Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Memphis State #1 vs. Tennessee #2 (now Duke convo.) (poll included)

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

You would take 12 other coaches ahead of K? How is that different than what I said? Again, you make zero sense!

Btw, your list is absolutely hilarious. Going by the complete bodies of work of all on that list the only ones even in K's ballpark are Williams, Calhoun and Izzo. And even if you go on recent performance there's no way some of those are on there. Man, you just proved that you really aren't that knowledgeable when it comes to college basketball. Your Duke haterism has SERIOUSLY clouded your judgment. I mean, you're not even CLOSE with your arguments, man!

I dont know how many times ive said "recently." Its a lot though. Please tell me what Coach K has done in the past 5 years? You havent answered that yet, i keep asking. Not once have you referred to anything Coach K has done recently. I dont think you pay much attention to NCAA basketball.

Edit: And isn't it the COACH'S responsibility to get talent? I love how you penalize K and/or make excuses for Huggins when he doesn't get more talented kids.:laugh:

It is, he's been at 3 different schools, he hasnt had time to get his guys in. Just wait. And what is Coach K's excuse? He GETS multiple McDonalds all americans every year. He still cant get his team past the Sweet 16 anymore.

Roy has but hasn't been in the league that long

You cannot be serious. He won 400+ games at Kansas, 3 final 4's, and an AP Coach of the Year award. Wow, that may be the most ignorant comment you've ever posted. :doh:

UConn has been strugeling the last couple of years if you didn't know :)

Duke didnt struggle last year?

Arizona hasn't done much either recently.

Uh, they won the Pac 10 in 2000, 2003, and 2005.

UCLA has been very good since they got the coach from Pittsburgh once again not many years though.

2 consecutive Final Fours, yep.

I dont know how many times ive said "recently." Its a lot though. Please tell me what Coach K has done in the past 5 years? You havent answered that yet, i keep asking. Not once have you referred to anything Coach K has done recently. I dont think you pay much attention to NCAA basketball.

It is, he's been at 3 different schools, he hasnt had time to get his guys in. Just wait. And what is Coach K's excuse? He GETS multiple McDonalds all americans every year. He still cant get his team past the Sweet 16 anymore.

Dude, im aware that you're mainly talking about what he's done recently. But you also can't take away what the man has accomplised, as a "whole". And that's what you're doing. Btw, he has still won ACC Championships and around 25 games each year. And all the while playing in one of the toughest leagues in the country. The fact that he hasn't had quite the success he had in the 90s still doesn't take away from his legend. He's still a great coach. Its obviously not an easy thing to win consistently in the tourney and sustain that your entire coaching career. There's only been a very select few that have ever done that. And I could understand your point if K had not been at least getting them to the dance. But he has. The Yankees have had the highest payroll in baseball, by far, for the last 5 years. How many titles have they won? So, does that mean Joe Torre isn't a good coach, too? Afterall, he won 4 WS in 5 years in the late 90s, early 2000s, and nothing the last 5 years.

Recruiting is often times an overrated tool. I've said this forever. Simply getting the so-called "best" players coming out of high school doesn't always translate to the next level. But if you followed college sports enough you should already know this.

Dude, im aware that you're mainly talking about what he's done recently. But you also can't take away what the man has accomplised, as a "whole". And that's what you're doing. Btw, he has still won ACC Championships and around 25 games each year. And all the while playing in one of the toughest leagues in the country. The fact that he hasn't had quite the success he had in the 90s still doesn't take away from his legend. He's still a great coach. Its obviously not an easy thing to win consistently in the tourney and sustain that your entire coaching career. There's only been a very select few that have ever done that. And I could understand your point if K had not been at least getting them to the dance. But he has. The Yankees have had the highest payroll in baseball, by far, for the last 5 years. How many titles have they won? So, does that mean Joe Torre isn't a good coach, too? Afterall, he won 4 WS in 5 years in the late 90s, early 2000s, and nothing the last 5 years.

Recruiting is often times an overrated tool. I've said this forever. Simply getting the so-called "best" players coming out of high school doesn't always translate to the next level. But if you followed college sports enough you should already know this.

I seriously am not taking anything away from his body of work as a whole. In the 90's he had a phenomenal run. Im simply saying that recently, Coach K is not nearly the best coach in the NCAA. Thats all im saying.

I agree with you on the recruiting thing, and i guarantee i follow college sports far more closely than you.

You cannot be serious. He won 400+ games at Kansas, 3 final 4's, and an AP Coach of the Year award. Wow, that may be the most ignorant comment you've ever posted. :doh:

I was talking about his time in the ACC. Roy is a great coach and he and K are on the save level.

Duke struggled last year but still made the tourny. Haven't they been the most years in a row???? :)

I seriously am not taking anything away from his body of work as a whole. In the 90's he had a phenomenal run. Im simply saying that recently, Coach K is not nearly the best coach in the NCAA. Thats all im saying..

You said he wasn't one of the best dozen coaches, which one is it, flipper :laugh: :laugh:

As for best coach I would give that to Roy right now anyway.

Holy ****. Can you not understand the difference between "recently" and "the 90's"?

i don't you understand you said 2 year, 3 years, and now 5 years is that the going defintion we have??

so lets go back the last 5 years

2002-2003 - acc champs, lost in 2nd round of NCAA finished 21-6

2003-2004 - lost to md in acc final, lost in final 4 finished 31-6

2004-2005 - acc champs, lost in 2nd round of NCAA finished 27-6

2005-2006 - acc champs, lost in 2nd round of NCAA finished 32-4

2006-2007 - lost in first round of acc, lost in first round in ncaa finished 22-11

3 acc champs in 5 seasons is not bad at all

I think almost any team besides Fla would take that :)

I thought it was a great game. I think that TN at times looked careless with the basketball and sloppy on O. But they hustled and scrapped and seemed to come up with a lot of boards and loose balls, which I think was the difference.

Also, Memphis's performance at the line looks like it finally bit them.

My thoughts are that if TN can eliminate some of the mistakes and sloppiness, they are going to be the team to beat in the tourney.

I seriously am not taking anything away from his body of work as a whole. In the 90's he had a phenomenal run. Im simply saying that recently, Coach K is not nearly the best coach in the NCAA. Thats all im saying.

I agree with you on the recruiting thing, and i guarantee i follow college sports far more closely than you.

You may follow them more than I. (although I doubt it) But you don't seem as if that's the case. It seems to me that you follow, and know alot more about college football, then you do college basketball.

And he's still one of the 3 best coaches in college basketball, no matter HOW you look at it.

i don't you understand you said 2 year, 3 years, and now 5 years is that the going defintion we have??

so lets go back the last 5 years

2002-2003 - acc champs, lost in 2nd round of NCAA finished 21-6

2003-2004 - lost to md in acc final, lost in final 4 finished 31-6

2004-2005 - acc champs, lost in 2nd round of NCAA finished 27-6

2005-2006 - acc champs, lost in 2nd round of NCAA finished 32-4

2006-2007 - lost in first round of acc, lost in first round in ncaa finished 22-11

3 acc champs in 5 seasons is not bad at all

I think almost any team besides Fla would take that :)

Thanks, booma. I was going to eventually pull up those very same stats and make him look foolish. But you beat me to it.:)

not after this year :)

The 'Cats will survive this year despite this easily being their worst team in years (I nominate the '99 and '04 teams as pretty bad also). Beating Washington State helped them but this is one year where you look at their RPI and SOS, and outside of the conference they don't have a truly great nonconference win. Beating Texas A&M was good when it happened, but A&M isn't doing so well now. Houston and UNLV are good wins, but neither is a Top 25 squad. Had they beaten Kansas or Memphis, things would have looked better. Plus getting swept by Arizona State was a major blow (and downright unacceptable). This year's Arizona squad will probably be a one-and-done deal. Bayless and Budinger are good players, but Budinger has his days and Bayless sometimes tries to do too much. McClellan hasn't lived up to his hype since coming to Tucson, Hill needs to stay down low more, stop crouching down and play upright to get as much as he can out of his 6'9" 211 frame, and stop trying to dribble the ball so much (he had 6 TOs last night). getting back Nic Wise will surely help them, but their frontcourt is either filled with guys who are too small (Horne, Brielmaier) or guys too stiff (Walters). They need a solid showing in the Pac-10 tournament to get into a #6 seeding. I see them as an 8 right now.

r.e. Coach K.

He will go down as one of the elite college basketball coaches of all time, nobody can ever take that away from him. But I get the feeling his time has passed.

I still remember (1991 iirc?) Duke beating UNLV in the Tourney. That UNLV team was probably one of the best of all time. Duke, with a roster filled with akward white guys, simply out-witted them and out-played them. One of the best coaching jobs I've ever seen in BBall imho. And he used to routinely beat UNC with inferior teams. Duke was always known as the College Powerhouse who never sent anyone to the pros. Danny Ferry, Christian Laetner, Bobby Hurley... all great at Duke and nowhere else. Grant Hill was the one exception.

Compare that to Dean Smith who every year had a roster stacked with NBA talent... it should never have been a contest. But Coach K would get the best of them... which made Duke (at the time) one of the funnest teams in sports to watch. Unfortunately with their (Duke's) success, it looks like they've created an Army of haters since I stopped following College Basketball back in the mid-90s. I think, though, that says more about their program than anything else. You don't hate the teams you routinely beat.

Nobody can take away what Coach K. has done in the past... he's truly one of the greats.

Now, would I trade him for Bruce Pearl? No. :)

r.e. Coach K.

He will go down as one of the elite college basketball coaches of all time, nobody can ever take that away from him. But I get the feeling his time has passed.

I still remember (1991 iirc?) Duke beating UNLV in the Tourney. That UNLV team was probably one of the best of all time. Duke, with a roster filled with akward white guys, simply out-witted them and out-played them. One of the best coaching jobs I've ever seen in BBall imho. And he used to routinely beat UNC with inferior teams. Duke was always known as the College Powerhouse who never sent anyone to the pros. Danny Ferry, Christian Laetner, Bobby Hurley... all great at Duke and nowhere else. Grant Hill was the one exception.

Compare that to Dean Smith who every year had a roster stacked with NBA talent... it should never have been a contest. But Coach K would get the best of them... which made Duke (at the time) one of the funnest teams in sports to watch. Unfortunately with their (Duke's) success, it looks like they've created an Army of haters since I stopped following College Basketball back in the mid-90s. I think, though, that says more about their program than anything else. You don't hate the teams you routinely beat.

Nobody can take away what Coach K. has done in the past... he's truly one of the greats.

Now, would I trade him for Bruce Pearl? No. :)

Awkard white guys? Um, Christian Laettner is 12th on the ALL TIME TOP 50 list they just showed during the Memphis/Tennesse game last night, pops! :doh:

And the fact that you would take Pearl over Coach K at ANY time is truly hysterical! :laugh: :laugh:

Awkard white guys? Um, Christian Laettner is 12th on the ALL TIME TOP 50 list they just showed during the Memphis/Tennesse game last night, pops! :doh:

And the fact that you would take Pearl over Coach K at ANY time is truly hysterical! :laugh: :laugh:

I've made the cupcake angry!

cupcake8.PNG

Angry? No, not at all. I'm just dumbfounded by some of the comments made in this thread by you and PB. Seriously, do either of you really follow college basketball?

Is it possible to have a conversation without you acting like a horse's ass? Honest question.

Angry? No, not at all. I'm just dumbfounded by some of the comments made in this thread by you and PB. Seriously, do either of you really follow college basketball?

Its a simple yes or no question. Do you think Duke has overachieved or underachieved recently considering their history, talent level, and success in the tournament?

The fact is, in college basketball, you are judged by what you to in the Dance.

How long till a big school goes after Pearl? He has done an amazing job at Tenn.

You're probably just talking about a big b-ball school. Honestly though, why would he leave. He's enjoying himself here, goes to a lot of the sporting events, always known as an approachable guy, etc....

And, UT has the reputation for women's b-ball. SUre, we're not UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, or any of the other big ones, but it's not like we're some no-name school either.

You're probably just talking about a big b-ball school. Honestly though, why would he leave. He's enjoying himself here, goes to a lot of the sporting events, always known as an approachable guy, etc....

And, UT has the reputation for women's b-ball. SUre, we're not UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, or any of the other big ones, but it's not like we're some no-name school either.

I am not saying he would leave but coaches do because of ego. Now Bruce though seems like he does not mind being second fiddle unlike other guys. He is a great guy and I hope he does stay.

drunk?

cuz thats still no excuse! get out of here man

Sorry man my brother was drunk and I got up and left my laptop sitting at the kitchen table and I was still logged in, I knew it was only a matter of time he woudl do something like this. I appologize for this and I just found out today he did this... Sorry please check my post history nothing like this has ever happened before...:doh:

Sorry man my brother was drunk and I got up and left my laptop sitting at the kitchen table and I was still logged in, I knew it was only a matter of time he woudl do something like this. I appologize for this and I just found out today he did this... Sorry please check my post history nothing like this has ever happened before...:doh:

Now we have a new excuse to use, next time lets just blame it on the dog though :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Archived