Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES COVERAGE: Gibbs' Next Day Presser (SEASON FINAL - Write-up)

JimmiJo

ES COVERAGE: Gibbs' Next Day Presser (SEASON FINAL)

01/07/08

:helmet:

Here we are at the end of it all for the 2007 season. After a dramatic run to get to the playoffs the team fell in the Wildcard round of the playoffs, ending the season before we were all ready.

Still, the end is here and we have but one last chore until we put it in storage - the Joe Gibbs season final press conference. Not sure what we will hear today, other than how proud Gibbs is of the team this year. I can guarantee that he will be asked about returning next year. I don't know of anyone who expects him to do anything but return.

I'm sure he will be asked about personnel and assistants to try and determine who they may intend to keep. I'm not sure how much we will learn but you never know.

So while we wait I am curious about two things. What are your thoughts on the season just ended? Will your ES time reduce significantly over the next few months unless and until something happens?

As always I am standing by for proposed questions.

AUDIO

To listen to Coach Gibbs' press conference click HERE

Well that was an eye-opener for sure.

There were two bits of news that came out of today. Just two things. There were interesting things regarding players and process and free agents and wrap-up and more. But only two things anyone will be talking about:

1. For the first time in four years since he returned, Coach Gibbs would not commit to fulfilling his contract.

2. He seemed to intimate that the starting quarterback job could be open for competition.

Gibbs in his opening statement said the following about his status:

“Dan [snyder] and I have had very little time to get started on our discussions. Mainly because I snuck off yesterday and went home. Wanted to see grandchildren. Back at 2:30 this afternoon. Always sit and talk and go into things. [Dan and I] will be doing that this evening and going forward. Everybody’s situation taken into context here, including mine and my future here. [We will go] hot and heavy tonight. Will continue, when we get something hashed out, we’ll give it to you.”

On follow-up (and when reminded that he has always said that he intends to fulfill his contract) Gibbs said:

“I think my statement there is pretty good. Dan and I sit down and go through that. That’s been my answer the whole way. Each year you sit down and talk about it. My part of it, we need to have a good discussion on it.”

Gibbs was then asked about 10 different related questions as the press tried to get some context on his statement. I can tell you that there was some real surprise amongst the press. It is funny that I joked with a writer before hand that is Gibbs gave anything less than his stock answer he would create a media storm. Gibbs knows this by the way, even to the extent that last year when he was just a little less than clear he came in and asked about five of us the best way to respond. We gave him the answer that he has used since (before today) and that he has referenced, “I fully intend to fulfill my contract.”

Gibbs has been adamant in his answer to this question for the two years I have been showing up here. This is no mistaken departure or a game with the media. He knows that this is going to stir up conjecture until answered.

Gibbs mentioned that the press was going to ask him 25 more times about this. He was wrong. He will be asked 250 times or more until he says something one way or the other. The statement was generic enough that it is hard to conjecture what he will do with any conviction.

I glanced through the thread and noticed some concern by some of you, and others saying that they think he will come back. My feelings are that this is a big deal.

My sense is this is one of two things

1. Leverage on an extension

2. He is leaving as coach

I really can’t pick which of the two I think it is, but I am pretty sure it is one of them. I don’t believe we hear later in the week that he will return with no change to his contract.

Wow.

The other news is that Gibbs seemed to intimate that there could be a quarterback competition coming up. Let me go out on a limb and say that if Collins stays there WILL be a quarterback competition. Let me tell you why:

Collins played very well to guide the team to the playoffs. Some would argue (me) better that Campbell; more consistent and with better results consistently. I know, I know. Some of you are ready to shoot me. But that is how I see it. Collins yesterday in speaking of his free agent status said that he likes it here, but that he would like an opportunity to start.

My theory is that the team will offer Collins a deal and commit to giving him an opportunity to compete for the starter’s job. This doesn’t mean that he wins the starter’s job, only that he has an opportunity to compete for it. I believed this more strongly towards the end of the presser when Gibbs said that re-signing Collins is a priority.

Other Stuff

The following players are getting surgeries of some sort (most ‘scopes):

• Alexander - right ankle, scope

• Blades - left knee, scope meniscus tear

• Fox - scope on left knee

• Griffin - right knee, scope

• McIntosh - ACL reconstruction, Bubba feels like, he’ll be back and ready for the start of the season.

• Yoder - scope

The following players are unrestricted free agents:

• Derrick Frost

• Ethan Albright

• Ryan Boschetti

• Mark Brunell

• Todd Collins

• Jason Fabini

• Randall Godfrey

• David Macklin

• Pearson Prioleau

• Mike Pucillo

• Reche Caldwell

• Keenan McCardell

• Rock Cartwright

• Brian Kozlowski

• Omar Stoutmire

• Rick DeMulling

Ok, so now begins Gibbs-watch 2008. We are on Day 1. I wanted to tell you how great the year was and how I am going to take some time off, but I fear I may be out here sooner rather than later.

Nice work JJ.....will be here all offseason....regardless of news or not.

Can you please ask Joe if he thought the difference yesterday was both the offensive and defensive line strength of Seattle?

We couldn't generate a pass rush......and we couldn't stop one either.

Does he have any ideas on how to attack this?

Thanks...

JJ...

Gibbs is entering his 5th year of a 5 year deal:

1. Does he have any thoughts about NOT coming back next year?

2. Does he view next year as his last?

I doubt he'd really answer either of those, but I think those are two very important questions.

Oh, and to answer YOUR question... my time at ES dwindles in the off-season. I check everyday no matter what, but my posts become less frequent for two reasons:

1. Unlike many of you, I do love teams in other sports (Oklahoma basketball season ticket holder, Cleveland Cavs, Cincy Reds)-- I subscribe to the packages in each of those sports and consider myself a basketball and baseball lover. So, during spring and summer, I'm pretty distracted-- last late spring/early summer was awesome with the Cavs going to the Finals.

2. It's the OFF-season. Except on those rare days when something actually happens, I have very little to say.......if you can believe that :)

Archived