Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we don't address the WR position in FA,is it a no-brainer we draft one in Round 1?

michael_33

I've read many thread on reports from the staff (many threads) that our coaching staff in general is looking to add a big time WR to the offense.....(unless I've been mislead?)

...And then the reports that we are/were interested in Chad Johnson/larry Fitzgerald? or possibly other "so called" true #1 WR's on the market...

So I guess my question to the fans and moderators to the board is...

If we don't address the WR spot at least with a #2 WR in this years Free Agency,should it be obvious to us as fans that we wil look for a Kelly,Hardy,Sweed or someone with 1st round talent with 21st pick?

Many like myself want to see us draft a D-lineman with the 1st pick,but as we all know we haven't done so since Kenard Lang like 100 years ago...?

Our NFC East opponents are going to improve significantly over the course of this season on both sides of the ball and we're seeing it happen already...

Giants=already very good/Super Bowl champs and could possible add a DeAngelo Hall to that Spagnolia Defense...If they didn't add anyone to their team,they would still be a very tough opponent!

Eagles=Already have aquired Samuels and still have Lito...McNabb is back and healthy and they very well could add to that offense to it very tough for our Blache led Defense...Their defense is always tough!A good draft and perhaps a dangerous WR or 2,could really make it tough for us this next season against them!

Cowboys=Not only are they coming off a 13-3 season,but have (2) 1st rounders to boot...They are solid on both sides of the ball and are just going to get better each year with their nucleus!

Redskins=We are coming off a reasonably good season with a 9-7 record and a playoff birth...We endured alot of big injuries and a death to go with it...Unfortunately further, the death was the best player on defense if not the whole team...But did we get to the playoffs off of talent or inspiration or a little of both?Facts that I do know as a Redskins fan is we didn't get a TD to any of our WR's till the 2nd half of the season...and with the exception of Carters very good season,we didn't really look a whole lot better on the D-line with consistancy like the Giants,Eagles and Cowboys do...What am I saying?I'm saying that one really can't argue getting a WR or D-lineman with the #21 overall pick with either choice...Now you add to the fact that we are one legend short of a Sean Taylor to boot on defense!Let's also not forget the fact that we have a new coach,new off.Coor and a new D.Coor...and on and on...

I love the fact that we are being careful with our spending ways and I respect the fact that Snyder is trying to learn from his mistakes...But that doesn't mean we should sit on our hands while teams do everything to upgrade themselves at crucial positions of needs either..

We got to get a true #1WR or at least a #2 to compliment Moss so Randel can be a #3,which is where he belongs like in Pittsburgh...

We need help or motivation or something along that d-line PERIOD!If we expect Carter to be the lone force on that line than we we should start looking forward to the 09 season right now cause this one is over already!

I think Rogers sucks as most here might already know....But i think we can add a good playmaker back there either at CB or SS either by FA or the draft then we will be OK...I sure miss Sean!I wouldn't even write this if he were still here... :mad:

But if you guys think we will be OK with rogers covering a #1 WR or hell the #2....you will soon find out that I was right and that Rogers truly sucks period!!

If I'm the GM...I trade him if I can right now, for a pick....maybe for Lito... :cheers: me,you my dad....anyone

Sorry this is crazy long,but I had a lot of thoughts up to this point I needed to share...

You people that say we are desperate for O-lineman....I think you are ALL wrong...!Maybe 1 or 2 backups..for depth....But I think we are solid there...IMO....Our strongest unit on the field as least by starters!!if we win next year...It won't be because JC somehow found himself....It will be because our O-line decided not to break their legs and tear their ligaments this season...but it never hurts to add depth,which is always good!

IMO...our most major and Glaring needs by order...

1)Got a get a premiere DE/DT on that line to join with Carter.I don't mean just a decent one...I mean a blue chip..I'm a freakin' monster stud kinda guy!Griffin is good but aging and slippin'....If we don't sign one in free agency,you better hope and pray to whatever or whoever you pray too that we grab one in round 1 or round 2....If we don't it's over!!

2)Got to have a reasonably big target WR....Doesn't have to be a TO or a Chad,but if it's a Marcus Monk or some big guy to compliment Moss and all our midgets,then we will be set...Mix is good,but I need to see more of him on the Offense...

3)Either a playmakin' CB or Safety....Doesn't have to be Champ Bailey...but someone who is either real fast ot pickilicious!But we can find one of these in rounds 3 thru 7 as well...Free agency would be good,but I don't know what's available right now...

I promise you.....We do this...we are in the playoffs again with 10+ wins...I would bet my membership here!!I do not lie!!But it has to be axactly what I say....And I have to agree with the terms and players we got on it as well... :cheers:

Unfortunately...I don't think everyone including the Front office would see eye to eye with me,so my thread may be pointless!

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying it's a no-brainer we take a WR @ #21. We're gonna take the BPA and IMO that means there is a much greater chance it will be either DL,OL or CB and not WR.

Agreed. I'm assuming they have a short list of positions they want in the 1st and whoever drops to them they have to decide based on the value. Personally, I want Sweed, others want Albert (who I readily admit is a very good OG), others want DE. We'll have to see what is there when we pick.

I agree, but with all the receivers in free agency they really isn't a bonafide #1 receiver there are big WR's that could POTENTIALLY be #1 receivers. I think we will address it in the draft, but it usually takes a wide receiver around 3 years to finally hit there stride. Calvin Johnson did good, but not great this year, and there aren't any receivers that have CJ's talent. Unless we draft one and it turns out like Colstin and makes an immediate impact. It'll be interesting to see it all unfold this year.

In my opinion,with Carlos Rogers injury and a aging Shawn Springs, CB should be the number one priority.Second, a tall physical WR.Third, a pass rushing D-lineman.

Whether its through trades,FA, or the draft, if they can get three quality players who can come right in and start if needed at these positions, I would call it a successful off-season.

I think they will sit and watch the WR's vanish as they already have a deal with the Bengals for Ocho Cinco (my opinion). The Bengals want a post June 1st deal which is a win/win as they push the majority of Chad's cap hit into 2009 and we have Lloyd off our books on June 1st (frees up space) as well as we don't use 2008 draft picks but rather 2009 picks to get Ocho Cinco.

I don't understand why everyone is so enamored with the WR position. No, we don't have a big guy, but I'm not sure we need one. I think we need to get Caldwell back, and he, Randel El and Moss can get a rotation going on the field. Caldwell has damned good hands, and he did a little bit of the possession thing for us last season. Randel El had a bunch of short stuff as well.

I'm not opposed to a WR, but I think WR is going to be more of a second round and beyond thing, or at least thats how I feel. At #21 go BPA on the lines or a corner to take Springs place after this season. I wouldn't look in any other direction.

If you want to continue being mediocre, you draft wide receiver.

If you want to build a championship you draft lines.

damn skippy! Good WR's have to fit you system for the most part...College stats can't predict that they will. The biggest waste of money on a first day pick IMO.

Not a no brainer. The no brainer is defense hopefully defensive line. Look at the Dolphins. In one day Parcells has made two additions and is a Defensive Lineman away from being formidible and drafting a guy like Virginia's Long instead of a flashy running back or QB makes sense.

It would be funny if Redskins one using stealth mode announced that they signed Randy Moss but thats not happening

No. What we need at WR is a big guy to move the chains. This draft is full of them.

IMO we should draft Brandon Albert. Sure our starters can play well, but if one of them goes down the drop off is noticable to huge depending on the position. The huge is Fabini getting man handled resulting in Portis getting hit behind the line. JC gets hit more too as people try and compensate. That compensating includes having your RB and TE block instead of make big plays. Drafting this guy means Pete Kendall can become a very good and decently priced back up and probably for longer than if he has to start.

We spend a lot of dollars on Portis and Cooley. Let's free them up to make plays. We also spend a lot of money on WRs and our QB cost us serious picks. Let's give them time throughout the season to give value back.

If we can't get a DJ Hackett type at a decent price draft one in the 3rd. Use our second on a DT like Law from ND who has played both DT and DE. Instantly changes our prospective packages with Monty, Golston, Griffin for run stopping/pass pressure etc plus keeps players fresher as we groom Griffin's replacement.

A first with our WR (or even in a trade) treats the effect rather than the cause. Make our run game a little better and our pass game will benefit. Do the same for the pass and the run game is easier. Same holds for the DL.

Of course this would be helped if we could pick up Drayton Florence as well as a Hackett type FA ;)

EDIT: As you pointed out all our division rivals have good DLs and good OLs. We need to make sure our OL can beat their DLs and the same for our DL over their OLs. Or we're getting beat regurlarly.... We need to draft high now AND in the near future on both lines.

No it is not a no-brainer. We are not in need of a "true #1" What we are in need of is a reliable possession guy (Art Monk esque if you will). This can be addressed in rounds 2 or 3. The need for another passrusher is way too big for it to be ignored in the first round.

I would guess that if either Sweed or Kelly is sitting there when we pick that we don't pass either of them up. You don't just want a possession guy, you want a possession guy that can get yardage after the catch. He has to be able to make things happen with the ball in his hands. You don't want somebody who just goes down. Although you might get lucky later in the draft, the guys that made things happen in college will have it on film and will more than likely be highly rated. A guy like Colston is a rare exception and I wouldn't count on trying to hit on a guy like him later on.

I think you make some decent points.

But like you point out...our first need is DE/DT...the way to beat NYG/DAL/PHI..is to get at their QB's...cause pressure and force turnovers...we can add all the WR's we want but if our DL doesn't get pressure then we don't win.

Oh and I don't think Rogers sucks! He was actually have a very good year last year before getting hurt.

Oh and no thread is pointless, unless it's to debate Portis vs. Betts or LaVar vs. Gregg.

No. What we need at WR is a big guy to move the chains. This draft is full of them.

IMO we should draft Brandon Albert. Sure our starters can play well, but if one of them goes down the drop off is noticable to huge depending on the position. The huge is Fabini getting man handled resulting in Portis getting hit behind the line. JC gets hit more too as people try and compensate. That compensating includes having your RB and TE block instead of make big plays. Drafting this guy means Pete Kendall can become a very good and decently priced back up and probably for longer than if he has to start.

We spend a lot of dollars on Portis and Cooley. Let's free them up to make plays. We also spend a lot of money on WRs and our QB cost us serious picks. Let's give them time throughout the season to give value back.

If we can't get a DJ Hackett type at a decent price draft one in the 3rd. Use our second on a DT like Law from ND who has played both DT and DE. Instantly changes our prospective packages with Monty, Golston, Griffin for run stopping/pass pressure etc plus keeps players fresher as we groom Griffin's replacement.

A first with our WR (or even in a trade) treats the effect rather than the cause. Make our run game a little better and our pass game will benefit. Do the same for the pass and the run game is easier. Same holds for the DL.

Of course this would be helped if we could pick up Drayton Florence as well as a Hackett type FA ;)

EDIT: As you pointed out all our division rivals have good DLs and good OLs. We need to make sure our OL can beat their DLs and the same for our DL over their OLs. Or we're getting beat regurlarly.... We need to draft high now AND in the near future on both lines.

i keep going back and forth, on what i want the skins to do, the round one pick of albert, and two of laws, and three of a nickel corner, and maybe find monk somewhere in there, i also want flowers after hearing mayock talk up his tackling. sounds good.

No it is not a no-brainer. We are not in need of a "true #1" What we are in need of is a reliable possession guy (Art Monk esque if you will). This can be addressed in rounds 2 or 3. The need for another passrusher is way too big for it to be ignored in the first round.

i could be mistaken, but i believe that art monk was a first rounder.

It all depends on who has been taken and who is available. WR is the not the only need, if the Skins talent evaluators feel a bigger impact player is available at another one of the positions we need, they will go a different direction. If the guy they really want at WR is available, they will select him.

There is no way to know until the events of the draft play out.

Archived