Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MVN - Why Brandon Lloyd Represents Everything that is Wrong with the Redskins

bedlamVR

Besides, bringing in Lloyd wasn't a mistake. Trading 2 picks for him and signing him to a monster contract before he even played a down here were the mistakes.

Yep. Saunders probably did say that he wanted him. I also bet that he had no idea the idiocy running the team would go and pay him more than 95% of the receivers in the league, lol. :laugh:

I heard Saunders made the push to bring in Randle El, but didn't have anything to do with the Lloyd deal. In fact, the things he said about Lloyd were what I heard he said about El.

I think Lloyd the Skins way of thinking, bring as many people in and hope one performs. Also, why are coordinators making personnel decisions?

BLUF: We need a GM or we are not going to make it. Hell you could hire Belichek or Caughlin and it still wouldn't matter. We're simply not going to make it. Players win Super Bowls not coaches, coaches help but you still have to play. But this is what happens when you don't have a GM...just look around.

Lloyd was insurance, in my opinion.

You remember the announcement of the trade for him as well as the acquisition of Antwaan Randle El came within hours of each other. We weren't getting any competition for B.Lloyd when we signed him. Randle El was another story, though. Everybody and his mother wanted Randle El (and for good reason)! I don't think the front office knew whether or not El would sign with us. So, Lloyd was strictly insurance. Our screw-up in 06 was the pay and starting Lloyd over Randle El. Randle El was sick this year, especially for a 5th year guy that played Quarterback until the NFL draft.

Lloyd was insurance, in my opinion.

You remember the announcement of the trade for him as well as the acquisition of Antwaan Randle El came within hours of each other. We weren't getting any competition for B.Lloyd when we signed him. Randle El was another story, though. Everybody and his mother wanted Randle El (and for good reason)! I don't think the front office knew whether or not El would sign with us. So, Lloyd was strictly insurance. Our screw-up in 06 was the pay and starting Lloyd over Randle El. Randle El was sick this year, especially for a 5th year guy that played Quarterback until the NFL draft.

Well, I think it was insurance for a different reason. We know how much we were hurting with injuries and such in 2005. Moss was basically all we had when Patten went down. Also, you never know who is going to be successful and who is going to be a bust. Both moves had risks associated with it.

Also, the team was pushing hard for a Superbowl run that year, so they wanted players who could contribute now.

One thing I do have to say about Lloyd is that I don't think anyone would have predicted that the worst case scenario for Lloyd would be as bad as 2006.

Jason

According to what you say, Brandon Lloyd represents everything that WAS wrong with the Skins. The coordinators are gone now.

Helps if you put a link to the article though.

Remains to be seen. Because at the core of this issue is the fact that there hasn't been a GM here for years. There is no centralized line of thought or long term plan in place for building a team.

The faces of the coaches have been changing regularly since 2000 and the player aquisitions have still remained highly questionable. There is a much deeper problem here than the two coordinators that are no longer here. This much is very easy to see.

Yep. Saunders probably did say that he wanted him. I also bet that he had no idea the idiocy running the team would go and pay him more than 95% of the receivers in the league, lol. :laugh:

This is the smartest and most accurate point I've seen. You're absolutely right. Even if Saunders wanted him, don't blame him because the FO grossly overpaid for him. The FO is responsible for this in every way. Coordinators just tell the FO who's good and who's not, who's fit and unfit for their systems. The FO is the one who analyzes values according to the salary cap and was terribly off.

An interesting tip bit about this that otherwise spot on article about what a mess the Lloyd situation is that has been discussed and discussed is the driver behind the Lloyd deal .

I was under the impression this may have been a Vinny move with his contacts at San Fran but apparently it was Saunders ...

http://mvn.com/nfl-redskins/2008/02/04/why-brandon-lloyd-repesents-everything-that-is-wrong-with-the-redskins-dnp-until-2408/

If the Archuletta deal was Williams as has been quite heavily reported then does it seem to anyone else that it was the coordinators who were running the show in 2006 as a trial year prior to Gibbs standing down at the end of 06 . Gibbs was extremely hands off at the start of 06 and it looks like there was a turning point mid season signified by the Gibbs tantrum and precipitated by the Tom Friend interview and poor results and it would explain why Gibbs coming off a season with a franchise record breaking running back and WR and a 2nd round playoff exit thought it necessary to get more offensive help.

Was 2006 a glimpse of what Williams Saunders would have been like if so we seriously dodged a bullet ...

I doubt that the assistant coaches had anything to do with the signing of Lloyd or Archuletta. They may have given their approval after the fact but I don't think they suggested to whomever that these free agents would turn the team arround. In hind sight, if they did they deserved to be replaced.

Brandon Lloyd in the same breath as Babe Ruth in bad moves? Thats kinda bringing this out a little more then it needs to be. The problem is not Lloyd he does have all the physical gifts, the problem was the older coaches who could not talk to younger players that have issues. Case in point Lavar, he was shafted here when he could not take to the defense. Instead of our veteran coaches sitting down with him to make him part of the team they did everything to let him know he was not a core player but just a part of the team. And thats something you cant do to someone who was young and one of the top 3 players at his position at the time. Really feel Lloyd can have a strong year next season if Zorn can relate to him, cause he already knows the west coast offense. Lets just hope Fassel lets him stay.

Archived