Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MVN - Why Brandon Lloyd Represents Everything that is Wrong with the Redskins

bedlamVR

An interesting tip bit about this that otherwise spot on article about what a mess the Lloyd situation is that has been discussed and discussed is the driver behind the Lloyd deal .

I was under the impression this may have been a Vinny move with his contacts at San Fran but apparently it was Saunders ...

http://mvn.com/nfl-redskins/2008/02/04/why-brandon-lloyd-repesents-everything-that-is-wrong-with-the-redskins-dnp-until-2408/

The rumored force behind this deal, as reported in 2007 by the Washington Post, was Al Saunders. Saunders thought that Lloyd had physical abilities that 99% of NFL receivers could only dream of. He thought he could get his offense to the next level, beyond where it was in Kansas City, if the Redskins could get their hands on Lloyd.[/Quote]

If the Archuletta deal was Williams as has been quite heavily reported then does it seem to anyone else that it was the coordinators who were running the show in 2006 as a trial year prior to Gibbs standing down at the end of 06 . Gibbs was extremely hands off at the start of 06 and it looks like there was a turning point mid season signified by the Gibbs tantrum and precipitated by the Tom Friend interview and poor results and it would explain why Gibbs coming off a season with a franchise record breaking running back and WR and a 2nd round playoff exit thought it necessary to get more offensive help.

Was 2006 a glimpse of what Williams Saunders would have been like if so we seriously dodged a bullet ...

HCs and coordinators often make these kinds of suggestions. Quite often -- including when the Skins had Beathard or Casserly -- the front office defers if they can work out compensation, etc ... Sometimes the front office says no. Gibbs had such power by the late 80s that he engineered Beathard's ouster. So, again, this isn't exactly unusual in the modern NFL, but the Redskins get singled out.

Of course Lloyd was Saunders idea. How could it be anyone else's?

I mean, I remember Al Saunders week after week not even putting Lloyd in a game and not throwing him any balls when he was. Whatever went wrong with Lloyd it had to be Saunders.

Had to be.

The point is

1. Lloyd wouldn't be here (possibly) if Saunders had not pushed for him ( rumors at the time had Gibbs looking at Joe Joe)

2. It was Saunders calling the plays if he doesn't call 85 yes it is his fault .

3. IF 85 doesn't make the plays ...and doesn't practice well either then does anybody deserve to be a starter on an NFL team ... ?

I don't care what people say he HAD his chances just because it was not shown in the full glare of the 60 minutes of game day the coaches knew a lot more of what was going on than anyone here . Every play he was in was taking opportunities away from someone else so yes you can ***** and whine that he was never given a shot... he had plenty ....he screwed up...Snyder screwed up with the contract but the fact Lloyds career is in tatters rests on no-one but Lloyd

Of course Lloyd was Saunders idea. How could it be anyone else's?

I mean, I remember Al Saunders week after week not even putting Lloyd in a game and not throwing him any balls when he was. Whatever went wrong with Lloyd it had to be Saunders.

Had to be.

Well, Lloyd was in game-after-game in 2006, at least until he lost his cool and his starting job. I wouldn't be surprised if Gibbs was the one that finally benched him.

BTW, JLC pretty much said the same thing in his year-end post-mortem on the 2006 season. While I didn't like that it solely slanted on some of the negative aspects of that season without talking about some of the good, his information seemed to be good.

Jason

I heard Saunders made the push to bring in Randle El, but didn't have anything to do with the Lloyd deal. In fact, the things he said about Lloyd were what I heard he said about El.

I think Lloyd the Skins way of thinking, bring as many people in and hope one performs. Also, why are coordinators making personnel decisions?

Course, one problem with this article is that it still claims that there was zero interest in Lloyd. How do they know? Fact is, most people don't know about deals that don't happen. It certainly doesn't make much sense that the Skins would give up two picks if they weren't competing against someone's offer.

I bet any team that did have interest back then isn't going to say so now.

Jason

Well guys, I am not defending Al Saunders, he should have seen the locker room trouble Lloyd caused in San Francisco, but the truth is he was right about Brandon Lloyd's abilities. Brandon Lloyd has all the physical tools to be an outstanding receiver, but he lacks dedication, work ethic, and motivation.

When you give someone their big payday without incentives, they do not have any reason to try to get better.

It certainly doesn't make much sense that the Skins would give up two picks if they weren't competing against someone's offer...assuming they had a competent player acquisition/evaluation plan that is.

Jason

There. Fixed that for ya. :)

Rather than another team expressing interest without word of it getting out, what's more likely is that the Forty Whiners knew who they were dealing with and made pie in the sky demands. Heck, this was The Redskins they were dealing with after all....DS always gets his man and all that. Therefore, they could simply ask for a somewhat fair deal (i.e. only having to give US a 7th to take him off their hands...I kid, actually a 7th rounder from us probably would have been considered "fair") or they could try to snooker us. Worst case scenario they'd have had to let a team cancer walk without getting a 7th round pick in return. But, IF we were dumb enough to bite, they could walk away with more than they used to draft him with in the first place. But surely nobody would be dumb enough to take that deal right? After all, this wasn't a player with the resume of say T.O. or Randy Moss. Not even Snyderatto would be that dumb, right? ...right?

Cue tape of Nolan and Forty Whiners GM laughing all the way to the (draft) bank.

I always felt that Saunders was absolutely behind bringing in Randle-El. It wouldn't be a shock if he was behind Lloyd, however the way Gibbs talked about him that offseason he seemed like a Gibbs guy. But, Lloyd said that the pitch he was given before the trade was that we were going to throw the ball all over the field. And that doesn't sound like a pitch that JJG would make.

As to seeing the field, that's a HC decision. Gibbs clearly made the depth chart on offense, and Lloyd has even said it was Gibbs who benched him and told him they weren't happy with his production.

I got the impression that Gibbs made the depth chart for Qb's and WR's. Bugel/Gibbs for OL. And CP for RB's. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, so this is the sort of thing that is supposed to be cleared up by Vinny's new title, but I don't buy that. Especially if we go the route of hiring a coach who is a CEO type and delegates the X's & O's to the coordinators.

A coach can push for anyone based on their previous track record - of which Lloyd's was actually quite good.

Its up to the player as to whether he wants to put forth that effort. It wasn't Saunders who told Lloyd to not battle for the interception Week 1. And you know what? 100 times out of a 100, if Saunders were to do it over again, he wouldnt go with Lloyd.

If you're trying to find an argument as to why Saunders/Williams wouldn't work, its definately not fair to look at Arch and Lloyd considering they were unstoppable with their previous teams.

Awfully convenient now that Saunders is gone...sort of like blaming Bill Casey if you ask me. It could be true though but I kind of doubt it.

Exactly..."Saunders wanted Lloyd". "GW disrespected Gibbs during his interview".

Wow, the Redskins PR department sure is working overtime these days huh?

Besides, bringing in Lloyd wasn't a mistake. Trading 2 picks for him and signing him to a monster contract before he even played a down here were the mistakes.

Archived