Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fassel's firing in New York

Stoox

Mooch or Fassel? I've been hemming and hawing for a week. Both have their good points and bad points.

Mooch: good record in San Fran, good with quarterbacks, familiarity with all the assistants in place, pure West-coast guy, media-savvy, looks like he would be congenial toward Snyder, good for a veteran team. A "hot" candidate.

But has never coached in the NFC East, stunk in Detroit with a young team, has never been to a Super Bowl and I wonder if he's not more concerned about a paycheque now that his contract is done. Has also had issues with the front office both places he's been (Donahue, Millen), leading one to believe he might not be able to co-exist with Skinny Vinny for long - they apparently didn't in San Fran.

Fassel: good with quarterbacks, dealt with the NY media on a daily basis for 7 years, took a team to the Super Bowl, has a good record in the NFC Beast, looks very hungry to coach again.

But couldn't get to the playoffs 2 years in a row, got destroyed by the Ravens in 2001 and was fired in mid-season in his last coordinators job. Not a "hot" candidate.

Then I came across Don Banks' write-up of Fassel's firing at the end of 2003:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/don_banks/12/17/giants.fassel/index.html

Some interesting comments:

"All told, New York has lost nine players to IR this season, and that doesn't even include quarterback Kerry Collins, tight end Shockey, receiver Ike Hilliard and left tackle Luke Petitgout, all of whom are out with injuries now but have not been shelved for the season."

"Toss in Barber's maddening penchant for fumbling, which grows worse by the season, and the Giants' offense became a turnover machine."

"(...) the players know he's going to be a tough guy to replace. The players really respected him. They loved him, because he was fair. And this place has had only two winning coaches leave here in the past 35 years (Parcells). So they know he can coach."

I'm actually beginning to lean toward Fassel - he might actually be the right way to go this time. It sounds like he had a tough deal in NY. I'll give him a pass for Baltimore, the same way you have to give Saunders a pass for the last 2 years in DC - both were meddled with by the head coach.

Thoughts?

Snyder's plan to let a fungus like Fassel grow on the fanbase is working to perfection.

In all honesty, I do not want Fassel because his biggest problem is the same as this team's biggest problem... Inconsistency. This team grows complacent too easily so you can't have a coach that has shown to do the same thing.

In all honesty, I do not want Fassel because his biggest problem is the same as this team's biggest problem... Inconsistency. This team grows complacent too easily so you can't have a coach that has shown to do the same thing.

Smart people learn from their mistakes - I'd bet Fassel will have learned from his in NY. Just strikes me as a little less arrogant than Mooch

Still almost a toss-up in my mind...I'll probably convince myself to be happy with either. The guys I DON'T want are Spagnuolo and Meeks. At this point, we need a guy with head coaching experience.

Smart people learn from their mistakes - I'd bet Fassel will have learned from his in NY. Just strikes me as a little less arrogant than Mooch

Still almost a toss-up in my mind...I'll probably convince myself to be happy with either. The guys I DON'T want are Spagnuolo and Meeks. At this point, we need a guy with head coaching experience.

Those are the two guys I'd PREFER, actually.

I'm tired of the re-treads, let alone the mediocre retreads, which is what you get with Fassel and Mooch.

I want someone who's hungry to prove himself, like Gibbs was in 1981.

I give Fassel a pass in Baltimore because Billick is an idiot.

I am not sold on Fassel or Mooch at this point. I will give whoever they make the new HC a chance though. Let him live or die by his record and how he handles the team. I am still disappointed that Williams wasn't made HC, but that is out of my control.

Lets just let our future history decide if Snyder makes the right choice. That's really all we can do.

I am still going to root for the Skins no matter what.

Whoever the new coach is, i hope they have an offensive mentality to "go for the throat" in games. Im tired of some conservative, "lean on your defense" crap, keeping it close till the end, spiking blood pressure, teeth knashing, hair pulling,fighting guts out, blood curdling, heart wrenching, hair greying, super smart football games.... Sheesh.

I want to see some blow outs... and us not being on the recieving end.

Whoever the new coach is, i hope they have an offensive mentality to "go for the throat" in games. Im tired of some conservative, "lean on your defense" crap, keeping it close till the end, spiking blood pressure, teeth knashing, hair pulling,fighting guts out, blood curdling, heart wrenching, hair greying, super smart football games.... Sheesh.

I want to see some blow outs... and us not being on the recieving end.

Hmmmm ... you better hope ( and I know I hope) DS doesn't announce Quizno/Fizzle then ... :doh:

Those are the two guys I'd PREFER, actually.

I'm tired of the re-treads, let alone the mediocre retreads, which is what you get with Fassel and Mooch.

You don't think the retreads don't have anything to prove? They at least have the ability to learn from previous mistakes, rather than just making the mistakes the first time.

To be honest, no matter what the pedigree, any new head coach is going to be an unknown until the games happen. Fact is, a lot of people here were seeing Superbowls in their eyes when Gibbs was hired. Unfortunately, he didn't quite live up to that. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to trust in Snyder to make the best decision for this team.

Jason

Snyder's plan to let a fungus like Fassel grow on the fanbase is working to perfection.

I don't have anything personal against Fassel...I just don't think he is the guy who can lead this team...I have a better feeling with Mooch though.

Don't you just love how all these new posters have come on recently trying to promote Fizzle?!?!

Note to his agents and minions. We ain't stupid! We're not gonna accept a guy who misjudges talent (firing Sean Payton) and who can't keep his team fighting thru tough circumstances. Gibbs Redskins had the injury bug last year. And they were competitive in every game of 2006.

Don't piss on our backs and try to tell us it's raining!

Don't you just love how all these new posters have come on recently trying to promote Fizzle?!?! Note to his agents and minions. We ain't stupid! (...) Don't piss on our backs and try to tell us it's raining!

I'm not a Snyderrato shill. I'm a long-time Skins fan in Toronto who just recently started posting.

Personally, I wish Snyder had never bought the team, and then treated it as his personal science experiment. I would have much preferred John Kent Cooke to have owned the team - having seen his dad operate for decades, he wouldn't have turned the franchise into a laughing stock among other teams.

It never would have occurred to JKC to do this (fourth paragraph):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/dr_z/11/05/insider/index.html

Bingo!!!!

This is why I don't want him here either.

Plus, it was Coughlin who made Barber go from Fumbleman to an elite RB, not Fassel. Why didn't Fassel fix that problem.....no thanks to JF.

If he gets hired, there's nothing I can do about it, but until then I can at least voice who I would like to see as our next HC.

No matter what, count on this.

If Fassel and he wins= everyone will have always been for him.

and if he loses= everyone will have always been against him

If Mooch and he wins= everyone will have always been for him

and if he loses= everyone will have always been against him.

If Fassel is hired and loses, everyone will think Mooch shoul've been hired

If mooch is hired and loses, everyone will think Fassel should've been hired.

And you can substitute any other name or prospect into the slots, sorry , but that's the way it is.

At some time or another, coaches are going to receive a tough deal. Look at Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, and Wanye Fontz. Tony Dungy will also let go unfairly by Tampa Bay, although he coached the Bucs to the post season his last year there. Look at Mike Tice, who also was fired by an organization that couldn't deal with an averafe 8-8 record.

Fassel may not be all bad. I still don't want him though.

I would have preferred Williams over everyone else. Given the complete offensive make-over that we are going to have to endure I'd be happy with either Fassel or Mooch. But I would prefer Fassel. I don't think he was a bad coach and the Giants were a strong team during his years.

While Tiki was a fumbler I don't fault Fassel for not fixing the problem. The RB coach and the player should deal with it. Fassel knows NFC East football.

Fassel was the beneficiary of some very unfortunate circumstances and luck during his tenure. Injuries were a big problem while he was with the Giants. But that continued into Coughlin's tenure so maybe it wasn't Fassel.

Fassel however could not fix Tiki's fumbling problems but Coughlin did. I don't think that really matters though because the Redskins don't have that problem for Fassel to try and fix.

I don't mean to point you out, and I'm not a big Fassel supporter, but the idea that Fassel is any less hungry to prove himself than a young guy should be laughable.

Fassel's HCing time is tainted even though it was fairly admirable. Don't you think he wants to prove to everyone that he deserves to have his name up there with the other re-treads that get talked about with reverence?

Any candidate should be just as hungry as the next. Hard to imagine they would have ever made it to this point if they weren't.

No matter what, count on this.

If Fassel and he wins= everyone will have always been for him.

and if he loses= everyone will have always been against him

If Mooch and he wins= everyone will have always been for him

and if he loses= everyone will have always been against him.

If Fassel is hired and loses, everyone will think Mooch shoul've been hired

If mooch is hired and loses, everyone will think Fassel should've been hired.

And you can substitute any other name or prospect into the slots, sorry , but that's the way it is.

:laugh: Unfortunately, that's very true...

Archived