Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the NFC no longer a joke?

Bacon

All season long, the NFC has been openly bashed and treated as the inferior conference. Perhaps, at the time, this was warranted. The Cowboys (LOL) were the class, and the Rams represented the bottom of the barrel. Now, months later, the Giants made a clean sweep of everyone, and the NFC thoroughly pounded on the AFC in the pro bowl game.

Should the NFC continue to be treated as an inferior conference, or has that been broken over the past couple of weeks?

You know, while the NFC hasn't been the stronger conference lately, I wouldn't say it has been a joke.

I think the AFC has very poor and mediocre teams, just as the NFC does. In fact, I think the biggest difference is that the handful of elite teams in the AFC are better than the ones in the NFC. I think looking at the other teams after the elite ones, that both conferences aren't that far apart. Of course this is just my perceived opinion. Besides, the Giants did beat the 18-0 Pats in the Superbowl, so maybe the AFC is a little overrated? Since 2000, the turn of the century, AFC has won most of the Superbowls ( 5 of 8) but 3 of those were the Pats, who won all 3 by a field goal each.

In any case, I'm sure a shift will happen soon, if it isn't happening already. History shows that one conference can't remain dominant indefinitely.

Should the NFC continue to be treated as an inferior conference, or has that been broken over the past couple of weeks?

It's getting closer, but I still think the AFC is better, and here's why:

AFC QBs:

Rothlisberger

Brady

Manning

Palmer

Rivers

Garard

NFC QBs:

Romo sits to pee

McNabb

Manning

Brees

Hasselbeck

Favre

I don't think it's a coincidence that Romo sits to pee's emergence, Favre's new-found youth and Manning realizing he didn't HAVE to throw to the other team, upped the level of play within the NFC. Up until this year, you essentially had Hasselbeck, Brees, Bulger and McNabb that were ProBowl QBs and that's about it.

And Philly never winning it all doesn't effect it at all?

Philly made it to the SB...the pukes haven't made it to then next round of the playoffs in a dozen years.

I'd rate the Eagles' record better than the pukes' in the last dozen years.

Firstly, the pro bowl means nothing, so that cant be used in evaluating the 2 conferences. I still think the AFC is a superior conference. The Giants may have beaten the Patriots, but they are not a better team than them. The Colts are also a better team. I think the Giants, Cowboys and Packers are on par with teams like Jacksonville and San Diego. The middle teams are about the same, it's the top end is where they are seperated.

The AFC is way overrated. People have told me things like "any NFC team would lose in the first round in the AFC." The AFC isn't that much better than the NFC. It's a little better as of now, but it looks like the NFC is going to be a beast next year with the young Packers, Bucs getting Cadi back, and of course the NFC East looks to be the best division with Mcnabb coming back healthy.

There's also a bunch of teams that were expected to be good this season, but underperformed (ex: Rams), so we'll see about that.

The AFC is way overrated. People have told me things like "any NFC team would lose in the first round in the AFC." The AFC isn't that much better than the NFC. It's a little better as of now, but it looks like the NFC is going to be a beast next year with the young Packers, Bucs getting Cadi back, and of course the NFC East looks to be the best division with Mcnabb coming back healthy.

NFC Seeds (in order)

1. Cowboys

2. Green Bay

3. Seattle

4. Tampa Bay

5. New York

6. Washington

AFC

1. New England

2. Indianapolis

3. San Diego

4. Pittsburgh

5. Jacksonville

6. Tennessee

I consider Tennessee equal to Washington, but on paper, the afc's top five are much better than the NFCs. Yes, NY had a magical run, but against a healthy Brady I think it would have ended in the SB. As to the #1 and #2 seeds in the NFC, I'm still shocked, even as well as NY was playing, that they both lost at home. Almost impossible to believe. And when Brett retires, GB will become average unless Rogers (sp?) is phenomenal off the bench.

pf

NFC Seeds (in order)

1. Cowboys

2. Green Bay

3. Seattle

4. Tampa Bay

5. New York

6. Washington

AFC

1. New England

2. Indianapolis

3. San Diego

4. Pittsburgh

5. Jacksonville

6. Tennessee

I consider Tennessee equal to Washington, but on paper, the afc's top five are much better than the NFCs. Yes, NY had a magical run, but against a healthy Brady I think it would have ended in the SB. As to the #1 and #2 seeds in the NFC, I'm still shocked, even as well as NY was playing, that they both lost at home. Almost impossible to believe. And when Brett retires, GB will become average unless Rogers (sp?) is phenomenal off the bench.

pf

I think your QB analysis in your previous post was more accurate.

The fact is, NE and Indy are still in a class of their own. Why? Brady and Manning. You put those two QBs in the NFC and the balance of power shifts over with them.

You take those two away and I'm confident that the Redskins can go toe-to-toe with any team in that conference. The same goes for all the NFC East teams, and several other NFC teams. The disparity stems from those two QBs being far beyond what other teams have playing that vital position.

And it still wasn't enough for either to claim a championship this season. So, yeah, AFC supremacy is a myth.

I don't think there is a team in the NFC that is capable of winning any division in the AFC.

Sorry, AFC North isn't that spectacular and anyone can knock off the Chargers as long as Norv is around. Indy and NE are special.

But anyway, I think the NFC has closed the gap. I don't think that the NFC is so terrible, it's just so even. The AFC has more Great teams and more Bad teams. Not alot in the middle.

Archived