Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per ESPN.com - Campbell to start at QB, Collins to be backup

SkinsFanCU07

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3259199

Thoughts? I personally agree with this 100% and should help with Jason's confidence going into the 08' season. I think it shows that obviously Z-Man knows that jason has all of the tangibles in the world to be the best QB possible for the redskins. Hopefully, he can help further Jason's progress along and prove to us all that he is the franchise QB that we all hoped he was when he was drafted.

Thoughts? I personally agree with this 100% and should help with Jason's confidence going into the 08' season. I think it shows that obviously Z-Man knows that jason has all of the tangibles in the world to be the best QB possible for the redskins. Hopefully, he can help further Jason's progress along and prove to us all that he is the franchise QB that we all hoped he was when he was drafted.

The big IF is will Collin's sign with us? I think so as I don't see him getting the nod as a starting QB with another team.

When you have a new head coach and a Qb situation like towards the end of last season, you have to make that choice. The only way Collins would have stayed the starter is if the Redskins made it to either the NFC championship game or the Super Bowl. With Zorn being a former QB himself who played in the NFL for 12 seasons, he knows what it means to both men. But to insert Jason as the starter is wise. This way, there's no doubt in Campbell's mind about anything. Good move by the new head coach.

Howdy Skins Faithful!

Many of us may have been a bit squeemish when the Z-man was handed the reigns, but I stand by my previous assertion that Popppa Joe's 4 year return has opened Danny Boy's (previously wide shut) eye. I was on the fence about cleaning house and starting over w/ new D Coord and new offense, but I think he's gotten it right this time. I think we have something good brewin here...

Major mistake. Not because Collins should start instead of Campbell but because Campbell needs some incentive to learn and improve. He won't be motivated to excel and he will rest on his laurels and be the same inconsistent QB he was this season. I like JZ but that was a huge mistake.

The flip side is that if you don't give Collins even the thought that he could play next year he's going to be gone. And you saw how valuable he was as a back up last season.

Major mistake. Not because Collins should start instead of Campbell but because Campbell needs some incentive to learn and improve. He won't be motivated to excel and he will rest on his laurels and be the same inconsistent QB he was this season. I like JZ but that was a huge mistake.

You gotta get, that, dirt off your shoulder

You gotta get, that, dirt off your shoulder

Oh, you meant JC. I on the other hand think that giving Campbell the starting position is not only a no-brainer, but just the confidence boost he needs.

[size=2

Oh, you meant JC. I on the other hand think that giving Campbell the starting position is not only a no-brainer, but just the confidence boost he needs.

[/size]

The man is a professional football player. If his psyche is so fragile he needs his confidence built up he shouldn't be playing. That's crap. :doh:

Your opinion is way off. He was the starter going into last season and they said he was at the park more than anyone else

...and he was really on his game, wasn't he?

besides Cooley, he was the most consistent guy on the offensive side of the football and was the only reason why we started off so great. If it weren't for moss plays in GB and Betts inability to get in the endzone the season could have had different results

I admit, I knocked JC big time last year. But considering the Oline and dropped passes, JC did as well as could be expected.

As for assuring him he will be the starter, I think that was a good move. JC won't rest on his laurels now. That was the type of thing to say to a young and worried QB. He can focus on performing and being a mentee to Zorn.

Only way it could happen. The last thing you want your young starting QB to have to deal with is a head game of what his status is. He needs to have confidence. If you look at all of the great QB's in this league, when young they werent in some life and death battle with some old vet for the starting job. Its not like other positions. Confidence and whats going on in that QB's head is just as important as anything else.

The really bad teams are the ones that cant decide between the aging vet and the young QB. I dont want us to be that team.

Wow. I'm sure glad I read this. How would I have ever guessed that this would happen.:rolleyes:

besides Cooley, he was the most consistent guy on the offensive side of the football and was the only reason why we started off so great. If it weren't for moss plays in GB and Betts inability to get in the endzone the season could have had different results

I always look at a poster's age when i hear this stuff. I will grant you that he made plays that help us win. He also made critical mistakes that turned the ball over and put our defense in bad situations. He also made poor decisions and throws. I know our line was a sore spot but he still made MENTAL errors and he has got to overcome that immediately or I think he needs to go after this season. He's not a rookie anymore. He's also a professional and needs to perform like one. I only saw flashes last year. As for the other players "ifs", you can make ifs for just about everyone on both sides of the ball. Can't target the skill positions.

I always look at a poster's age when i hear this stuff. I will grant you that he made plays that help us win. He also made critical mistakes that turned the ball over and put our defense in bad situations. He also made poor decisions and throws. I know our line was a sore spot but he still made MENTAL errors and he has got to overcome that immediately or I think he needs to go after this season. He's not a rookie anymore. He's also a professional and needs to perform like one. I only saw flashes last year. As for the other players "ifs", you can make ifs for just about everyone on both sides of the ball. Can't target the skill positions.

You are in that school, that because you are older, you know about football. :laugh:

Competition won't improve JC in the areas where he made mistakes...they weren't made because he was slacking or goofing off or not trying hard enough. The two things Campbell needs most from his coaches--and most QBs with his level of experience--is confidence and patience. Without either, you'll see a lot more forced throws, more hesitancy in the pocket, more dead plays out of fear of making a mistake.

The flip side is that if you don't give Collins even the thought that he could play next year he's going to be gone. And you saw how valuable he was as a back up last season.

He'll only be gone if he can be promised a starting position or at least a sincere, real shot at starting and not just coach-speak about "open competitions" in which everyone knows who's going to win already. But that may be moot since he went 10 freakin' years sitting on the bench, and most of those sitting on ONE bench. This is not a player that went from team to team searching for a starting gig...he seemed more than ok with staying on one team in which he had no chance of being the starter.

the truth of the matter is that Moss and Portis played like **** the first half of the season and that cost us victories.

it was hardly Campbell's fault that Portis fumbled drives away and Moss dropped potential touchdowns against Green Bay and the Eagles.

It wasn't until the death of Sean Taylor that the team came together and Moss/Portis got healthy - those were the factors that propelled this team forward and Collins gets the credit because he was under center for those final games.

My view is that Campbell under center those last 4 games with the other circumstances changed as they were, would also have enjoyed success.

For all those who criticize Campbell after 20 starts in the NFL, consider the case of Eli Manning.

How come nobody is calling him a bum any longer in NY? :D

This time last year some Giants fans I know were ready to trade him out of town and start over at the qb spot.

Now he is a GOD :laugh: :laugh:

It's not a mistake for a QB to try and put the ball in the endzone when you have less than a minute left and you're down by 4+. It's not a mistake by the QB to get rid of the ball to avoid the sack. It's not a mistake of the QB when he's hit as he lets the ball go or there's an opposing lineman at his feet. It's not a mistake of the QB when your NFC East team has the lowest yards per carry average of all the NFC East teams. It's not a QB mistake when the play calling goes ultraconservative because we're up by 3. It's not a QB mistake when the offensive play-calling is run, run, pass, punt for 3/4's of the game. It's not a QB mistake when the guy playing right tackle is so poor that they take your number one receiver (Cooley) and a RB (CP) and keep them out of the pattern to block.

JC's had two years in the system compared to 5 for Romo sits to pee. He's had 1 preseason with the starters. He has played 20 games. Is he Joe Montana/Dan Marino/ Tom Brady? No. But each of those guys had two or three Pro Bowl linemen when they played, and JC has had undrafted free agents or leftovers from other teams. The best linemen he has, Samuels, was drafted in 1999! He got hurt because he had no pass protection from the start of training camp until they finally got to him. And without a running game, you don't have much of a passing game either.

Until we get him some offensive linemen to give him time to throw the ball, I'm going to cut this kid some slack. Just like I cut Portis some slack for having the lowest yard per carry average of any back in the NFC East.

BTW, having a geriatric, second string offensive line is not a QB mistake either. That would be Vinny's mistake.

Archived