Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Keim on Zorn -- "At least one player hopes it spells the end for Clinton Portis"

Hooper

This had better not come from an offensive lineman except Chris Samuels. Those overrated, overpaid bums are the main reason why Clinton has been beat up as much as he has been. His talent has made them look better than they've been.

If this is Chris, I'd listen to what he has to say. But anyone else on this team, shut the hell up. Nobody on this team with the exception of Chris Samuels and Chris Cooley has done as much, let alone more, in these last 4 years for this squad than Clinton Portis.

....That should mean no special treatment for anybody
I Agree

Two Cliches come to mind though...

"Don't throw the baby out with the bath water......Play the hand you are dealt"

Gibbs wanted to get rid of Riggo.....and we ended up winning a SB with him

I want us to utilize the players we have....and not play schemes that are unsupported by players

TOs 4 TDs is one example of this....how many times do we have to learn this lesson?

Adapt to the situation......use the tools you have

just another newshound trying to stir up BS. kicking a team when its down for the sake of juicy journalism.

Yeah, I'm sure John Keim hunted around all day for a story, couldn't come up with one, and decided, "I'll stir up some trouble with Clinton Portis!" :rolleyes:

It's time to figure out that the dysfunction you're reading about is not an illusion.

I think it could be Cartwright. He wants to stay a Redskin but you can't say that he hasn't been upset with only getting to run kick off returns. But then again it could be all media hype trying to get people all up in a bunch.
Although Betts seems most logical, how about Rock hoping for more playing time?:whoknows:

Portis and Betts would both do well in a WCO.

TK err 21, love the avatar.

I will tell you BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT it is NOT ROCK.

Dear lord.

Let the speculation begin. And that ONE statement formally begins the tear down of the offense.

No matter who the coach.

Keim is respected and doesn't make stuff up. This viewpoint may not be reflective of what anyone on the team other than one person thinks, but I have no doubt that someone said this to Keim for him to report it.

Maybe I was wrong to call out someone without knowing him, but at the same time its pretty whack to say that without more details. This could be as simple as Rock saying "I want a shot at being the man" and now this becomes "he wants CP gone". We dont know. Reporting like this only begets speculation and then why write it in the first place?

Its antics like this why I stopped listening to major media reporters.

Yeah, I'm sure John Keim hunted around all day for a story, couldn't come up with one, and decided, "I'll stir up some trouble with Clinton Portis!" :rolleyes:

It's time to figure out that the dysfunction you're reading about is not an illusion.

or maybe you can figure out that all these journalist geniuses are nothing more than speculators who have a job to do, put juicy news on paper so people like us talk about it and debate back and forth.

It means absolutely NOTHING until said "anonymous player" comes out and publicly comments.

Its their job to create a juicy story. If there is nothing there, which there isnt right now because of the coaching carousel that no one knows anything about, they need to create something to make it look like they have something. Fassel to be announced coach, Williams to be announced coach, press conference being prepared for tomorrow, Ryan to be defensive coordinator, we can go on and on about the "breaking news" that the mediots have reported over the past week.

Fascinating that after four years, this only comes to light after Gibbs the Teambuilder departs.

This is what happens when you have ownership engaged in the intrigue that Snyder is engaged in. The team fragments and people start to look out more for their own interests than for team interests. Welcome to 2002 all over again.

It's going to go back to players being here ONLY for the paycheck, minimal effort, its just a business, right? :doh:

I have mixed feelings about Portis.

He's a good running back, but not great. He gets his yardage from lots of attempts. He is a great blocker, and an OK receiver out of the backfield. I think he also has good intentions and tries to be a good team mate. His problems are...

He's payed too much. He just isn't as good as that. He's not a great runner. He just doesn't seem to have the vision or the moves. He has his moments but most of the time he just runs straight and gets wrapped up quickly. And while there is no doubt he is a well intentioned soul, he just needs WAY too much attention. I'm sorry but the costumes were fine for a few times that one year. It's time to grow up and act like an adult, not like you belong on the short bus.

Personally, I would wish him well but I would like to see him move on. Start drafting and using cheap young backs the way other teams do and put the money you save into the O line.

:2cents:

I totally agree, I personally am ready to see us get a young, fresh, HUNGRY running back with something to prove. I know we have too many needs at other positions, but I cant wait to the year comes that we use our 1st or 2nd pick on a running back. I love Portis as much as anyone on here, but it's time for a change. He has too many nagging engeries, he fumbled waaay too many times, when he did do good, he wasnt consistant. The running game is HUGE for us, especially since we have a young QB who is still developing. If Portis doesnt get the job done next season (assuming he is still here), he has to go.

Maybe I was wrong to call out someone without knowing him, but at the same time its pretty whack to say that without more details. This could be as simple as Rock saying "I want a shot at being the man" and now this becomes "he wants CP gone". We dont know. Reporting like this only begets speculation and then why write it in the first place?

Its antics like this why I stopped listening to major media reporters.

What you and SkinsFTW are underestimating is the importance of reporters protecting their sources in order to be able to bring information to light that is not otherwise going to be out there. What would you prefer, that a player be thinking this but not daring to say it to anyone, or that he can tell a reporter this on a confidential basis so that you can learn about it?

Do reporters sometimes abuse this? Yes, they do, but less often than you think because over time you can start to get a feel who is reporting truth versus falsehoods, and reporters do have stakes in their professional reputations.

Do players and sources sometimes abuse this to air grievances? Of course, but again it's less often than you may think given that the reporters themselves don't like to be used and will figure out over time who is using them versus who is good for legitimate information.

As I said above, this one lone report isn't enough for me to conclude that there's widespread resentment of Portis, but it is interesting that this now comes out. Time will tell what it means.

we saw CP's re-dedication after ST passed. He admitted it himself.

He said he was going to rededicate himself, and that goes beyond this year. I want to say he will be a force next year, but with a new offensive scheme, I doubt it.

He also WANTS to stay here; him willing to restructure is evidence of that

While him getting special treatment is resentful, and rightfully so, it would be idiotic for him to get the boot.

The one thing no one realizes tho, is that CP has too much of a cap hit to be traded, and I will assume he has a big cap hit if he is cut.

Like it or not, CP is not going anywhere

Ok. I'll bite.

My opinion on this is we don't need Betts OR Portis. Get rid of the both. Betts does nothing but fumble at the worst time and rarely finds the endzone, while Portis comes nowhere near to living up to his contract.

If we are blowing up the team, we may as well REALLY blow it up. Trade them both.

I totally agree, I'm still pissed that Betts cost us that first game against the Giants when he couldnt run it in for 1-2 yards.:mad:

Some cojones that player has by hiding behing the "source" tag. If he's so adamant on his stance then come out and say it. It's bushleague and reeks of ENVY, its also understandable with Portis' personality and Gibb's treatment of him, but this is a bottom line business and CP produces like a top 5-10 back 3 of 4 years and many claim he's average at best? get a life... your just a hater failing to admit the truth.

He will destroy defenses in a wco. Think Brian Westbrook#s with 5 times the toughness.

Again, it's a direct quote from a significant player according to Keim.

Judging by his sources in the past, I'm thinking Jansen, Springs, or Thomas.

Thomas and Portis seem to be pretty close, so doubt that. Jansen, i'm not sure...but also wouldn't put him as very significant anymore due to injuries. Springs however sounds like someone I wouldn't be surprised to hear this from.

What you and SkinsFTW are underestimating is the importance of reporters protecting their sources in order to be able to bring information to light that is not otherwise going to be out there. What would you prefer, that a player be thinking this but not daring to say it to anyone, or that he can tell a reporter this on a confidential basis so that you can learn about it?

Do players and sources sometimes abuse this to air grievances?QUOTE]

I prefer neither honestly. If hes thinking about something that matters, he should do something with the team. If you dont like a player, or a coach you should go talk to him like a man. Dont get in some shouting match or mudslinging, just go talk to him like a man. Doesnt happen but rarely today in sports and Im sad it doesnt.

Going out and saying something to a reporter confidentially pumps your nuts and on top of that you cant be sure how the reporter will use it. I honestly dont care who likes who. I want them to play hard. If their personal interactions or something interferes with that, they should do something to fix it.

Go to the media and give hints to everyone.

Or you can go to the men you are in the trenches with and make it work.

I prefer neither honestly. If hes thinking about something that matters, he should do something with the team. If you dont like a player, or a coach you should go talk to him like a man. Dont get in some shouting match or mudslinging, just go talk to him like a man. Doesnt happen but rarely today in sports and Im sad it doesnt.

Going out and saying something to a reporter confidentially gives you some huge nuts and on top of that you cant be sure how the reporter will use it. I honestly dont care who likes who. I want them to play hard. If their personal interactions or something interferes with that, they should do something.

Go to the media and give hints to everyone.

Or you can go to the men you are in the trenches with and make it work.

That's why I wrote this earlier:

Fascinating that after four years, this only comes to light after Gibbs the Teambuilder departs.

This is what happens when you have ownership engaged in the intrigue that Snyder is engaged in. The team fragments and people start to look out more for their own interests than for team interests. Welcome to 2002 all over again.

I and the players agree that that is the "right" way to do things, but by destroying the outstanding chemistry that this team had only three weeks ago with the bull**** intrigue that the ownership is engaged in now (smearing Williams; not communicating with present coaches; backtracking on Fassel; hiring Zorn without telling anyone and before hiring a head coach; etc.) you can only expect that players will start to get selfish out of a sense of self preservation.

Anyone with any degree of life experience could predict this. Hell, we witnessed it happening time and again four-plus years ago!

So don't tell me what is the "right way" to do things - we're past that now, thanks to an ownership team that wouldn't know the "right way" to do things if it crapped on its face.

My question is this about this offense, will the offensive line see a lot of changes now? I don't see Clinton leaving this team at all. That'll be the biggest mistake on this team besides not hiring Williams.

Most of the time, a WCO will revolve around 3-5 step drops meaning the O-line shortens their steps and engages quickly. I'm not a Buges but I think our guys would be fine.

Although it's been stated often that we need O-line youth either through the draft or development.

I and the players agree that that is the "right" way to do things, but by destroying the outstanding chemistry that this team had only three weeks ago with the bull**** intrigue that the ownership is engaged in now (smearing Williams; not communicating with present coaches; backtracking on Fassel; hiring Zorn without telling anyone and before hiring a head coach; etc.) you can only expect that players will start to get selfish out of a sense of self preservation.

So don't tell me what is the "right way" to do things - we're past that now, thanks to an ownership team that wouldn't know the "right way" to do things if it crapped on its face.

We all understand it. Few of us like it. And worse yet, theres almost none of us that can do anything about it.

LaVar predicted that Portis would be next on the list, I think Portis's days in DC are numbered aswell. Thank god I didn't buy his jersey.

Lavar predicted a lot of things, usually to either feed or assuage his ego in statements to the media. That one prediction may (may) turn out to be accurate hardly makes him convincing as an interpreter of events Redskins.

Save me the Lavar opinions.

Archived