Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Keim on Zorn -- "At least one player hopes it spells the end for Clinton Portis"

Hooper

Portis has lost significant speed and also doesn't have good vision as a RB anymore. If he gets traded I wouldn't be upset.

Watch that first TD run against the Bucs and tell me he's still that good.

Exactly, and I'm not even saying we have to cut or trade him. If he was willing to reconstruct his contract, I'd love to have him as our second back, but I'm tired of him being our starter. I feel we can upgrade at the half back position. If the best thing our starting HB does is block, that's great and he is hands down the best at it, the dude has the heart of a lion, and I'd HATE to see him go. But this is about performance on the field, not a popularity contest. He is not like say a Cal Ripken or Darrell Green that has done so much for the team and organization for so many years, that you have to keep him until he retires. We need a serious threat at the HB position, so some JC is not forced to carry the entire weight of our offense.

Exactly, and I'm not even saying we have to cut or trade him. If he was willing to reconstruct his contract, I'd love to have him as our second back, but I'm tired of him being our starter. I feel we can upgrade at the half back position. If the best thing our starting HB does is block, that's great and he is hands down the best at it, the dude has the heart of a lion, and I'd HATE to see him go. But this is about performance on the field, not a popularity contest. He is not like say a Cal Ripken or Darrell Green that has done so much for the team and organization for so many years, that you have to keep him until he retires. We need a serious threat at the HB position, so some JC is not forced to carry the entire weight of our offense.

I'm guessing you're one of those people that expects to have top tier Pro Bowlers at every position, right? You get rid of CP, who is going to take his place? Tell me, who in the FA market could fill his shoes? Who in the draft is capable of filling his shoes? You honestly think Betts is capable of playing that well because of one decent season?

You're in a dream world man. Portis lost speed because he had to. In case you missed his NFL Network interview, he bulked up and started playing a more hard nosed style because he HAD TO. GIBBS wanted him to, so he did what was necessary. Getting rid of Portis would be the stupidest decision this team has EVER made should that happen.

I'm guessing you're one of those people that expects to have top tier Pro Bowlers at every position, right? You get rid of CP, who is going to take his place? Tell me, who in the FA market could fill his shoes? Who in the draft is capable of filling his shoes? You honestly think Betts is capable of playing that well because of one decent season?

You're in a dream world man. Portis lost speed because he had to. In case you missed his NFL Network interview, he bulked up and started playing a more hard nosed style because he HAD TO. GIBBS wanted him to, so he did what was necessary. Getting rid of Portis would be the stupidest decision this team has EVER made should that happen.

We'll you guess wrong, dont assume, you only make an ass of you not me.

I know we cant have a pro bowler at every position, but half back is a position that you have to have major production from. That is a major key component to any offense, especially when you have a young, unproven QB running things. Who can take Clintons place? To be honest, I dont know, and havent really thought about it, cause I know our team isnt going to let him go. But you make it seem like we'd have to replace LaDainian Tomlinsom or Adrian Peterson. Yeah right, I bet you if we used a 2nd or 3rd pick on a half back and gave him a fair shot at the starting role in the offseason, he'd take it from Clinton. And HELL NO I DON'T WANT BETTS STARTING, I'm ready to get another back up also, I would like to see would kind of draft pick we can get for Betts. And you're the only one thats living in a dam dream land if you think this offense begins and ends with Portis. And you see what that got us. I bunch of fumbles, after every other hit he gets up limping, hitting the hole with half the burst he had three years ago, stumbling to the ground. Look, I love Portis as a player, I probably liked him before you, I was a Portis fan when he was at the U and when he played for Denver, when he was the title belt on the sidelines. But I'm about my Redskins first and foremost. If I see a position that can be upgraded I'm going to say so. Like I said, this is about performance, not a popularity contest. Clintons style of running takes (has taken) a tole on his body. He's a MFn beast, but I dont know how many more productive "starting" years he has in front of him. And I dont want to keep starting someone if they have a crap load of naggin injuries and a suspect speed burst. And yeah I know in the offseason he bulked up so he can take more punishment, I live in breath the Skins youngsta, you can tell that Portis 101 info. to someone else.

Keep your man-crushes to yourself.

I know we cant have a pro bowler at every position, but half back is a position that you have to have major production from. That is a major key component to any offense, especially when you have a young, unproven QB running things. Who can take Clintons place? To be honest, I dont know, and havent really thought about it, cause I know our team isnt going to let him go. But you make it seem like we'd have to replace LaDainian Tomlinsom or Adrian Peterson. Yeah right, I bet you if we used a 2nd or 3rd pick on a half back and gave him a fair shot at the starting role in the offseason, he'd take it from Clinton. And HELL NO I DON'T WANT BETTS STARTING, I'm ready to get another back up also, I would like to see would kind of draft pick we can get for Betts. And you're the only one thats living in a dam dream land if you think this offense begins and ends with Portis. And you see what that got us. I bunch of fumbles, after every other hit he gets up limping, hitting the hole with half the burst he had three years ago, stumbling to the ground. Look, I love Portis as a player, I probably liked him before you, I was a Portis fan when he was at the U and when he played for Denver, when he was the title belt on the sidelines. But I'm about my Redskins first and foremost. If I see a position that can be upgraded I'm going to say so. Like I said, this is about performance, not a popularity contest. Clintons style of running takes (has taken) a tole on his body. He's a MFn beast, but I dont know how many more productive "starting" years he has in front of him. And I dont want to keep starting someone if they have a crap load of naggin injuries and a suspect speed burst. And yeah I know in the offseason he bulked up so he can take more punishment, I live in breath the Skins youngsta, you can tell that Portis 101 info. to someone else.

What are you smoking and who sold it to you? CP ran for 1262 yards (6th in the NFL) and had 11 TD's. Not to mention the pass protection that he provides. Getting rid of CP will not help the team at all!

*edit* and this is all with an O-line that was beat up. There is no realistic upgrade that can be made over CP.

Not even going to comment on this, or I will receive bashing nearing homosexual levels from the unintelligent in here.

I will say only one thing--if you were a Skins vet......and had to practice and play all of the preseason games.....like a Samuels type--you would resent Portis too.

This should come as a surprise to no one with half a brain.

dude...bad example given Samuel's prolonged rest this past preseason...and the one during Spurrier's first year! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is one thing I really hate about sports reporting: anonymous quotes. If a player has an issue with any other player but can't say it to him directly then don't go to a reporter with it. If you do, then make your name known. Be honest, be straight up. If you have the balls to say something like this, then name yourself. If you don't have the heart to do it, then keep your mouth shut. :helmet:

perhaps one day you'll see the problem in replacing CP while we have other more pressing problems...like...say....both lines.

This is one thing I really hate about sports reporting: anonymous quotes. If a player has an issue with any other player but can't say it to him directly then don't go to a reporter with it. If you do, then make your name known. Be honest, be straight up. If you have the balls to say something like this, then name yourself. If you don't have the heart to do it, then keep your mouth shut. :helmet:

agree. not only that...you have no way of knowing what the real motivation behind a cowardly approach like this really is.

http://was.scout.com/2/723454.html

Keim is the best skins beat reporter around -- totally objective and always accurate.

In a follow up question on the board's forum, he reiterated this -- confirming a SIGNIFICANT PLAYER on the team does not want Clinton on the team and hopes the new regime will send him packing.

Wow.

That one player can Kiss my ***** and pack his bags in his place! Nuff said!

Are you serious??????????????????? Go look at the #'s and see how Portis stacks up against the league since he broke onto the scene (including time with the SKINS). Then take a peak at where he stacks up in REDSKINS history! Wont be long till he is at the top of that list!

http://was.scout.com/2/723454.html

Keim is the best skins beat reporter around -- totally objective and always accurate.

In a follow up question on the board's forum, he reiterated this -- confirming a SIGNIFICANT PLAYER on the team does not want Clinton on the team and hopes the new regime will send him packing.

Wow.

That's heavy if it's true. That just doesn't sound like the type of player I thought we had on the team. We got rid of Archuletum score, he was the type of guy that anonymously attacked his coaches and teammates in the press. I really didn't think anyone else would do that. Unless Rock trying to free up some money for himself while getting a boost on the depth chart.

If its true, it almost certainly came from a lineman. Let's face it - if Portis has a great day, its because he's a great back. If he has a lousy day, and he had several last year, its because the line didn't make any holes. Lineman almost always keep the mouths shut after a bad running game - you almost never hear a lineman badmouth a running back.

As for trading Portis, I don't think that will happen. His release fee isn't outrageous, but the only teams that would be willing to pick up his salary are those that feel they would have a good shot at a SB in the very near future with an upgrade at running back. The only team that fits the bill is Green Bay. I don't think they want to drop $9M/yr on a running back with that many miles on the tires.

Archived