Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WCP: Article explains Snyders cluelessness and Cerrato's relationship.

playboy1972

What should the punishment be if found GUILTY of perjury and other involvements?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should the punishment be if found GUILTY of perjury and other involvements?

• Goodell replaced:Belicheat banned:Kraft bought out:Patriots to have 3(4)Lombardy's stripped:
    • Nothing should be done to any party....Keep as status Quo!
    • Belicheat takes punishment as he is responsible as Head Coach!BANNED!(Trophies relinquished)
    • Kraft and Goodell should have to do prison time and Belicheat suspended for 1 year!
    • Maximum penalty: Organization removed and replace!(Trophies given to losers of those SB games)

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=34513

Does Wall Street hold clues to the cluelessness at Redskins Park?

By Dave McKenna

Posted: January 30, 2008

To steal from Dion, the pop star (as opposed to Deion, the guy who stole from Dan Snyder): He’s the Squanderer/Yeea-aah, he’s the Squanderer…

Snyder, that is.

Apart from George W. Bush after 9/11, it’s tough to come up with a situation where somebody squandered so much goodwill in so short a time as Snyder did over a few days last week.

From a management standpoint, the Redskins had the worst week in franchise history. By Friday night, all the warm and fuzzy feelings fans had for the entire organization after the post–Sean Taylor playoff run were gone.

And this much was clear: As broken as the team’s football operation is, its public-relations operation is in worse shape.

The debacle began on Tuesday, when Snyder announced the promotion of Vinny Cerrato from vice president of football operations to executive vice president of football operations.

One small word added to a title, one giant kick in the ’nads for the fan base.

On message boards and talk radio, fans showed they weren’t happy that the first big hire of the post–Gibbs II era, amid all sorts of talk about dignity having been restored to the franchise, wasn’t a hire at all.

Except for a one-season break when Marty Schottenheimer banished Cerrato, he’s been by Snyder’s side for every draft and free-agent decision. Given all the dubious personnel decisions in Snyder’s nine seasons, there’d been a lot of wondering around here how Cerrato kept his job. (In an interview in August 2005, the Washington Post’s UnWise Mike did the fans’ bidding by asking Cerrato: “Do you have any damaging videotape of Dan Snyder?” Cerrato said he didn’t.)

Yet, according to the team’s press release, “Cerrato will assume responsibility for all aspects of the team’s football organization, including personnel, the team roster, scouting and salary cap management.”

Cerrato is, officially, in charge.

Then a day later, while the locals were still cussin’ Vinny, the organization gave its base an elbow drop to the back of the head by letting word leak that ex-Giant Jim Fassel would be Gibbs’ replacement. This after Gregg Williams, the fans’ choice, had gone through a series of interviews at Snyder’s Potomac house, the one with the good view of the river.

The Fassel story sparked an online riot, with almost all of the ire directed at Snyder. Then word came that a new offensive coordinator, ex-Seattle QB Jim Zorn, would be brought in. Wholesale personnel changes are sure to follow.

And the roar calling for Snyder’s head grew louder. When fans were told to expect “continuity” during Gibbs’ retirement announcement, they didn’t think that meant the team was going to rehire Cerrato and a couple of beer vendors and cast the top coaches aside.

Amid the tumult, the Redskins decided the best PR tactic would be to make Williams, who despite the Fassel story was still officially in the running to be the next head coach, unappealing to the fans. But it wasn’t enough to just say over and over that the team had decided it could do better than Williams, who was a much-disliked loser during his only head coaching run in Buffalo. No, management decided to paint him as being anti-Gibbs.

On Friday evening, WTOP radio began broadcasting unsourced reports that Williams had “disrespected Gibbs,” apparently by not telling Gibbs the Skins defense would be a man short on the first defensive play against Buffalo on Dec. 2 as a tribute to the deceased Taylor.

But because Snyder’s operation has a history of using this sort of backdoor smear against its own—LaVar Arrington, Laveranues Coles, Adam Archuleta, et al. can testify to that—the anti-Williams leak campaign backfired fast and furiously.

By the weekend, Snyder could have won any poll of local residents on their least favorite person on the planet.

Joe Gibbs left video and audio messages on his Web site asking fans to pray for the team during the search. When somebody posted Gibbs’ request on the Redskins’ official message board, a poster responded, “I just pray [snyder] dies.”

Just as Cerrato has been by Snyder’s side from the beginning, his public relations has been handled by the same guy—Karl Swanson, who holds the title senior vice president of public relations—since Snyder put together $800 million to buy the Redskins from Jack Kent Cooke’s estate. And Snyder’s been disliked from the start.

Yet, like Cerrato, Swanson keeps his job.

How do they do that?

In the absence of any rational theories to explain the Cerrato/Swanson phenomenon, I’ve come up with a wacky one. It’s based on my personal fixation with the goings-on at Snyder’s largest nonfootball undertaking, Six Flags. (I’ve never invested a dollar in any stock or read the business section of any newspaper, but I now check the price of Six Flags stock online more often than a typical D.C. government employee surfs for new arrivals on barelylegal.com.)

Throughout 2005, Snyder made various filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission about Red Zone LLC, an investment group he’d put together in hopes of taking over Six Flags.

An August filing showed the group’s address to be 21300 Redskin Park Drive, Ashburn, VA 20147—same as Redskins Park. That filing also listed the names of the investors whose Six Flags stock Snyder controlled.

Turns out Red Zone is made up almost entirely of Washington Redskins employees. Among the names on the shareholders roster filed with the SEC: Vincent Cerrato and Karl Swanson.

So here’s the theory: Having taken Cerrato and Swanson along for his Six Flags ride, Snyder can’t take away their day jobs.

The Six Flags/Redskins tale is just like the stories that come out about workplaces that pool money together to buy lotto tickets and hit the jackpot. Only opposite.

Red Zone owned 10,921,300 shares in Six Flags at the time of the original SEC filings.

The records don’t indicate exactly how many of those are owned by Cerrato and Swanson. But, Six Flags has fallen so far under Snyder’s reign that, even without that knowledge, you can make some generalizations about Red Zone’s investment, which was controlled by Snyder.

Such as: Folks at Redskins Park have lost a lot of money following the boss.

At one point in December 2005, the month Snyder gained control of the amusement chain, the stock, which trades under the symbol SIX, hit $11.80 per share. That means the holdings of the investment group he’d put together were worth $128,871,340.

Six Flags, not unlike the Redskins, has been going downhill ever since Snyder started running the show. By last Tuesday, the stock had fallen to $1.46 per share, an all-time low. That means the value of Red Zone’s stake had been reduced to $15,945,098.

So it’s not only goodwill that Snyder squanders: His office pool was down $112,926,242.

Last week’s record-breaking day, by the way, was the same day that Cerrato was promoted and Swanson wasn’t fired.

Swanson, who over the years has complied with interview requests from City Paper for even the most adversarial topics, asked that any interview for this column be conducted via e-mail. However, he did not respond in time for our deadline to questions about how the performance of Six Flags stock has impacted workplace morale.

At one point in December 2005, the month Snyder gained control of the amusement chain, the stock, which trades under the symbol SIX, hit $11.80 per share. That means the holdings of the investment group he’d put together were worth $128,871,340.

Six Flags, not unlike the Redskins, has been going downhill ever since Snyder started running the show. By last Tuesday, the stock had fallen to $1.46 per share, an all-time low. That means the value of Red Zone’s stake had been reduced to $15,945,098.

HOLY CRAP.

That's like losing 90% of your money!

So basically, the article says Dan didn't do what the fans wanted, and that means the organization is a joke. The article didn't bother breaking down the decisions and analyzing them, didn't even come close to doing that. So, IMO, this article was just a fluff hit-piece for disgruntled fans to nod their head to. And just like the disgruntled fans, the only reason the article has for exactly why the process has been a joke is Dan didn't do what the fans wanted. Boo-hoo.

HOLY CRAP.

That's like losing 90% of your money!

Yeah, but the economy as a whole is down right now. Not to mention this is the offseason for amusement parks.

The article didn't bother to mention the success of the Johnny Rockets chain, nor does it mention the success of the movie production company Snyder bought. The writer of the article reeks of jealousy.

So basically, the article says Dan didn't do what the fans wanted, and that means the organization is a joke. The article didn't bother breaking down the decisions and analyzing them, didn't even come close to doing that. So, IMO, this article was just a fluff hit-piece for disgruntled fans to nod their head to. And just like the disgruntled fans, the only reason the article has for exactly why the process has been a joke is Dan didn't do what the fans wanted. Boo-hoo.

I don't know, it points out that an owner and his employees have gone out on a business venture outside of their owner/employee business.

That seems to be a big thing you're skipping in what you post here.

Those familiar with McKenna's history vis a vis the Redskins simply roll their eyes.

Those new to Mr. McKenna's work, the following phrase should probably tell you all need to know about his professionalism and credibility as an objective observer:

The debacle began on Tuesday, when Snyder announced the promotion of Vinny Cerrato from vice president of football operations to executive vice president of football operations.

One small word added to a title, one giant kick in the ’nads for the fan base.

Add to that chooses this trollspeak as justification for his position:

Joe Gibbs left video and audio messages on his Web site asking fans to pray for the team during the search. When somebody posted Gibbs’ request on the Redskins’ official message board, a poster responded, “I just pray [snyder] dies.”

... and choose to take anything else the man "reports" seriously if you wish.

Explain nothing, McKenna's had an agenda for some time now.

So if an author has a historical agenda, then he should be outrightly dismissed? Sound logic.

*I must have misremembered that McKenna was a "good author" according to ES posters (I don't really keep such things in mind, and try to judge individual articles on their individual merit; rely on you guys to point out bias all the time which everyone loves to do here anyway). Anyway, updated my original post accordingly.

Those familiar with McKenna's history vis a vis the Redskins simply roll their eyes.

Those new to Mr. McKenna's work, the following phrase should probably tell you all need to know about his professionalism and credibility as an objective observer:

Yawn.

The thing is, Om, he is pointing out true statements, unless you think that the fanbase was pleased with Cerrato's promotion? You can't honestly make that position, and that is essentially what he is saying, right? Maybe you want him to put it nicer, is that your argument? Maybe that's fair, but taking his statement at its basic value and not its strength, it's a true statement.

I also thought it was interesting information about Six Flags.

So if an author has a historical agenda, then he should be outrightly dismissed? Sound logic.

*I must have misremembered that McKenna was a "good author" according to ES posters (I don't really keep such things in mind, and try to judge individual articles on their individual merit; rely on you guys to point out bias all the time which everyone loves to do here anyway). Anyway, updated my original post accordingly.

The actual article was nothing but heresay and assumptions. McKenna has no actual sources, he's nothing but a glorified blogger with an anti-Snyder agenda. So, yes, an author's history factors in in this instance. Sound logic indeed.

Yeah, but the economy as a whole is down right now. Not to mention this is the offseason for amusement parks.

The article didn't bother to mention the success of the Johnny Rockets chain, nor does it mention the success of the movie production company Snyder bought. The writer of the article reeks of jealousy.

Ummm, obviously you are not as well-versed in capital markets as you are in football. :laugh:

If the whole stock market was down 90%, it'd be the end of USA.

Also, didn't the movie production company Snyder partnered with Tom Cruise to do pretty much collapse? And what success with Johnny Rockets?

I guess people are not paying attention... Billions have been whipped off share values throughout the world ...although the share price of the 6 flags group has gone through the floor Snyder is sitting on millions if not over a billion in real estate given the amount of land 6 flags own.

Now I am not sure if the plan was to condominiumize the 6 flags group from the start but all I am saying is he is likely to land on his feet ( unlike small investors in 6 flags) ...just out of curosity has anyone been to a 6 flags park recently has it got worse in the last couple of years ?

I guess people are not paying attention... Billions have been whipped off share values throughout the world ...although the share price of the 6 flags group has gone through the floor Snyder is sitting on millions if not over a billion in real estate given the amount of land 6 flags own.

I didn't realize the global economy just fell 90%.

The thing is, Om, he is pointing out true statements, unless you think that the fanbase was pleased with Cerrato's promotion? You can't honestly make that position, and that is essentially what he is saying, right? Maybe you want him to put it nicer, is that your argument? Maybe that's fair, but taking his statement at its basic value and not its strength, it's a true statement.

I also thought it was interesting information about Six Flags.

I'm saying the man has proven beyond a reasonable doubt to me that he is a hack job artist, SNO. I don't take anything he has to say seriously any more.

Other than pointing out that the message boards are alive with people ****ing about a coaching hire---not exactly Pulitzer Prize investigative journalism---he's apparently suggesting that there is something improper (or at least noteworthy) about the investment in outside ventures by Cerrato and Swanson.

One, I have no idea if it's true.

Two, I'm not sure I care.

Three, I'm not sure if he's suggesting it's improper, or just having an effect on the coaching search.

As he admits himself ...

In the absence of any rational theories to explain the Cerrato/Swanson phenomenon, I’ve come up with a wacky one.

... he hasn't got a clue. So instead he's throwing wildly speculative **** against the wall hoping something might stick, knowing full well that in the current Snyder-bashing atmosphere, it will play well with the loudest and angriest fans and probably make the rounds of the message boards.

If that all means anything to anybody, fine. To me it just further paints the picture of writer desperately looking for readership and willing to write just about anything to achieve it.

I don't know, it points out that an owner and his employees have gone out on a business venture outside of their owner/employee business.

That seems to be a big thing you're skipping in what you post here.

That part of his article was even more ridiculous. I did address it, somewhat, in my 2nd post though. Like I said there, McKenna says to look at Wall Street as it shows Snyder's cluelessness. However, he only mentions ONE business venture, and he brings up stock numbers at a time of the year when Six Flags isn't even open, and when the economy and stock market is in the gutter. If Snyder is so clueless, how did he get all that money in the first place? The writer never mentioned the fact that the Skins org. has been the most profitable NFL franchise for several years in a row now, until being surpassed by the Boys this year cuz of their ne stadium. Dude definitely has some agenda, as he sounds like a typical Snyder-basher that comes on ES. All he did was point out negatives, not a single positive. You have to point out the good and bad in order to compare and contrast, and build your argument while still addressing valid counter-arguments. The writer doesn't do that, instead coming off very biased, specualtive, and rather bush-league.

The actual article was nothing but heresay and assumptions. McKenna has no actual sources, he's nothing but a glorified blogger with an anti-Snyder agenda. So, yes, an author's history factors in in this instance. Sound logic indeed.

Hearsay and assumptions =

1 - Six Flags investment group includes Snyder and employees

2 - Fanbase disagrees with Snyder promoting Cerrato

Clearly that's not what you're referring to, and those are probably the two major points I took from it.

I guess the hearsay and assumptions you and Om are referring to are more in line with (and maybe it's better worded as "opinion") -

1 - Cerrato and Swanson are bad at their jobs. These are backed up only by Cerrato being very unpopular (not good backing for Cerrato being bad at his job), but the very unpopular moves that Snyder has made and also his public persona suffering IS backing for Swanson being bad at his job unfortunately, it would seem.

2 - Snyder keeps Vinny and Karl around because they are with him on Six Flags. I already disagreed with this viewpoint in my original post.

So I think his #1 is shaky, but agrees with a lot of the fanbase about Cerrato (something I'm not "sure" about and I agree with Longshot about - we'll find out better in the coming time - but I do think there's evidence that Cerrato is not good) - and as for Swanson I think there's evidence he's not very good. Although I guess it depends on what your definition of "public relations" is.

McKenna also claimed in one of his articles recently that posts on ES that criticize Dan Snyder or generally don't don't sit well with Mods disappear. Even after I pointed out that the posts he made examples of were merged into larger threads, he still clung to his disappeared story. He's a tool and he has an obvious agenda. I wouldn't trust that guy to tell me what day of the week it is.

no....the article is thinly implying that Snyder keeps mediocre people around him because they are tied into a large and bad investment he talked them into.

you missed the real thrust...the fan part is just window dressing.

If that all means anything to anybody, fine. To me it just further paints the picture of writer desperately looking for readership and willing to write just about anything to achieve it.

He's writing for the people who want to hear it. You're pissing into the wind if you think you're going to play even a small role in exposing this hack. This crap will only stop when the Redskins start winning.

For what it's worth, you're right.

McKenna also claimed in one of his articles recently that posts on ES that criticize Dan Snyder or generally don't don't sit well with Mods disappear. Even after I pointed out that the posts he made examples of were merged into larger threads, he still clung to his disappeared story. He's a tool and he has an obvious agenda. I wouldn't trust that guy to tell me what day of the week it is.

you're making me laugh...as if just about every person with keyboard who visits this site doesn't have an agenda. you don't actually bel;eive anyone is led by "the voice of reason"...do you? that is impossible...to start with...in an environment in which the info flow is so tightly managed/controlled. all sides arrive at a pov more from belief than factual basis......and that's ok...inherent in the situation.

no....the article is thinly implying that Snyder keeps mediocre people around him because they are tied into a large and bad investment he talked them into.

you missed the real thrust...the fan part is just window dressing.

There was nothing "thin" about it. That's precisely the "wacky" theory he's throwing out there.

You represent the angry fan as well as anyone these days, brother, let me ask you:

Do you think it's credible, or just yellow journalism, 21st century style?

He's writing for the people who want to hear it. You're pissing into the wind if you think you're going to play even a small role in exposing this hack. This crap will only stop when the Redskins start winning.

For what it's worth, you're right.

agendas aside...you didn't find the financial tie-ins the least bit interesting? I did...independent of whatever conclusions were drawn.

Archived