Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What kind of offense does Fassell run?

Stricknine

There's only one reason to jettison Saunders IMO. That's if Campbell is not suited towards either timing patterns or the bulk of throws required for the Saunders Offense. When Campbell came into the league the word was that he wasn't a blackboard wonk but rather did best when he could walk through the plays. Whether that's turned out to be true or not we just don't know. However, I think it's safe to assume that a successful Saunders QB needs to be book (or white board) smart.

Getting rid of Saunders means the Skins will also lose Collins. Brunell is done. So the Skins will need to acquire two backup QBs instead of just a 3rd string.

I don't think our team is suited for west coast offense at all...

Firstly you need big WR's to run that system. You have a lot of slants and crossing routes which require the WR's to go over the middle. Our WR's are not big to put it nicely.

Secondly you need a QB who is accurate in the short passing game and has a quick release. From what i have seen so far JC with his long wind up is not suited for that offense either.

I really hope we can keep Saunders and try to open it up a little more..

hERE IS HIS OFFENSE SUMMED UP Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......... *click clack* thats the sound of me putting the muzzle in my mouth week 4 when we have scored magical 10 points for the whole season..... ( I live in Gaithersburg and work in baltimore and everyone in this office is laughing at me because of these dumb Fassel .Fossil rumors) Its bad when Raven fans are making fun of you as well as the one dumb Bill fan in here. I hope that old lady trips and falls and hits her head on the keyboard !)

In fairness to Fassel, he wasn't the only guy who Kyle Boller got fired in Baltimore. Are you going to say Norv's offense is crap because Heath Shuler couldn't run it correctly?

That said, this is not the way to go. Fassel is a "safe" choice for a coach, a guy who is qualified to coach in the NFL but whose ceiling is well defined now and who is in no way inspiring or exceptional. If he's hired I'm going to be very upset.

I'm NOT a Fassel guy, but he's done enough despite being such a bad offensive coach to 1) have a winning record in his 6 or 7 years, 2) make the playoffs a handful of times, and 3) make it to a Super Bowl.

I wouldn't say he's a bad coach at all. If he did all of that DESPITE his offensive system, then more power to him.

If he was 50 instead of 60, I'd be fine with him.

Someone on here said we dont have the personnel to run the West Coast. I disagree. Living where I do, I see alot and hear alot about the Packers. We could run their offense as well as they can Im telling you. Their biggest receiver (that plays) is 6'1" rookie James Jones. Their little guys run slants all the time and led the league in yards after catch. Portis and Betts both can easily do what Grant did. Im certainly not excited by Fassel either, but we can run the WCO successfully.

Fassel with the Giants

2003 - 30th in pts 20 in yards

2002 - 22nd and 6th

2001 - 21st and 9th

2000 - 15th and 13th

1999 - 20th and 17th

1998 - 23rd and 29th

1997 - 21st and 27th

Skins under Saunders for reference:

2007 - 18th and 15th

2006 - 20th and 13th

Case closed, Fassel is overrated to say the least. At least when compared to Saunders. In 6 years, he only had 1 year of better offense than the Skins last year. We were ticked about this year's offense, wait til you get a load of this one. Don't forget that his offenses under Billick were worse than this.

just when you thought weren't gonna be called the laughing stock of the league anymore ... Fassel? Really? I am dumbfounded. I'd rather go with Jim Schwartz than Fassell.

Snyder may make his own bed to lie in. It's gonna be an uprising if he goes with Fassell over GW.

One thing I do know for sure, if GW is not offered the HC position he will not be here next year.

Fassel with the Giants

2003 - 30th in pts 20 in yards

2002 - 22nd and 6th

2001 - 21st and 9th

2000 - 15th and 13th

1999 - 20th and 17th

1998 - 23rd and 29th

1997 - 21st and 27th

Skins under Saunders for reference:

2007 - 18th and 15th

2006 - 20th and 13th

These are damning stats. If you think you don't like Saunders' offense, you will hate Fassel's.

I don't think our team is suited for west coast offense at all...

Firstly you need big WR's to run that system. You have a lot of slants and crossing routes which require the WR's to go over the middle. Our WR's are not big to put it nicely.

Secondly you need a QB who is accurate in the short passing game and has a quick release. From what i have seen so far JC with his long wind up is not suited for that offense either.

I really hope we can keep Saunders and try to open it up a little more..

Not true at all. The Seahawks run the WCO offense with a bunch of smurfs at WRs (except for DJ Hackett). As do the Packers and the Bucs. Yes I agree we'd have to shore up our WRs a little to be able to run the WCO successfully, but our current group is capable.

Plus, Jason has run the WCO successfully before in college, and could do it again.

*Note: I'm not agreeing with the notion of hiring Fassell. I'm just saying it wouldn't be the total destruction of this team like everyone is talking about.

Archived