Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Evaluating Anthony Mix (With Fabini Update)

BillyKilmer

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Jason Reid reports:

While commenting on the Redskins' receiving corps this offseason, Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, often mentions his excitement about the potential of wide receiver Anthony Mix. "I like him," Cerrato said. "We're going to give him a chance to show us what he can do."

Mix, a college teammate of quarterback Jason Campbell at Auburn who was signed from the New York Giants' practice squad on Nov. 20, performed well while playing on special teams in six games last season. Now, the Redskins are eager to learn more about Mix's receiving skills. At 6 feet 5 and 235 pounds, Mix could fill the Redskins' need for a big wide receiver, and he welcomes the opportunity to try.

"It makes me feel great that they've identified me as being someone who has the talent, so that they want to give me a chance," Mix said after workouts today at Redskins Park. "All anybody can ask for is an opportunity, that's what this is all about, and my window of opportunity is here. I'm going to work hard this offseason to take advantage of it."

Mix, 25, went undrafted in 2006 and signed with the Giants as a free agent. He is raw (Mix has only three receptions for 39 yards in nine NFL games), but with the team switching to a West Coast offense for next season, the Redskins believe Campbell could benefit from having a big target.

The Redskins pursued former free agent wide receiver D.J. Hackett (they offered Hackett a minimum contract), who signed with the Carolina Panthers. Although the team is expected to draft at least one wide receiver, Mix has the inside track at joining starting wide receivers Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El as a key member of the Redskins' new-look offense.

"They didn't sign any big names in free agency, and that makes me feel kind of good," Mix said. "That's showing confidence in me. That's showing that they see something in me.

"I think they're looking to see big things out of me, which is good for me. I'm not nervous at all about it. I'm excited about it. A lot of people wait for that big break; this might be my big break."

Campbell acknowledged he encouraged Redskins officials to consider signing Mix because "I thought he was someone who could help the team." Mix appreciates his friend's support and looks forward to reconnecting with Campbell on the field when minicamp begins May 2.

"I played with Jason for three years at Auburn, I know how he works, so it should" help him, Mix said. "I have to get used to his ball again because I haven't played with him in awhile. It's not like you just jump back out there and the timing is down like it used to be, you have to work at it, but we'll see what we can do once we get started again. I'm ready."

This just furthers my belief we won't go WR in the 1st unless it is somehow BPA.

A later round (3rd?) WR and Mix can compete for the Split End WR spot, and the other would, IMO, play behind the winner, AND be used as the other slot besides ARE, as the WCO can use a speedy guy in the slot, or a big guy. This would favor a big guy in the slot in the redzone at times also. JMO.

Sometimes all it takes for someone to succeed is someone to believe in them. No one here is saying he will be a pro bowl receiver but when you have a 6'5 235lb receiver on your roster for the league minimum, then why not see if your staff can push the right buttons? Zorn and Cerrato are doing the right thing. All of this talk about a big WR and its possible we could have a good one already on the roster. Low risk, high reward. If he moves the chains and catches a few TD's in the redzone, I'll call it a success.

It's a terrific opportunity young player to prove himself with very little downside risk to the team. If Mix ends up being a solid contributor (not necessarily a star) this would add the the group of young talent finds over the past few years (Heyer, Blades, Doughty) for the front office. The front office takes a lot of heat from many people on this board but they have done a good job finding young, cheap talent.

When the Skins signed him from the Giants practice squad, the Giants tried to activate him to the roster and offer him a contract because they said he has all the tools to be another Plaxico, without the experience. They wanted to let him hang on to the practice squad and refine his skills in practice. That speaks volumes about his upside.

but when you have a 6'5 235lb receiver on your roster for the league minimum, then why not see if your staff can push the right buttons?

Of course the guy deserves an opportunity. Of course he should have a chance to show his skills an earn a spot. No one would deny that.

What IS problematic is if you pass on a good WR in the draft based on the completely speculative LONGSHOT that this guy actually turns out to be good. There is NO REASON whatsover to think that Mix will be a solid starting WR. None. No evidence suggests he will be. Height alone is not a reason. All there is is a naked HOPE he is good.

It would be criminal idiocy to make talent evaluations based on some baseless hope that Mix turns out. We should make our decisions based on our current need. If Mix turns out to be solid as well, all the better. But you CANNOT ignore the glaring need for a WR based on some wet dream that this nobody is actually a Burress who somehow went un-noticed by 32 teams including the one who used to own him.

This is a welcomed change to seeing what your inhouse talent can do along with the draft. While I liked the idea of Hackett, I like the idea of having Mix and a draft prospect compete for a job much better. Good for Vinny Snyderrato for taking this approach.

If Mix manages to prove himself before the draft, I say we still go after a WR in the Mid-rounds. We could go after someone a bit smaller though that excels in YAC. Guys like Keenan Burton, Will Franklin or Taj Smith.(look'em up)

Campbell won't know what to do with a tall receiver. Hope Mix works hard and earns a spot.

Maybe it'll make it harder for JC to overthrow the ball on the short routes:D

JK...JC will be a great QB, but he did have accuracy issues last year. Hopefully he outgrew that.

Archived