Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Haaretz/AP: Vatican: Islam surpasses Roman Catholicism as world's largest religion

heyholetsgogrant

Last update - 21:55 30/03/2008

Vatican: Islam surpasses Roman Catholicism as world's largest religion

By The Associated Press

Tags: Vatican, Islam, religions

Islam has surpassed Roman Catholicism as the world's largest religion, the Vatican newspaper said Sunday.

"For the first time in history, we are no longer at the top: Muslims have

overtaken us," Monsignor Vittorio Formenti said in an interview with the

V

Advertisement

atican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano. Formenti compiles the Vatican's yearbook.

He said that Catholics accounted for 17.4 percent of the world population - a stable percentage - while Muslims were at 19.2 percent.

Source: AP

Author: The Associated Press

Full Article Click Here:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/969932.html

Lets see they're combining the Shia, Sunni and probably the Nation of Islam for the Islamic religion to show the Catholic church has been passed up. Of course Sunni and Shia are as different as Protestant and Catholic, and the Nation is the equivalent of the Mormons. So this story is a bit misleading (ie apples vs oranges).

Well, at least they're finally acknowledging that they're not Christians by including themselves in a seperate category... :silly:

Yes, I'm kidding. Please don't send the albino monks...

I was going to post that the Vatican doesn't consider the splinter group Protestants real Christians, and that's why they didn't include them. :silly:

Lets see they're combining the Shia, Sunni and probably the Nation of Islam for the Islamic religion to show the Catholic church has been passed up. Of course Sunni and Shia are as different as Protestant and Catholic, and the Nation is the equivalent of the Mormons. So this story is a bit misleading (ie apples vs oranges).

Actually there is no doctrinal difference between Shia and Sunni of Islam. The only difference comes from who was to carry on as leader after Mohomed died. His son inlaw, or his chief advisor.

Also Shia Moslems are a very small percentage of the population of all Moslems. Around 7-10%.

Lastly, Hate to break it to Rome, but Moslems have been a larger population than the Catholic church for quite some time. The old men in Rome are just getting around to recognizing it now.

Interesting enough if you add all the folks who call themselves Christians, Christians are still #1.

Sarge and I actually had this debate a year or two ago. Sarge pointed out to me that Christians are still #1 at the time.

Name a time in history when any Catholic (or Christian) leader didn't bend the truth to meet their needs...my first bit of evidence is the New Testament ;)

*pokes a stick at the hornets nest laughs and leaves to go back to work

The obvious reasons are that Catholics are having fewer kids, while in Islam, where in some areas they don't see anything wrong with marrying and impregnating girls barely out of their teens, you see families with atleast 4 children.

And Asian countries that were influenced by Catholicism (phillipines for example) have the Islamic faith equaling or being the predominant religion.

The obvious reasons are that Catholics are having fewer kids, while in Islam, where in some areas they don't see anything wrong with marrying and impregnating girls barely out of their teens, you see families with atleast 4 children.

I think your argument has a few holes in it...I think you are speculating

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that make them pedophiles as Dean suggested? Pedophilism doesn't take gay or not into consideration.

That is the PC thing to say. However comma when these monsters 10 out of 10 times target and rape lil boys or young males they are gay cradle robbers.

Yeah there are heterosexual cradle robbers also and lesbian ones as well but these guys are in position of trust and authority and the pedo label is sometimes an attempt to separate them from the overall demographic.

The Washington Post two years ago did a story about Catholic university and the priesthood about how the dirty little secret was that there was a large percentage of those entering the priesthood that were gay and the Post implied that the Vatican knew.

Name a time in history when any Catholic (or Christian) leader didn't bend the truth to meet their needs...my first bit of evidence is the New Testament ;)

You're totally correct, Xamiel. Historically accurate as it always is, the New Testament does indeed record the lies of early Christian leaders, such as when Peter denied Christ. Glad to see you're on board with the historical reliability of the New Testament. :D

That is the PC thing to say. However comma when these monsters 10 out of 10 times target and rape lil boys or young males they are gay cradle robbers.

Yeah there are heterosexual cradle robbers also and lesbian ones as well but these guys are in position of trust and authority and the pedo label is sometimes an attempt to separate them from the overall demographic.

The Washington Post two years ago did a story about Catholic university and the priesthood about how the dirty little secret was that there was a large percentage of those entering the priesthood that were gay and the Post implied that the Vatican knew.

I imagine that some Roman Catholics who are struggling with homosexual feelings do enter the priesthood. They probably believe that following the vow of celibacy will keep them from sin.

You're totally correct, Xamiel. Historically accurate as it always is, the New Testament does indeed record the lies of early Christian leaders, such as when Peter denied Christ. Glad to see you're on board with the historical reliability of the New Testament. :D

:laugh: goes to show how much you ever read what I write :doh:

I never support the New Testament...just a bunch of good manipulated stories to fit the agenda of the Vatican ;).

It just so happens a unch of other sects of Christiandom decided that the most corrupt business in the world was right....you are all still puppets to the Vatican no matter how many protests were nailed to the door ;).

So basically you're saying that being gay is worse than being a pedophile. That is extremely disturbing.

Actually Catholism is decreasing in the industrialized world, while it is growing fastly in the developing world. It's not true that Catholic today had fewer kids than in the 1970's or 1980's.

On the other hand since Islam in many places is a poligamist religion, I guess you can make the case it is pre disposed to be more prolific.

Archived