Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MVN - Can Chris Wilson Improve on 4 Sacks?

HapHaszard

http://mvn.com/nfl-redskins/2008/02/28/can-chris-wilson-improve-on-4-sacks/

Player Profile: Chris Wilson, Defensive End, Northwood College (MI)

NFL Experience: 1 year

Contract Remaining: 2 years

2008 Cap Number: $373,000

2008 Release Fee: None

One of the big reasons that the Redskins finished dead last in total defense, passing defense, and adjusted sack rate in 2006 was the lack of a 3rd down pass rusher type who could come into the game once every three plays and get pressure on the QB. Chris Clemons had filled that role in 2005, but was released after suffering a knee injury in camp prior to the 2006 season. No one came in to fill that role that Clemons vacated (and returned to as a Raider this year), and therefore, no one got any sort of pressure on the QB whatsoever. Combine that with a lack of depth in the secondary, and the one year aberration is completely explained.

Every team needs a player like Wilson on their roster. Whether his full time position is linebacker, or defensive end, third downs in the NFL require people who can get to the passer quickly; after all, it doesn’t take very long for those receiver to run their routes to the sticks.

Wilson was a 25 year old rookie, and he was clearly learning as the season went along. His pass rushing routes became quicker, and more direct. He stopped running himself out of so many plays. He learned how to defend against draws and screens. And the sack production stayed consistent throughout the entire season. These are all very good signs for the future.

click on the link above for the rest of the article

I think Chris Wilson is going to be a highly productive situational player. Similar to Robert Mathis before he became a starter. I don't see a reason to force Wilson to bulk up to defend against the run if he can't maintain the same speed. He should probably stay as a rotational guy and just work on his pass rush moves. The biggest problem with him was he's somewhat of a one trick pony. He has the outside speed rush and not a whole let else. I would like to see him work on a spin move, or some sort of inside rush to add to his arsenal.

I think Chris was a great pick up and should consistently flirt with double digit sacks after another year or two of NFL training.

I'm kind of expecting him to become something good. It's the current Redskin way. Golston is at least a good guy to rotate with Montgomery to anchor the line. Montgomery himself, could become a real star in this league. Blades who looks at home in with the big boys every time he gets a run. Mix came in and made plays on Teams and I expect him to step up too. Maybe nothing special but solid and clutch when his bud JC needs him. We have a really good core of young guys right now. Keep all our draft picks and we can add a bunch more too...

Chris Wilson is a part of this bunch of players and I like his potential to add a few pounds and see what he can do given some play time. Even if there's growing pains as he learns the run game. The guy's too high energy to limit to 3rd downs if at all possible.

I really like Chris Wilson everyone is saying he is undersized yes he is but lets be serious so is London Fletcher and I consider him one of the best LB's in the game and Chris Wilson is quick and strong. I really think Chris Wilson has a bright spot in the burgendy and gold if he can get a little bigger

I really like Chris Wilson everyone is saying he is undersized yes he is but lets be serious so is London Fletcher and I consider him one of the best LB's in the game and Chris Wilson is quick and strong. I really think Chris Wilson has a bright spot in the burgendy and gold if he can get a little bigger

Fletch isn't undersized at all. Yes, he's short but he has ideal weight for the position... which makes him absolutely STACKED for a 5'10" guy.

I like Wilson, and hope he really pans out, but that article was beyond bad. First, asserting that one of the big reasons for that down year was we lost Clemons is downright stupid. Then they go one step further and say that combined with lack of depth in the secondary "completely explains" that year. Completely explains? Are you serious? Oy.

While I really like Wilson, the idea that our problems are over when we get a 3rd down rusher is absurd. What about first and second downs? Teams DO pass on those too. What about 3rd and short, or 3rd and 5? Basically hes relegated to sure passing downs. Meanwhile for the majority of the plays, we have a pass rush from one side only. I guess it works as long as the other team is kind enough not to pass on first and second downs(the downs where playaction is MOST effective).

Both Carter and Wilson would have had more sacks if we had gotten more pressure up the middle. QBs were able to step up into the pocket to avoid the outside pass rush far too often against us.

If we get a three technique DT we'll likely see a dramatic difference in terms of our ability to rush with just the front four.

Bingo. It starts on the inside and works outside. We need Mont. to get better and acquire a beast up the middle to keep the OL tight, then the outside will open up. Not to mention what this could do for our blitz packages.....you know....where the skins usually send 2 guys on a blitz that normally get picked up at the line of scrimmage. Put a big 3 technique guy in there to push the hole open and we may actually see an inside blitz get some pressure.

Both Carter and Wilson would have had more sacks if we had gotten more pressure up the middle. QBs were able to step up into the pocket to avoid the outside pass rush far too often against us.

If we get a three technique DT we'll likely see a dramatic difference in terms of our ability to rush with just the front four.

Amen to that.

Wilson was a great find. Doubt he'd be able to replace Daniels though. Maybe we should go for a guy like DE Jason Jones out of Eastern Michigan in the draft. He might be a 3rd round project but could possibe replace Daniels. He also has a lot of experience playing DT in college so we could move him in to DT on 3rd downs and bring in Wilson. Then we would have 3 solid pass rusher in there on 3rd downs.

Wilson is a good speed rusher but unless he can bulk up at least 20 pounds which would only place him at around Carters weight who is considered small.

I doubt he could be a every down player. Still he could be very usefull player and at very least is decent backup if Carter gets injured.

Archived