Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jesus vs. Horus

Helter_Skelter

Lately, I have been studying politics and the different ideologies that come with the subject before I go to college in the fall, and have not bothered much with religion. I'm not really a religious person, and I don't know much about any religion besides Islam (read alot about Islam to get a better understanding of the middle east and current events). So I decided a couple days ago to take a break from that and learn a little about Jesus.

I read about the story of Jesus' life and all the usual things that come with it. Then I come across the story of Horus, an ancient Egyptian God. I'll let the tables at this link show the similiarities:www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa5.htm

Is it possible that the story of Jesus is just a different version of the story of Horus?

Is it possible that the story of Jesus is just a different version of the story of Horus?

If you do a bit more study about the history of religion you'll find many, many parallels between the various mythologies. Elements of the story of Jesus as we understand it today can also be found in numerous other religions, many predating Christianity.

Yeah, the story of Jesus is not near as unique as Christians would like to beleive. His story is mirrored in countless other faiths, and texts as noted above. I personally believe that higher beings similiar to Jesus & Buddha have indeed incarnated, but I can't believe the Bibles version of events(nor any religious text, since I believe that these texts were edited by men with agendas at play) given the correlation with other texts. There so much more to life than we know.

Yeah, the story of Jesus is not near as unique as Christians would like to beleive. His story is mirrored in countless other faiths, and texts as noted above. I personally believe that higher beings similiar to Jesus & Buddha have indeed incarnated, but I can't believe the Bibles version of events(nor any religious text, since I believe that these texts were edited by men with agendas at play) given the correlation with other texts. There so much more to life than we know.

I still remember when you were straight and a Jesus troll.

Enlightenment must have been a *****.

Yeah the similarities are astounding. but some of the similarities can be explained by mis-translations, mis-interpretations, and a manipulation of a tale to make one religion more palatable. You look into it, and the births of Horus and Jesus being dec. 25th may not be accurate. Jesus was probably born at a different time. Some actually say closer to Springtime. But because the story has been passed around so many times before it was written, we'll never know.

And yes, all religions are basically the same. You can make comparisons and similarities to almost all of em. You can even make a case of Christianity (1 God) to Roman/Greek mythology (several Gods).

Yeah the similarities are astounding. but some of the similarities can be explained by mis-translations, mis-interpretations, and a manipulation of a tale to make one religion more palatable. You look into it, and the births of Horus and Jesus being dec. 25th may not be accurate. Jesus was probably born at a different time. Some actually say closer to Springtime. But because the story has been passed around so many times before it was written, we'll never know.

And yes, all religions are basically the same. You can make comparisons and similarities to almost all of em. You can even make a case of Christianity (1 God) to Roman/Greek mythology (several Gods).

Yeah his birthday is celebrated on the 25th of December, but I think his real birthday is in October. I may be wrong about that though. Somebody will correct me, Im sure :)

Yeah his birthday is celebrated on the 25th of December, but I think his real birthday is in October. I may be wrong about that though. Somebody will correct me, Im sure :)

You are right...

Jesus Birthday was placed in december to compete with a bigger pagan holiday. The same for pretty much all of the major Christian holidays

X-mas - Winter Solstice/Mithra

Valentines Day - Lupercalia festival

Halloween - Samhain

Even the practices on these holidays mirror the original pagan holidays.

It is really hard for anyone to come up with anything original to Christianity if even Jesus came from somewhere else.

The Emperor Justinian moved the date to Dec. 25 in the 4th century to coincide with the birthdate of Mithras and (erroneously) what was believed to be the winter solstice. Early Christians celebrated his birth on April 20th (I think that was the date), and many believers correctly accused Justinian of selling out to pagans to make the religion more palatable.

The Emperor Justinian moved the date to Dec. 25 in the 4th century to coincide with the birthdate of Mithras and (erroneously) what was believed to be the winter solstice. Early Christians celebrated his birth on April 20th (I think that was the date), and many believers correctly accused Justinian of selling out to pagans to make the religion more palatable.

I thought it was Constantine who moved the date, as well as having the Bible as we know it compiled and whatnot. However, your post is correct, but there was also another reason. The Empire was already showing weakness, and Mithras was a very popular figure/religion at the time, including among soldiers. So he wanted to gain the soldiers support as well by selling out to the pagans.

To Helter Skelter, look up the story of Mithras to find a lot of the same elements as well. Zoraster in general just has many of the same elements as well.

Constantine was responsible for the Bible and the concept of the Trinity as laid out in the Nicene creed, but Justinian is the one who moved the date.

I agree Jesus probably has more in common with Mithras than with Horus.

Likewise, compare Noah with the Epic of Gilgamesh, or the story of Moses' birth with the legend of Sargon.

You are right...

Jesus Birthday was placed in december to compete with a bigger pagan holiday. The same for pretty much all of the major Christian holidays

X-mas - Winter Solstice/Mithra

Sorry friend, but you are wrong. The pagan holiday was Saturnalia. And Christian leaders in the Western Roman Empire decided to celebrate the Christ Mass on the 25th because all of the Christian citizens of Rome were already off of work for the national holiday.

Valentines Day - Lupercalia festival

Halloween - Samhain

Even the practices on these holidays mirror the original pagan holidays.

It is really hard for anyone to come up with anything original to Christianity if even Jesus came from somewhere else.

I don't know about Valentines (never researched it) but Halloween is not Christian. Its pagan. Now, the day after is a Roman Catholic holiday called All Saints Day.

And Samhain is the Autumnal Equinox I believe, not Halloween.

I thought it was Constantine who moved the date, as well as having the Bible as we know it compiled and whatnot. However, your post is correct, but there was also another reason.
How many times does this stuff have to be refuted. Constantine DID NOT write the bible. He called the Council of Bishops together and they formally affirmed what was already accepted and common knowledge about the Scriptures.

The Empire was already showing weakness, and Mithras was a very popular figure/religion at the time, including among soldiers. So he wanted to gain the soldiers support as well by selling out to the pagans.
See above about Saturnalia.

Christianity is based an act that occurred which is the resurrection. All other religions are based on a prophet's writings. This is what makes Christianity so different. Christ fulfilled every Old Testament prophecy which were prophesied hundreds of years prior to his birth. The odds of any one man completing all of these prophesies is over 1,000,000,000,000:1. You decide!

Christianity is based an act that occurred which is the resurrection. All other religions are based on a prophet's writings. This is what makes Christianity so different. Christ fulfilled every Old Testament prophecy which were prophesied hundreds of years prior to his birth. The odds of any one man completing all of these prophesies is over 1,000,000,000,000:1. You decide!
The argument from prophetic fulfillment is not a very effective one. Especially considering that most people these days don't accept the OT prophecies as inspired. :2cents:

It wasn't in October. As someone else posted I believe, it was in April.

The Gospel birth narrative of Luke says "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night."

It is hard to imagine that shepherds would have had their flocks out "in the fields" in the dead of winter in Palestine. During the winter the sheep would have been penned up, not to mention the shepherds would have been freezing their derriers off as well.:2cents:

Sorry friend, but you are wrong. The pagan holiday was Saturnalia. And Christian leaders in the Western Roman Empire decided to celebrate the Christ Mass on the 25th because all of the Christian citizens of Rome were already off of work for the national holiday.

Proof please....from a credible (non-biased) source

I don't know about Valentines (never researched it) but Halloween is not Christian. Its pagan. Now, the day after is a Roman Catholic holiday called All Saints Day.

Link

And Samhain is the Autumnal Equinox I believe, not Halloween.

The point being Christianity is claiming more stuff that is not theirs.

Link

By the 800s, the influence of Christianity had spread into Celtic lands. In the seventh century, Pope Boniface IV designated November 1 All Saints' Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. The celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints' Day) and the night before it, the night of Samhain, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween. Even later, in A.D. 1000, the church would make November 2 All Souls' Day, a day to honor the dead. It was celebrated similarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the eve of All Saints', All Saints', and All Souls', were called Hallowmas.

How many times does this stuff have to be refuted. Constantine DID NOT write the bible. He called the Council of Bishops together and they formally affirmed what was already accepted and common knowledge about the Scriptures. See above about Saturnalia.

Just because you refute something does not make your argument true. Infact I would say the evidence is still heavy against you.:D

Archived