Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DT Kentwan Balmer (UNC)

voicekiller

He's a complete sleeper who isn't getting much attention. Keep him on the downlow haha so maybe he will fall to us. Great talent, but I really think he will be nasty or a bust. UNC DLinemen usually are (Jullius Peppers, Ryan Sims)

I wish he was still a sleeper, unfortunately mel kiper had him in the top 12 on his big board today...I know the big board isn't the be-all and end-all or even close to that really, but it will at least open a few GMs eyes if they aren't already open to him

Looking at all the D-line prospects I think we have to be happy that we can still land some great talent at the #21 slot (I still haven't figured how we didn't get the #20 slot instead of Tampa Bay, so if anyone wants to fill me on this I would be stoked).

Back to the point, I think we can get some great talent whether we go w/a DT or a DE but I still think Snyder and the lap dog may opt for a WR. Either way, I'm just excited that we actually have (almost) all of our picks.

I was confused too since they beat us head to head. However the first tie breaker was strength of schedule. Their schedule was easier so theoretically they were worse than us because they got the same number of wins even though they had an easier schedule.

So they get 20. Seems like first tie breaker should be head to head though but its not.

Just shows you what some coaching can do to a player...Blake comes in to coach the D-line at Chapel Hill and makes this guy a stud...I wouldn't be worried about a 1 year wonder with him...More like a late bloomer who had some coaching...That being said, he won't make it to #21

eh, you never know...never say never

I love Kentwan balmer considering i love the tarheels i guess that could explain why. But Kentwan is a phenominal athlete. He is good at both run stopping and pass rushing. Some complain about his sack totals but some minor injuries had him sit some games in his junior and sophomore year. He has the perfect size and strength for a DT with a little bit of speed. The guy is a great player and i believe he will tranfser that into the NFL.

Other suggestions the redskins should look at durrell mapp in the late rounds like 6th or 7th.. idky the guy has been over looked so much. he was in the top 5 in the nation in tackles and has great speed and is a devastating hitter. Im willing to bet that with the chance he would be a great player

funny because he could be gone before 21, or he could be a second round pick...all depends on who you ask

We'll see what he looks like at the combine. To me he's another ACC player that looked really good against a sub-par talent pool.

Unless he is a workout warrior in Indy, he's an early to mid 2nd rounder.

I'll preface this by saying I'm an nc state fan, but I really don't know what there is to like about this guy. One year of production. He had 16 tackles the previous year! I don't know why this guy gets all the hype while another even more productive teammate of his, hilee taylor, gets none. Balmer should be, at best, a 2nd round pick. He's undersized and probably better suited to be a 3-4 end. I would be disappointed if this team wasted the 21st overall pick on him.

I'll preface this by saying I'm an nc state fan, but I really don't know what there is to like about this guy. One year of production. He had 16 tackles the previous year! I don't know why this guy gets all the hype while another even more productive teammate of his, hilee taylor, gets none. Balmer should be, at best, a 2nd round pick. He's undersized and probably better suited to be a 3-4 end. I would be disappointed if this team wasted the 21st overall pick on him.

Ok i understand you may not like him, but how in the bloody hell is he undersized? He is 6-5 - 300 pounds...what you want him to be 7 feet tall?

last weigh in i saw for this year was that he was 308...that is not undersized in the least

Ok, you're right, that was his senior bowl weigh in. Regardless he didn't show anything at the senior bowl due to injury; I would like to know how he plays at a heavier weight. His playing weight was lower, atleast 15 pounds lower.

Ok, you're right, that was his senior bowl weigh in. Regardless he didn't show anything at the senior bowl due to injury; I would like to know how he plays at a heavier weight. His playing weight was lower, atleast 15 pounds lower.

well, he should be at the combine this weekend so lets see how he does there

Ok i understand you may not like him, but how in the bloody hell is he undersized? He is 6-5 - 300 pounds...what you want him to be 7 feet tall?

That's his college weight, which are often over inflated.

He's probably going to be 6'4" and 285 lbs when weighed at the combine.

well, he should be at the combine this weekend so lets see how he does there

He has an undisclosed injury, depending on the severity he may not even do anything at the combine. I wouldn't mind drafting this kid, but not with our first rounder. He was a good player this year (and only this year) but I just don't see him as worth a first round pick and I'm skeptical if he's even worth a second. Do we remember Jamaal Anderson last year? He had a monster junior year and look at his rookie season. 0 sacks.

We say we need a pass rushing dt but balmer doesn't fit that bill. He had only 3.5 sacks last year. One tweener I like there is a guy called Lionel Dotson, supposedly going in the 5th. He's built similar to Justin Tuck and could probably move all around the defensive line. Dotson actually got some sacks against good offensive lines, which is another qualm I have with balmer. Look at who Balmer got his sacks against. When the best pass protecting offensive line you get a sack against is ECU I don't know if that says much.

He has an undisclosed injury, depending on the severity he may not even do anything at the combine. I wouldn't mind drafting this kid, but not with our first rounder. He was a good player this year (and only this year) but I just don't see him as worth a first round pick and I'm skeptical if he's even worth a second. Do we remember Jamaal Anderson last year? He had a monster junior year and look at his rookie season. 0 sacks.

We say we need a pass rushing dt but balmer doesn't fit that bill. He had only 3.5 sacks last year. One tweener I like there is a guy called Lionel Dotson, supposedly going in the 5th. He's built similar to Justin Tuck and could probably move all around the defensive line. Dotson actually got some sacks against good offensive lines, which is another qualm I have with balmer. Look at who Balmer got his sacks against. When the best pass protecting offensive line you get a sack against is ECU I don't know if that says much.

ya i am hoping his undisclosed injury pushes him back to round 2 and we can get him there...i am still undecided on who i want in round 1 but i am leaning towards the DL or OL...we need to start buillding from the inside out...our lines need some help

YOu can't compare Balmer to Anderson. Anderson had not played Dline much till his rookie season as I recall. So I can forgive the lack of sacks that year.

NO NO NO NO! Balmer has first round bust written all over him, we all have guys from our favorite college that we'd love to see on the 'Skins but UNC is terrible, and Balmer has produced one good year. This guy has work out warrior and first round bust written all over him, it will be Bobby Wilson all over again

While I like Balmer, I'd rather see us go for an end. With a better pass-rushing end drawing more attention from O-Lineman, Montgomery and Golston should be freed up some to provide a better inside push. I'd like to see our young tackles have that opportunity. So, if Merling is available at 21, I'd take him. The great thing about Merling is that he has played both end and tackle at Clem(p)son. Versatility is always great (e.g. Tuck, Vrabel).

Archived