Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official: Does Jim Zorn make you Zorny or angry poll?

Art

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Hello all. Long time Uk skins fan (since 82) when Channel Four first started showing American Football in the UK.

Just thought I'd add my bit to the debate. This appointment leaves me feeling a little nervous I have to admit. Of course I want Zorn to succeed, we all do and it's not unknown for a positional coach to make a smooth transition to HC, without serving as a co-ordinator first.

What makes me nervous is that Zorn was on no-ones radar as potential HC material. Two weeks ago he was an untried OC, now he's our HC. That's quite a leap. He mnay be a new face, but he's hardly a young up and coming coach, he's 54, never served time during the regular season as an OC.

I don't know if this is an insanely bold move, or simply a by-product of no-one else actually wanting the job, but he's going to have to adjust and learn at an insane rate for this to have a chance at working.

Synder has to give Zorn time (at least 3 seasons) for this to work. I fully expect next season to see a down turn in results and honestly think we'll do well to get to 8-8. Zorn's going to be learning and the players have to get to grips with new offensive and defensive schemes. Trying to be optimisitc, but right now, I'm more than a little nervous about next season.

Hello all. Long time Uk skins fan (since 82) when Channel Four first started showing American Football in the UK.

Just thought I'd add my bit to the debate. This appointment leaves me feeling a little nervous I have to admit. Of course I want Zorn to succeed, we all do and it's not unknown for a positional coach to make a smooth transition to HC, without serving as a co-ordinator first.

What makes me nervous is that Zorn was on no-ones radar as potential HC material. Two weeks ago he was an untried OC, now he's our HC. That's quite a leap. He mnay be a new face, but he's hardly a young up and coming coach, he's 54, never served time during the regular season as an OC.

I don't know if this is an insanely bold move, or simply a by-product of no-one else actually wanting the job, but he's going to have to adjust and learn at an insane rate for this to have a chance at working.

Synder has to give Zorn time (at least 3 seasons) for this to work. I fully expect next season to see a down turn in results and honestly think we'll do well to get to 8-8. Zorn's going to be learning and the players have to get to grips with new offensive and defensive schemes. Trying to be optimisitc, but right now, I'm more than a little nervous about next season.

Good to have you aboard, brother.

I think most of us share your concerns. They're valid. This is just one of those "gut instinct" moves that has more to do with the "feel" Snyder and Cerrato have for Zorn than any specific stats or other empirical evidence. As such we're left to wait, watch, hope their instincts were sound, and hope that the whole will end up being more than just the sum of the parts.

That and that Jason Campbell will continue to emerge as the franchise QB this organization has been starved for since before a great number of our fellow fans were done competing with daddy for mommy's attention. Ahem. If he IS that man, it will go a long way toward making Mr. Zorn, Mr. Snyder and everyone else associated with the Redskins look smart. :)

Young and adventurous. Kind of like out team in general. He'll be good for our QB.

Not picking on you or your post in particular, but I've noticed many descriptions of Zorn as "young". The dude is 54 years old. That isn't young. Now, he is young in terms of head coaching experience, and may be youthful in his zest and vigor. But, chronologically, he's probably one of the older coaches in the league.

I hope you're right about his beneficial effect on Campbell. :cheers:

I love it! The media can say that this proves the ineptitude of Snyderatto but I think this is EXACTLY what this team needs, an unknown. There will not be lofty expectations for Zorn because we really don't know what he can do as a Head Coach. With the track record of Holmgren's QB coaches it's a good hire.

We need to give this guy time. He should work out just fine. Remember NO ONE knew who Joe Jackson Gibbs was when he was hired by Cooke is '81.

Apparently yes, quite a few of us did. :)

Not sure what you're basing this opinion on, however. Gibbs, while on the short list of best football coaches of all time and a rock-solid individual, was flat out LOUSY at giving press conferences. He can deliver a scripted speech just fine, but when it comes to answering questions on the fly, he was a disaster. Maybe an intentional disaster to avoid having to actually answer anything, but a disaster nonetheless.

Perhaps you've forgotten.

Q: "Coach, can you tell us anything about the team's frame of mind heading into the Giants game? And specifically, how is Jason Campbell's knee going to impact what you can do offensively?"

Gibbs: "Well ... for us ... up here ... for us I think it was kind of like, "hey, we think we know what we want to be," and---and this is important, okay, because like I told Dan, how you feel about this is every bit as important as what it is you're trying to accomplish, okay?---so when it comes right down to it ... you kind of have to know what it is you're trying to accomplish before you can actually get there."

:cool:

Joe was never very articulate or forthcoming in press conferences. :laugh:

It didn't strike me that Zorn's press conference was a disaster, or that he was any less articulate than Joe. It was clear he was nervous, and he made a couple of gaffs, but I can forgive him that. It was a bit light on detail, particularly on the sort of relationship he wants with his OC (whoever that will be) and how he sees his new role in relation to play calling, but we'll see what happens.

I agree that there will be a learning curve for Zorn and Snyder needs to give him some time. That being said I disagree that there will be major changes to the defense. Blache has been here. Danny Smith is still here. In fact 75% of the coaches were retained. Despite the many panicked screams of the fans, there is some continuity. I'm just hoping Zorn gets Campbell up to speed, and the offense comes together quickly, although I think they also need a couple of players (big WR, replacement linemen) to achieve offensive success.

Though Zorn may or may not pan out, the manner by which the search was executed was and is embarrassingly sophomoric. Unless this is Snyder making Cerrato come up with Vinny's Last Stand, giving him every bit of rope to hang himself, I'm horribly confused.

Listening to Zorn talk about what he plans to do as a head coach scares me. He's going to hope someone else handles the daily fires? (this from the recorded ES interview on the Zorn introduction press conference thread) That sounds naive and under prepared. All Cerrato can say when he's asked what the fans should know about Zorn is that he's got the human qualities they were looking for in a candidate?

I don't want a "great" guy and great [quarterbacks] coach, as Blache kept repeating to us like a broken record. I look for the Skins to add someone who has proven they know how to win. I expect the Skins to conduct a search in a manner that doesn't turn off qualified candidates, and the way the coordinators were hired sends that expectation to heck. I expect them to be professional enough not to keep stringing along Plain Jane (first Greg Williams then Jim Fassel) while they're courting Beautious Betty (Cowher? Carroll?) before getting spurned and going home with Jane's little sister.

And I sure wish I hadn't heard someone predict that the Skins would simply hire whoever was the last person they interviewed and had it come true. It's easy to get caught up in the moment. I don't expect a billion dollar business' plans to be based on such a feeling.

Ugly. Embarrassing. Poorly run. Are they trying to put together a boys' club or a football team? It sounds like all the fans get is the best Yes Man for the job. It pains me.

Fassell was the personification of mediocrity.......See also; Norv Turner, Lindy Infante, Bruce Coslet and Dave Wannstedt. At least the hiring of Jim Zorn may have an upside to it, however he could also turn out to be what we expected Steve Spurrier to be;

a Head Coach who loses exciting games, because he doesn't believe in any kind of defense.......

Fassell was the personification of mediocrity.......See also; Norv Turner, Lindy Infante, Bruce Coslet and Dave Wannstedt. At least the hiring of Jim Zorn may have an upside to it, however he could also turn out to be what we expected Steve Spurrier to be; a Head Coach who loses exciting games, because he doesn't believe in any kind of defense......Besides the hiring of Greg Blache to defensive coordinator has me a little more concerned, than the hiring of Jim Zorn.

Guest SuicideShark

:applause: I have no problem admitting that maybe I don't give Snyder enough credit. I like the move and think Zorn has good potential. With the current staff (maninly Bugel) to guide him, he could become one of the greats. For now I'll take back all the mean things I said. Kudos Mr. Snyder.

:logo: Hail :logo:

I really hope this turns out to be a good move, but could Snyder possibly seeing Zorn as a 1 year stop gap until Cowher is available next season? It is definately risky since Zorn has never handled play calling in his coaching career. The guy doesn't even know our team colors! I'm on the fence for now but we'll have to see when the season starts.

Ugly. Embarrassing. Poorly run. Are they trying to put together a boys' club or a football team? It sounds like all the fans get is the best Yes Man for the job. It pains me.

How about a nice big cup of STFU! Are you serious - I am very pleased with Zorn as opposed to Fossil. It may be a bust but I'm willing to take this ride. If nothing else Zorn will develop Cambpell which is huge. Not to mention we have retained a majority of the coaching staff so we shouldn't suffer on the defensive end. I say - godd bless and go get em ZORN!

Archived