Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How old were you when you moved out?

Guest sith lord

I understand the concept, but if you told me I could never have neopolitan pizza, buffalo chicken, or a qdoba burrito again, I'd kill myself right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone or advocating that everyone needs to eat and exercise like I do. To each his own. However, don't complain about being overweight or not looking or feeling good unless you're willing to make the sacrifices along with putting in the time and effort. Otherwise I'm apt to believe that you're just a whiner.

Same here. The trick is to not eat them all the time.

Moderation is the key.

Don't plow through buffalo wings every week. (Note, this rule is waived during football season.)

Don't have pizza for lunch every day.

Don't eat a bag of Doritios before dinner.

Only have fast food once a month.

I do all of these things. I would be even better if I cut down my portions. tonights dinner is chicken breasts on the foreman grill. I would not be surprised if I ate all of it, which is a little more than a pound.....

That pretty much exactly describes how I go through life; waiting as long as I can force myself to before giving in and eating a bunch of wings or a burrito the size of a child. In general I've gotten better about my portion sizes too. I've noticed that I can eat less and get full now less than I could even a year ago. Also, I'm lucky because I happen to find a lot of very healthy foods to be delicious too, like mediterranian stuff (hummus, tabouli, couscous, falafel, pita etc.) and sushi, mercury notwithstanding.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone or advocating that everyone needs to eat and exercise like I do. To each his own. However, don't complain about being overweight or not looking or feeling good unless you're willing to make the sacrifices along with putting in the time and effort. Otherwise I'm apt to believe that you're just a whiner.

Fair enough, I would probably agree with that sentiment in general.

I moved out the first time when I was 19, moved back in about 4 months later because the people I was living with decided to up and sell their house one day. Lived back at home for about 6 months then was accepted to ODU. I have a house now with 2 roomates, so rent is only 400 a month. I am still completely finacially dependent on my father, though. I am too focused on my dream of becoming a Marine Biologist to get a job and screw my grades up.

I don't know if I am going to stay at this house for next year or find a nicer place north of campus with some new roomates. I do enjoy the roomate thing.

I don't have the luxory of living at home in college because there is no university close to Culpeper that would be convenient to commute to and the only schools in the state with Marine Biology program worth a damn are Hampton University and ODU.

Don't pretend to know what everyone who has a weight problem goes through and their causes or I just see you as someone who thinks they know it all when they don't really have a clue.

Tom,

I'm a big man. I don't know what your stats are but mine are 6'5" about 420. That's too damn big. I'm always tired, I pull muscles in my side and back all of the time and I have a bad right ankle to boot. I carry my weight as well as I can for as much as I have on me. When you've had the mentality to eat whatever you want, whenever you want, it's difficult to just stop that mindset and go with a new one. Eating less and changing your diet is difficult. It's not like smoking or shopping too much. Everyone has to eat.

Anyway, about four years ago, I got fed up and decided to get onto Weight Watchers. I did the point system. For my body weight, I was allowed 35 points a day. Each point rounds to about 50 calories, so I consumed 1750 calories a day. I still drank diet soda and I did not incorporate an exercise regimen. In three months, I lost 35 pounds. I could eat whatever I wanted but it was all about portion control. I could eat 7 points worth of potato chips, or I could have a big baked potato with butter and light sour cream. Which one would you take? That's right, the potato. I was able to come home from work, have a nice piece of baked skinless chicken, a baked potato with light sour cream and butter and a huge side of broccoli. I'm talking about a big ol' plate of food. I would only use maybe 12 points of my total 35.

However, I lost motivation and got lazy and just quit. I've tried getting back onto the wagon numerous times with this diet but I keep falling off. The diet seriously works. I guarantee that if I had just started walking more and stopped drinking soda (soda retains water) and stuck to juice and water, I would've lost even more.

I'm to the point where if I eat almost anything other than breakfast, lunch and dinner I am guilty. Even if it's friggin' celery, I think to myself, "You fat piece of crap, even though it's celery, are you really that hungry, Tubby?"

When I started that diet, I found a website where if you put in your weight, it would tell you how many calories per day you needed to maintain your current weight. At the time, it was 5500 calories per day. I cut that down to 1750, which is almost 2/3rds less than what is required. Supposedly, for every 500 calories you cut out of your diet on a daily basis, you can lose that many pounds per week. If you needed 3000 to maintain your current weight and you dropped it down to 2000, you should be able to lose 2lbs. per week.

I desperately need to get back onto the point system from Weight Watchers. It seriously works! Unlike other diets, you can eat ANYTHING. You just have to factor in how many points the item is and if it's worth it. Weight Watchers isn't a fad, it's a lifestyle changing program. You learn portion control which is really important for us big boys. We don't like being hungry EVER, which is why we're big in the first place. I found that chugging a big glass of water when I was hungry really helped curb my appetite.

Tom, I have a points calculator program that I would gladly send you to help calculate how much a serving for a portion of food is that you'd like to eat. The more fiber in a portion, the less points it is. There are even configurable programs that allow you to bank points and save them for later. When I did this years ago, my wife and I would save points all week long so that on Saturday we could go to Burger King and get Whoppers. I'm telling you, a Whopper tastes amazing when you work for it.

']Now we agree! But how the he!! do I do that????

Earlier this year my younger sister died. I was not particularly close to her over the last 15 years but I found myself beginning on a downward spiral with the news of her death. At first' date=' I tried to cope on my own but soon found I was incapable of doing so. I couldn't concentrate at work and found myself

having extreme emotional swings.

What does all of this have to do with the price of coffee in Jamaica?

I never would have thought in my lifetime that I would ever have any use for therapy. But the depression I was suffering felt like a deep black hole out of which I couldn't climb. I had deadlines at work I couldn't meet and even had thoughts of suicide. So finally, out of desperation, I enlisted the help of my company's Employee Assistance Program and they referred me to a therapist who specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

In short, I am doing far better these days. What I learned in part, was that my sister's death wasn't the sole cause of my depression, but simply one more traumatic event in my life. It's the culmination of events and the suppression of dealing with those events that can cause changes in brain chemistry that lead to depression. CBT is a method of therapy that has a proven track record of helping people in far less time than traditional therapy.

The following is a quote from an article that I found here: [url']http://www.familyresource.com/health/weight-management/cognitive-therapy-and-weight-loss[/url]

Self-defeating thinking and behavior tend to perpetuate the cycle of unhealthy eating. No amount of exercise or nutritional support will address the need for individuals to learn to rationally respond to their maladaptive eating patterns. Unhealthy eaters are typically overwhelmed by self-blame. A downward spiral is set in motion by the way in which the person views himself. Unhealthy eaters will label themselves as being "fat" (whether they are or not), and will chastise themselves for not making progress in losing weight. Viewing oneself as an "overweight louse" is not an effective way of motivating oneself for change. In fact, browbeating oneself for being less than perfect only intensifies the cycle of unhealthy eating abuse. Self-blame is a form of tyranny which keeps one stuck in the midst of the problem.

Cognitive therapy teaches the unhealthy eater to quit the self-blame, realistically assess the problem, and to set practical goals for change. The therapist may say, "Does eating too much make you a horrible person? In the scheme of things, how awful was it that you ate that extra helping of cake?" Realistic appraisal follows, "what do you think you can do next time to make sure that you don't overdo it?"

It's a suggestion Tom - but one I highly recommend from personal experience.

Drakkhim,

I plan on going back to weight watchers. I've done that a few times myself. I am 5'9" and about 390 pounds.

The point system has changed. At my weight, I would now be allowed 52 points. You'd be allowed even more.

I like weight watchers but I get tired of counting points after a while. It does work well for me though.

We both need to get back there asap bro.

Im 23, and actaully was going to move to Canton-Baltimore here in the next month. Over the past week I actaully have decided against it. My buddy who is bilingual got hooked up with a job down in Miami. Eventually he will be making tons of cash (I actaully got this dude the job), but anyway he said I could come along. So, instead of moving down to Canton where are hte beatiful woman are I will instead wait 8 months and rough it out with the rents until the day comes that we are rolling down to South Beach.

I honestly can't wait even thought my parents are great people.

Counting points can be a pain in the ass. But the constant point counting goes along with your portion control. After so long, you can just look at an items nutritional information and make a very close guesstimate on the amount of points it is. I'm going to the grocery store tonight and plan on buying all good foods. No junk food will be entering my home. I have to get back onto WW and lose this weight. I'd love to get down to a slim, trim 275 or so. :)

Anyway...

I didn't move out until I was almost 22. I grew up in a small town with not many jobs so my girlfriend and I decided to move about an hour down the road into Ohio with some friends of ours. There were seven of us sharing a home. Us, two friends, and a couple with a two year old kid. Let's just say it didn't work out. Two years later in September of 2004, Uncle Ivan hit and caused the Ohio River to flood and we got wiped out. Had to move back in with my grandparents until we got back onto our feet.

• 1 month later...

Archived