. We've done so many improvements. We've worked really hard on the experience. I talk to the other owners and they tell me, "Your stadium is awesome." You heard that so much you realize that it really is.

I'd like to know what owners and what surveys those were.

WTF?! The guy is delusional. The fans like it? Fans are constantly ****ing about the parking, food, prices and the 15 minute lines to piss. Wake up Dan!!! Improvements? Like obstructed seats? Commercials blasting during breaks? Way to go buddy! What an experience! Don't kid yourself or let "the other owners" fool you. FedEx is lacking in more ways than one. The "experience" for most is frustrating to put it mildly. :2cents:

Well... Snyder admits all these mistakes he made with the team, but had he only listened to the "common wisdom" of most fans at the time he wouldn't have made those mistakes at all. He could have run the team by polls alone and done better. He says the team was "messed up" when he took control of it, but Norv had just made the playoffs and if not for a crummy snap could have gone to the championship game. No, he messed the team up not the other way around. He substituted real football knowledge in Charley Casserley with his own knowledge. The fact that Marty Schottenheimer the ultimate football man couldn't get along with Snyder the ultimate non-football man shows clearly where the breakdown happened. Any Redskins fan who watched Deion Sanders taunt everyone at RFK in the playoffs would know instinctively... INSTINCTIVELY that he could never wear burgundy and gold. And he pushed Darrell Green to the sidelines before he was ready to go. This is a Redskins fan? I used to give the owner more of a pass because he seemed sincere in his desire to win, but he has a tin ear about football completely. He talks about business contracts, mean age of team, and statistics now which shows he has no feel for the game at all. He will never have a feel for the game because he isn't a football fan, he's a success fan and the Skins were successful. That's what attracts him, the glory. It isn't hard to find other examples of leaders who do not have a feel for the right thing to do. I used to be a George Bush supporter until he did the wrong thing and landed the USA in a worse situation than Vietnam. He has a tin ear and talked about weapons of mass destruction. If WMD's are such a big deal then why haven't we invaded Iran who is working on them and Pakistan who has them? These are the same type of platitudes we hear from Snyder. He has a very strange perspective on things. It's as if he didn't know fans and players were in love with Gregg Williams. He talks about sticking to his plan and keeping his promises of a long interview process with pictures on the wall etc. He HAS to do this because he doesn't have the higher neurological processes someone who has a FEEL for the game has. He may stumble into success one day...(blind pig finding a truffle) but overall a scientific approach to team building doesn't work better than someone who just has the right DNA. Indianapolis built their house from scratch and they are contenders year after year. No Snyder hasn't matured, he has gotten more scientific in his approach because his "hunches" like Steve Spurrier are laughably bad. Jim Zorn may work out, but given Snyder's other "hunches" it is likely to be a complete accident. So Cerrato and Snyder think he's the obvious choice do they? Therein lies the problem.

Well... Snyder admits all these mistakes he made with the team, but had he only listened to the "common wisdom" of most fans at the time he wouldn't have made those mistakes at all. He could have run the team by polls alone and done better.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...Yes, by all means, as owner DEFINITELY make your decisions based on fan polls lol...That's what pretty much every quality owner in the league has done over the decades. ;)

He says the team was "messed up" when he took control of it, but Norv had just made the playoffs and if not for a crummy snap could have gone to the championship game.

Actually, Norv didn't make the playoffs until after Snyder bought the team. When he bought the team, it had just come off a 6-10 record, I believe, Casserly and Norv didn't seem to like one another, their drafts had been absolutely abysmal for the most part, etc, etc...

No, he messed the team up not the other way around.

Actually the Skins have a better winning percentage under Snyder than they did in the years before Snyder and after Gibbs first retired. The Skins have also had more playoff births (3 compared to zero), division titles (1 compared to zero), and MUCH better draft results since Snyder took over.

I don't feel like deciphering the rest lol...

I'm trying to be positive about this interview but it seems to show a fairly immature person with a high opinion of himself. And for those who think I'm a hater I spent the previous 8 or 9 years defending him.

Points that bother me:

A: Jason has performed good. We need to him to perform great. He's young, professional, intelligent, eager to learn. He's got all the attributes of leadership. He's the type of guy that you're thrilled to have. He's got plenty of upside. We feel good with Jason as our quarterback. There are a lot of teams that would like to have Jason Campbell.

He really shouldn't comment on players like Jones or Huzienga do, but it's his prerogative since it's his team.

A: I wasn't patient enough in certain areas early on. I didn't understand the game the way I do now. I didn't understand the agents, the contractual relationship with the salary cap, the importance of the age of players. Now it's easy for me, second-nature for me.

In 10 years he's mastered something that some of the GM's in the league are still working on? Just comes off as very disingenuous, it's not possible that it's that easy for him or we wouldn't be making mistakes.

Inheriting a team is one thing. Inheriting a lot of problems is another. We had a lot of issues.

Compare the quote above about the 2000 season to the following quote about Six Flags.

The only one that's a laggard is Six Flags because it's a longer turnaround because it was so messed up when we got there (in 2006), and we didn't know how bad it was.

See any similarities?

We're in the midst of developing an indoor (practice) facility at Redskin Park. It will cost a lot of money. It will be in front of the building. It will be ready for next season.

:yikes:

Gibbs wouldn't be happy.

We just couldn't get out of Seattle. If that recovery by Anthony Mix had been a touchdown with the rule the way we'd like it to be, that game's probably over. I haven't brought it up this week because it looks like I'm a sore loser.

You can't blame losing on a rule that you don't like.

We're real pleased with FedEx Field. And the fans like it. We've done a lot of surveys. We've done so many improvements. We've worked really hard on the experience. I talk to the other owners and they tell me, "Your stadium is awesome." You heard that so much you realize that it really is.

:doh:

I mainly just find him to come off as arrogant, immature, and not willing to take much blame (I'm aware he takes some blame.). I am aware though, that most billionaires probably share some of these traits. Hopefully this doesn't have an affect on the on the field product or off the field football operations.

/rant

Inheriting a team is one thing. Inheriting a lot of problems is another. We had a lot of issues.

Compare the quote above about the 2000 season to the following quote about Six Flags.

The only one that's a laggard is Six Flags because it's a longer turnaround because it was so messed up when we got there (in 2006), and we didn't know how bad it was.

See any similarities?

1) The first quote wasn't about the 2000 season, it was about the 1999 season. The question asked about the 2000 season but Snyder lumped the 1999 season into his answer ("Sure that was one of the years...As an owner, you want a coach that you hire. Inheriting a team is one thing. Inheriting a lot of problems is another. We had a lot of issues.")

2) There's not nearly enough info to tell whether there are any similarities. The problems with Six Flags may be all financial, aspects of income, debts and such that were successfully "hidden" prior to its sale. That happens all the time in business. The problems with the Skins had more to do with personnel, coaches and existing relationships...much of which would be difficult to determine while in a three-way fight for ownership that is going on while offseason player and coaching moves are simultaneously occurring. You'd have far less of a chance of knowing exactly what you're inheriting until that ownership battle had ended.

We just couldn't get out of Seattle. If that recovery by Anthony Mix had been a touchdown with the rule the way we'd like it to be, that game's probably over. I haven't brought it up this week because it looks like I'm a sore loser.

You can't blame losing on a rule that you don't like.

He's not "blaming" anything on anything...he even acknowledges that mentioning it makes him look like a sore loser.

1) The first quote wasn't about the 2000 season, it was about the 1999 season. The question asked about the 2000 season but Snyder lumped the 1999 season into his answer ("Sure that was one of the years...As an owner, you want a coach that you hire. Inheriting a team is one thing. Inheriting a lot of problems is another. We had a lot of issues.")

2) There's not nearly enough info to tell whether there are any similarities. The problems with Six Flags may be all financial, aspects of income, debts and such that were successfully "hidden" prior to its sale. That happens all the time in business. The problems with the Skins had more to do with personnel, coaches and existing relationships...much of which would be difficult to determine while in a three-way fight for ownership that is going on while offseason player and coaching moves are simultaneously occurring. You'd have far less of a chance of knowing exactly what you're inheriting until that ownership battle had ended.

I was merely trying to point out that when asked about two down points in his career he points to the fact that both were messes before he arrived.

I own a business that was a major mess before I arrived and my customers don't care much to hear about it. Most billionaires and successful CEO's are extremely positive people, much like coaches. Snyder is in his own way, and I'm trying to become comfortable with it again. As I said, somewhere during this offseason I lost that comfort.

He's not "blaming" anything on anything...he even acknowledges that mentioning it makes him look like a sore loser.

You're right. He's not actually blaming anything, but he does look like a sore loser for mentioning it and he admits as much, but he admits it in regards to trying to get the rule changed at the owners meetings in the way I understand the quote.

The thought never crossed my mind of us winning that game if a single rule was not, what that rule was.

I'm optimistic but i'm not getting carried away.

One good off season doesn't turn the guy into a genius. And we haven't picked anyone in the draft yet.

I actually prefer last off-season to this one so far. Fletcher, Smoot and Landry? I'll be thrilled if we acquire three players out of the 9 picks we have who make as much impact. Of course it's unrealistic to expect such an impact from rookies straight away - that's why i'm reserving judgement for a couple of years.

By off-season 2010 we'll have a better idea of what to expect from Zorn too.

Snyder hasn't matured. If he really wanted Zorn as the head coach, then why wait until Spaggs decides to stay with the Giants? Spaggs didn't want to come into an underming situation and he was smart to stay with the G-men. If Zorn was really going to be the head coach, Snyder should have hired him before making him an offensive coordinator. Making Zorn the head coach was the only thing he could do, because no head coach was going to come to the Redskins without having assistants of their own choosing.

Considering that someone could be President of the US at the age of 35, perhaps we should be grateful that Snyder decided not to go into politics. I can see the interview now: "There was a lot I didn't understand about being President.....for example, that nuclear weapons could kill a lot of people......."

Archived