Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kffl:Jim Wyatt reports:Team showing interest in WR Justin McCareins

michael_33

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Redskins | Team showing interest in McCareins

Fri, 7 Mar 2008 04:44:31 -0800

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports the Washington Redskins have expressed interest in free-agent WR Justin McCareins (Jets).

Justin McCareins=

-----------------

Height: 6-2 Weight: 215 Age: 29

Born: 12/11/1978 Naperville , IL

College: Northern Illinois

Experience: 7th season

High School: Naperville North HS [iL]

Career Stats more

Season Team Receiving Rushing Fumbles

G GS Rec Yds Avg Long TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost

2007 New York Jets 16 6 19 232 12.2 51 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2006 New York Jets 16 7 23 347 15.1 50 1 -- -- -- -- -- 1 0

2005 New York Jets 16 16 43 713 16.6 45 2 1 8 8.0 8 0 -- --

2004 New York Jets 16 16 56 770 13.8 43 4 2 -5 -2.5 -2 0 3 0

2003 Tennessee Titans 16 10 47 813 17.3 73 7 1 13 13.0 13 0 2 1

2002 Tennessee Titans 16 1 19 301 15.8 55 2 2 18 9.0 16 0 -- --

2001 Tennessee Titans 4 1 3 88 29.3 36 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

TOTAL 210 3,264 15.5 73 16 6 34 5.7 16 0 6 1

Here's an old article I found about McCareins from 2002 back when he was pretty young in the league:

http://www.titansonline.com/news/titans_news_detail.php?PRKey=815

McCareins began his professional career in an impressive manner, but had his rookie season cut short when he fractured his left ankle against Tampa Bay in early October. Although he admits sitting out the final 11 games was difficult, he didn’t let his frustration get the best of him. In fact, McCareins feels he adjusted well over the off-season and is resolved to work even harder this year.

“I think the adjustment has gone very well,” McCareins said. “I’d never been injured before throughout high school and college. It was a shock for me at first, but you quit feeling sorry for yourself and you keep working. Once you heal up, you keep working like you had been before and just try to get even better.”

Fully recovered, McCareins picked up this summer right where he left off before the injury. If off-season workouts are any indication, McCareins can expect to see significant playing time in 2002. He is determined to impress the coaches with not only his play-making abilities, but with his willingness to take a few extra steps as well.

“I think number one, just eliminate all the mental mistakes and those types of things,” McCareins said. “Do a lot of things receivers aren’t known for doing, like blocking and some of the special teams things. I know I can contribute in any way they want me to.”

McCareins is what scares me about Hackett. He had some success early in his career, but seemed to get injured a couple of times. Then, when he went to the Jets, he never blossomed into the #2 receiver role like they thought he would.

Could Hackett be same song, different verse?

Here's a story about the guy's dedication:

http://www.theganggreen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23138

NEW LEASH ON LIFE

MCCAREINS PROVING DOG DAYS ARE OVER

By MARK CANNIZZARO

CATCHING ON:Justin McCareins, who was stuck in Eric Mangini’s doghouse last season, earned the respect of his teammates by never letting up.July 30, 2007 -- A year ago, Justin McCareins had a front-row seat in purgatory.

During the first couple days of the 2006 training camp, the Jets’ seventh-year receiver was so deep into Eric Mangini’s doghouse there was no light showing a way out.

Considering the kind of ripped shape he always keeps himself in, it was one of the shocking events of the summer when McCareins was placed on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list on the first day of training camp for failing the pre-camp running test. Instead of practicing with his teammates in those first couple of sessions, McCareins was reduced to jogging laps around the field as punishment. All that was missing was the stool and dunce cap in the corner of the room for embarrassment purposes.

Though McCareins never said so, sources close to him made it clear that he was being made an example of, a pawn in the new head coach’s discipline game.

Then, shortly into training camp, it became clear McCareins had lost his starting job to Jerricho Cotchery despite having started all 32 games as a Jet in the previous two seasons.

Many players would have immediately wanted out or pouted, but McCareins never veered off the high road, never complaining publicly, never showing any signs of quitting.

Instead, he quietly soldiered on, grudgingly accepted his new role as a third or fourth option at receiver and went on to make some impact plays as the team’s best deep threat.

“That’s the best I’ve seen anybody take everything that was dished at him and continue to keep working and not have any moans or gripes,’’ Jets receiver Laveranues Coles said. “He won me over just by the way he handled everything, by the way he dealt with not starting, being on PUP the first couple days and he never let it get him down. He harnessed (the negative) and just played with it. I don’t know how he does it.

“If there’s anybody on this team I respect most it’s Justin McCareins. If there’s one word you can say about Justin McCareins it’s that he’s a true pro.’’

McCareins sucks, this would be a bad move. Ask any jets fan about him a QB converted to WR beat him for his job. The guy drops any pass longer then 10 yards has horrible hands, slower then a TE, and the definition of soft. Re-sign brandon llyd but stay away from this guy.

Here's a more negative article on McCareins.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/18/sports/football/18jets.html?n=Top/News/Sports/Pro%20Football/National%20Football%20League/New%20York%20Jets

A few feet away, at the center of a swarm of reporters, was Coles’s fellow receiver Justin McCareins, who let two touchdown passes slip out of his hands in the penultimate minute of the game.

Coles eyed the crowd pointedly. He was less concerned about the invasion of his personal space than of McCareins’s.

On a team full of individuals who wear their shortcomings on their sleeves, McCareins is considered one of the more self-critical. Asking him to address his failures was like asking the actor Albert Brooks to comment on his neuroses.

Here's a press conference where coach Mangini talks about McCareins:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/1907-coach-s-thursday-news-conference

On McCareins' deep-play ability …

I'm looking at not just this year but historically. He's made some big vertical downfield plays. Usually when you see a bigger guy, it doesn't always give the impression of a burner because they tend to build speed as opposed to shoot off the line. That's similar with [Randy] Moss or [Terrell] Owens or any of those guys. Bigger guys tend to build as they go as opposed to just starting out of the gate that way.

Mc Air Hands?

Definitely pass on this guy. He's total garbage. Probably worse than Rod Gardner.

Redskins don't need him and even if he's signed he'd be a longshot to make the squad.

Agreed.

He never saw a big play he couldn't ruin with a dropped pass. See last year's game vs the Ravens.

We're better off with Thrash than McCareins.

~Bang

For the right price, I'd give McCareins a shot.

I watched that game in question against the Ravens that he blew with those 2 dropped passes. In fairness to him, Kellen Clemons threw those passes. Justin was probably just so used to "Noodle Arm" Penningtons loopers that quick good passes got on him to fast......

Archived