Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DT Kentwan Balmer (UNC)

voicekiller

Lets start talking about the draft and players that would fit in with the Redskins.

Since Vinny was saying he wants a DT I figured lets look at DT Kentwan Balmer (UNC).

I feel he would be a great pick at 21. He is one of the best DT in the draft and has great upside.

After the combine I will update this thread with his stats from the combine, but he is one of the players i feel we should look at.

Here are some websites for extra information on him.

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/balmer_kentwan00.html

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=33362

http://www.athlonsports.com/pro-football/12986/2008-mock-draft/?action=view_player&pk=156

The guy seems to get into the backfield often.

I think a DT would improve our chances of winning next year as an interior pass rush would provide more of a compliment to Carter than an opposite edge rush but we do need someone to replace Daniels eventually. I'm torn on the issue here, seems like there are some high end DTs in the draft and then some 4th to 6th rounders so I'm not sure that if we pass on him we'd be able to pick someone else up in the second or third rounds. We really just need a guy who can pentrate, period. Whether he's a tackle or an end doesn't make any difference to me.

The guy seems to get into the backfield often.

I think a DT would improve our chances of winning next year as an interior pass rush would provide more of a compliment to Carter than an opposite edge rush but we do need someone to replace Daniels eventually. I'm torn on the issue here, seems like there are some high end DTs in the draft and then some 4th to 6th rounders so I'm not sure that if we pass on him we'd be able to pick someone else up in the second or third rounds. We really just need a guy who can pentrate, period. Whether he's a tackle or an end doesn't make any difference to me.

Ya the kid has a great motor and gets into the backfield often...

I checked out the links but I'm not that impressed. I'd be happy to have him, but mostly b/c I want bonafide talent on the D-line.

Seven sacks over four years doesn't seem that stellar. Open to being sold here, but I want production over potential. The combine is a hype machine and distorts the process, IMO.

Looking at all the D-line prospects I think we have to be happy that we can still land some great talent at the #21 slot (I still haven't figured how we didn't get the #20 slot instead of Tampa Bay, so if anyone wants to fill me on this I would be stoked).

Back to the point, I think we can get some great talent whether we go w/a DT or a DE but I still think Snyder and the lap dog may opt for a WR. Either way, I'm just excited that we actually have (almost) all of our picks.

....I think we can get some great talent whether we go w/a DT or a DE but I still think Snyder and the lap dog may opt for a WR.

Lap dog? :laugh:

If Zorn truly does have a lot of input into this draft then the pick could very well be a WR.

Balmer should be gone by our #21 pick. Saying that I think if we stay at #21 the pick will be WR, and our 2nd round pick could be used for the DT. Trevor Laws from Notre Dame and Dre Morre from Maryland should both be available.

Balmer might be gone but you never know. NFLDraftcountdown's position analysis has him rated as a second round pick but because of the limited number of top DTs he is projected to be picked at #20 by Tampa. Those projections aren't worth a whole lot but they are fun anyway. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/kentwanbalmer.html

Balmer should be gone by our #21 pick. Saying that I think if we stay at #21 the pick will be WR, and our 2nd round pick could be used for the DT. Trevor Laws from Notre Dame and Dre Morre from Maryland should both be available.

The same argument people have made about picking up Justin Smith as a FA apply here...

If these two guys were on crummy defenses, why would we want them? Sorry, but I don't want ANYBODY off of Notre Dame's defense!

I don't think Balmer is as good as the DT he played beside, a freshman named Marvin Austin...

]']I think we'll end up going offense for Zorn. Whatever he thinks is prudent for the success of his Offense' date=' we'll get it. If its a possession receiver, then perhaps Sweed or Kelly. If its a mobile Guard who runs like hell, than hopefully its Albert.[/quote']you don't think we could get Albert in round 2?

you don't think we could get Albert in round 2?

He's being rated as the Top Guard, its a stretch if he's there at 2. and then after him a bunch of mid tier guards will be gone before we pick in the 3rd. It's not so much that Hey he won't be there, its jsut there is really only one guy at Guard that is 1st Round capable that I've seen and its Albert. Plus in a pinch he could slide in at Tackle if we need him to. After seeing some more film on him and reembering the two UVA games I saw, I think he should be our 1st Pick. It would throw EVERYONE for a loop :D. THere are fewere top 3 Round Guards then there are DE/DT anyways.

Archived