Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Betts and 1st pick for Boldin

dyounker44

I would love to see this trade go down. Betts is a valuable asset to our offense but it is much easier to find a backup runningback than a #1 reciever. That being said I really doubt Zona would go for this. What do they have at reciever behind Boldin? They already let Johnson walk so after dealing Boldin they would need a #2 and #3 reciever. Our first pick could go towards getting one, and Betts while capable isn't any kind of world beater. I don't see how the trade benefits Arizona other than not having to pay the man his money.

I'd love to see it, but unfortunately it makes much more sense in Madden than in reality.

He would want a extended contract upon getting here. We never will develop from within and people wonder why we go no where. We overpaid for Randel El and its showing. I rather us sign Kelly and Sweed and be done with it

Kelly and Sweed? Damn. I didn't know either one of them would fall to the 2nd round for us to draft.

Seriously though, I think Randel El was worth it. He actually looked okay as a #2, and I feel that he will be an excellent contributor as a #3 if we draft Limas Sweed.

Boldin is not Faster than Fitzy

Boldin ran a 4.70 and a 4.72 at the combine (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCL/is_7_33/ai_113755043)

Fitzy ran a 4.53 while injured at his combine...his real time is thought to be in the low 4.4's :doh: (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/46239.html)

And I can guarantee to you the man runs faster than a 4.7 on the football field. Watch him play and tell me he's doing 4.7 speed as he runs away from DB's chasing him. He was closer to the 4.4/4.5 range in college, but he participated in the combine coming off a slight knee injury.

Cooley also ran in the 4.7 range at the combine and was projected as a 5th rounder or so, you telling me that's how slow he runs during games?

Jerry Rice also had a pretty pedestrian 40 time, and it's not like he panned out in the WCO or anything.

Don't buy into combine numbers all the time.

BMitch and Smokin' were talking about this on 980 today. They were referencing the JLC article and BMitch thought it should be Betts and a 4th. Smokin' thought it would take a higher pick and I agree.

Yeah, I heard that too. I got the impression they were just tossing it out there for reaction, not that there was any validity to it, other than Arizona is supposedly considering shopping Boldin. It would definitely take more than a fourth.

To me, it's a no-brainer. You give up a pick (even if it's 21) and a backup RB for Boldin. I like Betts, but he's replacable. Maybe it would give Rock a chance to prove himself.

Hail,

H

As much as I'm not wild about Betts and would love to give Mason a shot--no, no, no.

Boldin wants a huge deal. This is the opposite of what we should be doing, which is getting more picks, and drafting quality, cost-effective players, and developing them.

Boldin was sick next to Fitz. Maybe he won't be as sick in our O. It is possible.

I would much rather just trade Betts for a 3rd or 4th, which may be optimistic.

We MUST develop in house talent.

And there is a receiver in this draft as good, the question is, can our scouts find him?

Trade down, draft 3 WRs, keep 6 on the roster, including Mix, Moss, ARE, and DEVELOP them.

I dont think this trade will be a reality either. If Philly wants him they can give them a higher 1st rounder, and a cb and wr like they were gonna do for Fitz. It would take more than a 1st + Betts to outbid other teams, and anything more than that for him and you can keep him.

Do you really think Arizona would be willing to give up Boldin? Sure, he's due for a big contract, but he's too talented for them to get rid of right now.
Like I've said in other threads, it's not really up to Arizona for too much longer.

Last Thursday they were only 300,000 under the cap for next year, after the new Fitzgerald deal they'll be roughly 5-7 million under, which is enough to afford Boldin's super low-ball deal he's currently approaching the end of and sign their rookies.

Within two years though, Fitzgerald's deal will balloon up again to ridiculous costs since essentially all they did was extend judgment day on that for a couple more years, and after next year it's fair to assume Boldin will be heavily considering a new contract, especially with Rosenhaus as his agent.

A team can't realistically afford two mega-priced #1 recievers with the salary cap today, and that also doesn't fit the kind of offense they're trying to implement. On top of that, they need defensive help badly, and they can't get any kind of free agency help they'll need as long as they're shelling out the cash to Edgerrin, Leinart, Fitzgerald, Boldin, and any possible FA o-linemen they might want to bring in to help their running game.

Something's gotta give and it only makes sense to get the best trade value possible out of Boldin before he gets a new deal. Whether that'll be through us or not, it definitely seems like Boldin will not be a Cardinal within the next couple years.

Important question for those who like this idea.....

Where do you then get the 1st Round Pick we need to upgrade the DE position, which is a considerably bigger problem than any offensive position at this point?

Maybe they would take next years. I agree we need a dominant pass rusher. If they want this years, I say forget it. Vinny doesn't seem to think we need much work on the pass rush according to his interviews.

I'd definitely trade the 1st rounder and Betts for a guy like Boldin. Anquan Boldin can get you 100 rec, 1400 yds, 10 TDs each year. He has GREAT run-after-catch ability and can fit the need well. We could then draft a running back later on that can provide a complement to CP. As a current student, I'd love Georgia Tech's Tashard Choice, who was rated as the #1 senior RB earlier, but had durability concerns and got injured a bit this year. He runs hard and strong, with good vision as well.

However, all these potential trades need two teams to be interested. Arizona might not want to give up one of the best young duos, and their new contract with Fitzgerald shows they want to provide enough tools for Leinart (or whoever their QB will be) to succeed.

Important question for those who like this idea.....

Where do you then get the 1st Round Pick we need to upgrade the DE position, which is a considerably bigger problem than any offensive position at this point?

This is just one year, but I'm sure other years would provide similar results. These are the 2008 Pro Bowl starters at DE.

Aaron Kampman - Round 5

Patrick Kerney - Round 1 (pick 30)

Jared Allen - Round 4

Kyle Vanden Bosch - Round 2

The point is, if you can give up a draft pick for a proven player in his prime that also fits a need (big WR is a need), then you do it.

It's up to the Redskins to draft wisely and find the players that the teams above found when they drafted them. There is no guarantee that a first round DE draft choice will pan out, but there is a very high probability that Boldin will based on his past performances.

Hail,

H

NO WAY is this a good idea!!! I am sick of all the speculation and DESIRE for the Skins

to trade draft picks away for other players. I have an idea: How about we KEEP all of

the draft picks and build from within? How about drafting a WR and a DE and CB and a

OG? The draft seems to have worked quite well for the Steelers through the years. The

Skins have already been down the road of trading away high picks in the past 7 years,

and where has it really gotten them? News Flash folks: our beloved Skins are not 1

player away from the Super Bowl! Bring on the draft...let's keep all of the picks, and let

the chips fall where they may!!!

Betts aint that interesting to Arizona. Edge still has some game left in him and they could easily draft a RB this year. There is a solid crop of RB's available after Mcfadden.

Shh...don't tell Arizona. It is unlikely that Betts really carries much weight as trade bait. Started 11 games in a 6-year career and will be 29 years old by the start of the season. Don't dash our eternal hopes of pulling a master move in the offseason to make us seem like SB contenders again.

ok guys, lets snap back to reality and realize two things I think is just crazy..

#1 IF the cards were willing to give up Boldin for a first and Ladell Betts the skins would be all over this in two seconds.. that is a steal and a half.. what is the guy, 25-26? To say Boldin isn't worth it is absolutely insane.. perhaps Boldin isn't a great fantasy player or something I wouldn't know.. bottom line is, he is an amazing talent and he's as young as some draft picks..

#2 THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY THAT THE CARDS ARE GOING TO DO THIS DEAL!! everything else is moot.. If the Cards were willing to do this, the eagles would be all over this.. I'd rather have a first and Lito Sheppard, than a first and Ladell Betts.. nobody here can convince me that Betts is an upgrade over Edge..

Archived