Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thomas Boswell must feel like a complete idiot today

Ji

His article last night is classic..almost as bad a blown weather forecast

Joe Gibbs not only wants to stay as Redskins coach next season, he wants a contract extension from owner Daniel Snyder. But he can't come right out and say it because they haven't had time to sit down and actually negotiate it.

Before the week is out, Gibbs and Snyder will probably share a big hug and announce that Gibbs will be in town longer than fans ever hoped. That, at least, is the most likely culmination for the machinations at Redskins Park at the moment.

But we can't be absolutely positive. Put the odds at 95 percent. My days as a Gibbsologist began when he arrived in town in '81. For thanklessness, it's a job akin to being a Kremlinologist in the Cold War days. You have to parse a bushel of cliches for an ounce of insight. However, this current puzzle is probably pretty simple.

LOL

LOL

I'm not sure why this is funny?

It's sad. Sad because Joe is leaving. Sad because the guy put his faith out there and looks bad, sad because he was completely confident. Sad that someone on the internet feels the need to laugh at this whole situation.

But not funny.

The really interesting thing about this to me is that when I read Coach Gibbs' comments a couple of days ago where he said (to paraphrase) that he felt like he had been kidding himself and God and that his reasons for returning were more selfish than he'd been willing to admit to himself, something just clicked in the back of my mind. At the time, I blew it off as nothing more than my usual paranoia. In retrospect such comments coming from a guy like Gibbs should have tipped us all off right away...and I'm not even a certified "Gibbsologist". But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I'm not sure why this is funny?

It's sad. Sad because Joe is leaving. Sad because the guy put his faith out there and looks bad, sad because he was completely confident. Sad that someone on the internet feels the need to laugh at this whole situation.

But not funny.

yeah its sad Gibbs is leaving, but its funny as hell reading this guys article or blog or whatever that he wrote LAST NIGHT

yeah its sad Gibbs is leaving, but its funny as hell reading this guys article or blog or whatever that he wrote LAST NIGHT

I get that. But people are wrong all the time. At least this guy admits it. The amount of people who say dumb things on ES and never own up to it is ridiculous, but people don't rake them over the coals and laugh at them.

Sorry for my post earlier if I sounded bitter. I don't find anything funny about it probably because I'm a little nervous about the coaching situation now.

The guy also stated that we would defeat Seattle because of its "substandard" defense.

The man is like a kiss of death to this organization.

I have read Boswell over the years and he is way off quite a bit. Not just with the Skins but he also covers the Nats. He will say something one week and then 15 days later flip flop on what he said. You really can't read too much into what he says and unfortunately i made that mistake last night. I should have known when he wrote that article that Gibbs would be retiring within minutes.

Odd, Mortesen mentioned 3 coaches who you wondered if they would come back (but likely would not be fired)

After Gibbs he mentioned

Mike Holmgren

Tony Dungy --- hey.... we got the personnel to run his defense, if his contract is up, let's make a run at him.

Guest Rafterman
Duh!? Anyone could see Gibbs was finished. Especially after Seattle II.

:cheers:

EXACTLY

However, there are a good many TOTALLY CLUELESS people around here.

To his credit, and unlike most high-profile columnists / commentators these days, he has the character to admit he was wrong, say so with dignity and then offer a solid, moving perspective on the whole matter in a matter of a couple of hours.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232497

Agreed. There are many in Boswell's field who would never admit being wrong, no matter how clearly wrong they had been proven.

I actually felt kind of bad for Boswell, given how bad the timing of everything makes his column look. But he saved face by doing the right thing. Others might take a lesson from him.

Guest Rafterman
Looks like Coach Williams, not to mention the players, think you're full of crap!

"I have had a front row seat at watching a master hold his team together."

--Gregg Williams

But the facts back up, me.

But the facts back up, me.

Really? The FACTS are that we had SIX of our original starting 22 go down with season-ending injuries (including the murder of our best player), and we still made the playoffs. And that's having played the second-toughest schedule in the league.

Meanwhile, I hear Dallas fans saying "If we don't have TO we're cooked." And he's just ONE player.

Archived