Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Home theatre help

artmonkforHOF

Im in the market for a new home theatre system and had a few questions.

I plan to buy a HDTV, PS3 and a new home theatre system within the next year. I dont care if the home theatre has a blu ray player as I plan to use the PS3 for that duty. I dont need 10,000 watts of power, I just want some nice sound. (so yeas I am going cheap on the home theatre under $500)

My questions are to do with surrond sound from different sources. Now I know I should be able to play regular DVD's in surround sound, as the theatre systems I am looking at all have a DVD player included, but how do I get surround sound from either my satelite TV feed or from the PS3?

I know I can connect an audio in to the home theatre system, but those are only the red and white stereo cables, but how do you get surround sound output when you only have stereo input? is this what the Dolby prologic programs do? or is it even possible? I know my TV box has a digital audio out line, but most home theatre systems I have seen do not have a digital audio in jack. Do I need this digital audio in jack to get full surround sound from sources other than the home theatre system?

Also, I saw one home theatre system that had a standard DVD player but a HDMI output for video. Is this connection really worth it since the DVD's are not HD? Will I see a noticable difference from non HD source materials using an HDMI cable as oppose to componetn or S video cables?

Thanks in advance.

Guest sith lord

Atleast 3 HDMI outputs on your TV. Although, you can buy an HDMI splitter from Best Buy. Also, you can get very good deals if you search online.

Now I know I should be able to play regular DVD's in surround sound, as the theatre systems I am looking at all have a DVD player included

Avoid buying a surround sound system with either the DVD player included or the DVD player actually *being* your "amplifier." Those all-in-one-systems are usually pretty horrible.

Look for a separate receiver (Onkyo has great products), then build around that. If you're worried about price, try to find refurbished brands.

http://www.cnet.com has some good reviews on surround sound systems.

Go to Best Buy and wait for the guys in the white van to sell you the speaker system they need to get rid of. They will give you a hell of a deal.

LOL

In all seriousness, I just bought a 37 inch Samsung LCD last week and it's pretty amazing. I haven't upgraded my satellite package but even the over the air HD channels are amazing.

For your TV I strongly recommend Samsung.

Guest sith lord
Avoid buying a surround sound system with either the DVD player included or the DVD player actually *being* your "amplifier." Those all-in-one-systems are usually pretty horrible.

Look for a separate receiver (Onkyo has great products), then build around that. If you're worried about price, try to find refurbished brands.

http://www.cnet.com has some good reviews on surround sound systems.

Exactly. Stay away from the "home theater in a box".

Sly speaks the truth. If I had to get a cheap system I would definetly go Onkyo. Not to say Onkyo does not have nice high end stuff too, cause they do. They are just the best of the cheap set ups in my opinion.

You can get carried away really quickly.

I bet if someone took a $500 out of the box Onkyo set up and had people take the Pepsi challenge between it and a setup costing thousands, very few people would be able to tell the difference.

jmo :)

Keep in mind, whatever you set up is going to sound 1000x's better than your TV.

In my experience, you can get good surround sound quality from your classic red-and-white input cables, however if you want really, really good surround, you should get a system with the optical (digital) audio input. Also, even if it costs a little more, get 7.1 (not 5.1) surround. It's amazing.

If he gets the PS3 it has the optical digital output. This will do the trick.

thanks for all the help, I wanted to stay away from the dedicated reciever simpy based on price. I cant justify spending a few thousand on recievers and speakers for a surround sound system that will only be used for 10 football games a year plus maybe a few movies per month.

But if your saying I can grab a reciever and some decent speakers for under $1000 in total I would be interested.

For the Onkyo brand, who sells it? I noticed bestbuy Canada does not sell Onkyo.

Guest sith lord
thanks for all the help, I wanted to stay away from the dedicated reciever simpy based on price. I cant justify spending a few thousand on recievers and speakers for a surround sound system that will only be used for 10 football games a year plus maybe a few movies per month.

But if your saying I can grab a reciever and some decent speakers for under $1000 in total I would be interested.

For the Onkyo brand, who sells it? I noticed bestbuy Canada does not sell Onkyo.

Most national retailers sells Onkyo. But check online.

For the best sound from DVD and PS3 I would go with a Digital Optical cable.

If you get a DVD with upcoverting you can get the best picture quality outside of buying blueray or HD.

The best picture quality you can get is with HDMI or DVI cables...period!!

So whenever possible try to use HDMI or DVI (the difference is HDMI is both video and audio together in one cable DVI is just the video, but both are HD quality)

The next best is your RGB component cables. After that would be S-video.

In order to get true 5.1 dolby digital you need to use either a coax cable or digital optical cables.

With that said, If you want the best picture and sound, look for a surround sound system that allows you to use HDMI as a hookup. The next best option would be digital optical(for audio) and RGB componant cables(for video)

The first piece of advice I would give you is don't get suckered into buying expensive cables and/or wires. The generic ones are just as good. I see people easily spend $200-300 more for their setup because they follow the salesmen's advice to buy the $50 cables for everything....

www.monoprice.com

My setup currently is:

Sony 6.1 Receiver(although I haven't purchased a rear center channel speaker yet) 5 Speakers & Subwoofer(I purchased speakers seperately)

PS3 which I use for blu-ray and dvds(before I had an upconvert dvd player, but the PS3 also upconverts the regular dvds)

Panasonic 5-disc CD changer.

The TV is hooked into the PS3 via HDMI

The PS3 is hooked up to the audio receiver via digital optical

One day down the road I will try to sell my receiver(or give it away) and get one with HDMI ports, but I am not sure how much difference the sound is between HDMI and Optical.

I plan to buy a HDTV, PS3 and a new home theatre system within the next year. I dont care if the home theatre has a blu ray player as I plan to use the PS3 for that duty. I dont need 10,000 watts of power, I just want some nice sound. (so yeas I am going cheap on the home theatre under $500)

My questions are to do with surrond sound from different sources. Now I know I should be able to play regular DVD's in surround sound, as the theatre systems I am looking at all have a DVD player included, but how do I get surround sound from either my satelite TV feed or from the PS3?

If you are using your PS3 for blu-ray, use it for regular DVD's also . No need for 2 units doing the same thing.

Just to jump on the Onkyo bandwagon, I was looking at this system

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4124855

It got some good reviews on the avs forums

To go along with my Vizio 47"

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=38

I was also thinking about a bose system but they're so expensive :(

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4190095 or

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4190096

I do have a $500 JR gift card so I can dream :D

My suggestion is dont skimp, even if it takes time to build. If you do you'll end up rebuying eveything. I bought an Onkyo similar to what HOF just linked. I have already replaced everything already except for the reciever, which I should do in the near future.

Personally i am looking at the Denon 3808ci, maybe Yamaha 3800

Go with a Denon or Onkyo receiver with multiple HDMI I/P's. And look for one that can decode DTS-HD and Dolby True HD.

Then upgrade your speakers when cash allows. Start off with a couple of bookshelf from Ascend or Paradigm for your front L/R and move them to the rear when you're ready to add on.

My suggestion is dont skimp, even if it takes time to build. If you do you'll end up rebuying eveything. I bought an Onkyo similar to what HOF just linked. I have already replaced everything already except for the reciever, which I should do in the near future.

I agree, I'm a component guy, but if you don't have the cash you sometimes have to cut the corners.

If you are just doing it to save a little and you do have the money, then it's not worth it buy the good stuff first. If you don't ever see yourself having the cash to go the mid to high end route it's the way to go.

Archived