Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What state are the Redskins from -- Final wrap

Art

Murf and I are in the box. Today's blog will be fun as I'm close enough to Jason LaCanfora to be guided by his professionalism. Precisely 15 seconds after arriving to our seats the first clearly audible "****" was heard. This man's a pro. :)

Going to get situated and will write about Herb's great negotiating skill as to appropriate tips at Bennigans.

Branch is inactive. The Redskins will win this game 21-12. Book it :).

Weather update: Murf and I walked in the stadium with pretty nice, almost sunny weather. It's has been raining pretty hard the last 30 minutes, but is getting lighter now. About 44 or so. It's presently not raining and a little sunny.

Sunday, 15 seconds after Dallas win -- Receive mail from Murphy. "Come on, I don't ask for much, you gotta let me go to Seattle."

Sunday, 35 seconda after Dallas win -- Sent mail requesting travel and credentials for today's game. Grudgingly allow Murphy to attend. I need someone to carry my stuff around. I LOVE THIS.

Friday, 7:30 a.m. -- Daddy's got to take you to school, I'm going to a football game. Oldest girl, "I don't want you to go to a football game. I want to go with you." Breaks your heart.

Friday, 9:40 a.m. -- Call Larry to see how many seats I might need for entertainment that evening.

Friday, 10:55 a.m. -- Larry calls back and tells me as big as I can get.

Friday, 11:10 a.m. -- At gate. Interesting crowd on plan to Seattle continuing to Hawaii. Some very lovely eye candy intersperced with the grundge of about 10 people reminding you what passes for style in Seattle.

Friday, 1:30 p.m. (PST) -- Land, get car, go to start it and it's dead. Lucky for Murphy who texts me he's on the ground and am I getting him or is he finding another way to the stadium. Told him I'd grab his slack butt.

Friday, 2:15 p.m. -- On the way to the Fairmont in running car and Murf.

Friday, 2:35 P.M. -- Arrive at hotel. It's $35 to park with the valet and go in and out as much as you want, or I can park a block away and pay $30. Valet sold.

Friday, 2:44 p.m. -- Checking in to a woman only mildly in touch with the English language. Can't find us in the system though I confirmed we were there that morning. She finds our stuff back with the "group" packages. We're in.

Friday, 3:15 p.m. -- Leave Murf in solitude to go for a bike ride in the health club. What Murf does in the room alone I do not know, but we had to have a towel service.

Friday, 4:30 p.m. -- Waiting for the elevator. Old guy next to me says, "I hear the team's coming here." I told him they probably are just arriving. And they were. Elevator going up has Cooley and Landry and a full car. I take the stairs. I'm not vain but I don't need to be a sweaty hog on an elevator with those guys :).

Friday, 4:45 p.m. -- Murf asks if the teams there because he heard cheering outside up on the fifth floor. I told him they were and my phone rings. Larry going to work out and we'll meet for drinks at 6:30 downstairs. I make reservations at a sushi place.

Friday, 4:50 p.m. -- Murf calls hailredskins ***** to see what he's doing. I immediately feel betrayed and unloved. I gave hailredskins ***** the best pork chop of his life and I'm not in his five, but he and Murf are exchanging numbers. I tell Murf to tell him he's walking all night.

Friday, 6:15 p.m. -- Beautiful from shower we head downstairs to the lobby. Good number of fans are in the house. Bartender is about 80 and unable to keep up, killing our efforts at a buzz. Meet up with the boom mic boys initially. Sellers is in the lobby talking with people. No other players are around at the moment.

Friday, 6:30 p.m. -- Mr. Clean, Bram, Philly boy, hailredskins ***** and the voice guy all arrive just ahead of Larry. Another round. Cheers to victory. We discuss the possibilities. Talking of what 2s and 1s we'll see in today's game.

Friday, 7:30 p.m. -- Bill paid, or simply forgotten, we leave heading to the sushi joint. Walking distance almost straight down hill. The little Asian waitress is still there from two years ago, but not the one with the tramp stamp and nice ramp. We actually get a red head. I buy the first round and order saki bombs on me for the crowd.

Friday, 8:00 p.m. -- Local trash city paper found in bathroom has a Free Admission pass to a local Bennigans. This immediately begins quest to find 9 more of these items, but, only another local trash city paper is found. It does have inspired writing by "Boner Miser" and some others.

Friday, 9:40 p.m. -- Decide to experience the nearest Bennigans. Pass six Starbucks, but find the place. We're informed the other Bennigans we passed was a peep show. We find another free stand of the first trash city paper and rip out enough coupons for "Free Admission". A homeless guy begins asking for money from us JUST as we're ripping out the the coupons. I tell him, "Dude, seriously, look at us. We can't even afford admission to a Bennigans. Maybe you could help us out." He actually laughed, but declined.

Friday, 10:00 p.m. -- We almost don't enter Bennigans informed the admission charge is just $5 and the rest of the admission, not called admission, is $15 and there's no booze. We are a little worried from the Minnesota Bennigans, but decide to enter and OH MY GOODNESS, thank you that we did. That's all I have to say about that.

Friday, 11:40 p.m. -- Herb from the board tracks me down at the Bennigans. The aggressive selling techniques almost cost Herb a broken leg as he rushes out just as I'm heading out myself. He can tell you the rest, if he wants.

Saturday, 9 a.m. -- Heading out to the stadium. See Shawn Springs walking down the hall. We wish him luck and he says thanks. He's dressed rather well. Garmin navigation system apparently finds nimbus clouds difficult to penetrate and refuses to gain satellite signal. In a panic I pull off road JUST as the satellite is found. We circle back around and find our parking lot which is only about 200 yards from the stadium, but across railroad tracks. It's actually about a mile walk to get to the press gate. Murphy complaining even in the sun about the coming rain. Buck UP SOLDIER.

Saturday, 9:10 a.m. -- ENDLESS walk to the gate underway. A guy near us tells us the Seahawks are going to win. He's wearing a Texas Chainsaw Massacre shirt. I tell him it's over before it began. We're killing them. It's Redskins Chainsaw Massacre today. He then asks, honestly, "Uh, what state are the Redskins from." I tell him there's this federal district in between Maryland and Virgina called the Nation's Capital. He says, "So, they are from out of state? They can't win." Seattle.

Saturday, 9:25 a.m. -- In box, but no seats. Seems there was a snafu getting us seats. Seattle PR finds us a place to park. As I sit down, I realize by sound that J-La is up about 10 feet from me and that he has not fully grasped it's ok to lower the volume when he's talking casually. But, he's a funny guy. After the initial curse, I discover Howard Bryant is, "The guy who used to back me up on the beat," and some worry about his future role providing analysis for someone, somewhere. Not sure he read the blog or not, but since I arrived he has been talking, but, at an almost conversational level where others don't have to listen. Good job.

Saturday, 9:35 a.m. -- Al Saunders comes in with what I believe is his mother. I tell him to go out and win and good luck. He smiles and thanks me. I don't do autographs, but I do like to wish these guys good luck when I have a chance to address them.

Saturday, 9:50 a.m. -- Larry and Sonny are at the back of the press box chilling out. Murf and I ask Sonny what he thinks about the game. He says 27-24, good guys. I joke he hasn't picked against us in 40 years. He laughs and says he did once, about six years ago before he was called down. "You like broadcasting these games do you?" Very funny.

Saturday, 11:25 a.m. -- T.J. Houshmanzadeh is right in front of us and now works up to our row and is sitting right down from me. Murf spotted him first and did some recon to see that it was him. He'll be doing something for the NFL Network it appears. They are going over what he'll be doing. Look for a "box" with the weather and inactives at around noon -- or soon I guess.

Saturday, 11:40 a.m. -- Lots of NFL Playbook breaking down our film. When we watch our games on television lately we're seeing tremendously wide open guys. You wonder how. We've read some of how, but when you see the coaching tape, you REALLY see how. These guys are covered, TIGHTLY 10 and 12 yards down the field. There's NO WHERE to throw the ball. And, the ball is in the air. And the receiver is covered. And the ball is moving and the receiver breaks and the defender is backpedaling. And the ball arrives to the just broken receiver and the defender is starting forward. It looks like they aren't covering us but it's just how and when that pass is thrown that makes it look that way.

Saturday, noon -- Out of the Westwood One booth comes Marv Albert. I don't actually recognize him until I hear him talk as he's approaching Larry I believe. Star studded announcer crew in the housae for this one.

Saturday, 12:33 p.m. -- Inactives update. Their inactives are Payne, Hobbs, Joppru, Babin, Wrotto, Willis and Branch (yeah). Frye is third QB. Our inactives are Campbell, Stoutmire, Kozlowski, Boschetti, Sampson, Thrash, Buzbee and Hollenback is our third QB. Little surprised by Koz. Going to see a number of three receiver sets I bet.

Saturday, 12:40 -- Ed Werder is right next to me. What Cowboy slights should I make? :). Nice guy from the Sporting News is two seats down. Pretty packed press box at the moment.

Game time. Our ball -- Crowd is geared. Long time at the line. No penalty. Run and no huddle. Keep them off balance. Run. Third and longish. Nice blitz. Has Moss. Bad throw. Good stand by the defense. Bad start by us. Gotta keep the crowd less interested early I think.

Seattle ball -- First down, their motion man is moving forward before the snap. Nice play to get isolation. Second down, a receiver on a SS. Bad matchup. GREAT pass. Good line pressure. We open up with run. They open pass. Weather is nice. Sunny. Bad, bad start for us on both sides. That's basically five positive plays for them and none for us at this point. Decisive power run by Alexander. Not good. Whew. Finally, a quick pressure and cover. Washington has to make that play. They are in third and short. Springs falls, and they have a WIDE OPEN man. TOUCHDOWN man if that's complete. Bad start, but 0-0 and time to settle in.

In deep -- Crowd will be insane right now. We're going big. For me, I pass here. Risk is high, but so is reward. We run and get only one. We're playing pretty close to the vest at the moment. Quick easy pass. Positive play. Little space to work with. Managing the position for better shot at conversion here. They jump the initial route. No where to go. Collins keeps it alive and slips one in to ARE. THAT is probably the play Jason has the most trouble with. Going on timing he might have thrown that into coverage and cost us an INT. Collins sees it and saves it. A reverse with GREAT penetration by them. They may be too fast to run reverses on if you ask me. Moss on the swing. With the block if he gets by the tackle he is scoring. Now we're big again. You run it up the gut. If they stop you they deserve it. And they deserved it. Damn. Got out of bad field position but those are the plays we have to make. Unfortunate penalty there may cost us field position if Frostie doesn't bail us out. He doesn't and it's going against us early.

Seattle again -- Quick, crisp pass to start. Second down we know both what they were going to do and what they were checking to. Now can we come up big? We have him in the backfield, but, he makes a play. We did it, but failed to finish. Execution is with them right now. Surviving the early advantage is going to be crucial. Great run by Alexander and fumble, but it won't stand up. Damn. Damn. Damn. Worst possible start all around. They have us on our heels now. 7-0 bad guys.

Do we respond? -- Fake run, fake reverse, pass down the middle and that was wide open. Heyer is limping a little. Going for it all and Kearney drills Collins. Kearney is off quick on our snap. He took two steps before we moved. Collins gets it in perfectly to Moss somehow. Moss drops. Wow. They are playing like we've been playing. Little extra yards, making a little extra effort. We're playing like we used to play. Not a good combo.

Seattle third -- Opens up with the kind of pass we've been doing. Crisp timing play to the outside. Incompletion followed by a sweet run stop. There's the first play we've made today. Doesn't mean anything if we give up a first here. We fly out of a blitz to cover and they help us by throwing quick and short. Field position remains theres. Great kick and a penalty on us. Should be running into. Would be stunned if they call roughing. That's the right call. We're in deep again. First quarter has been dominated by the Hawks in every way possible. We're only down 7.

Need a break -- We need something to go right. Something to set them back. And, there it is. Finally, they jump in and give us free yards. Give us a little safety. Ball through Cooley's hands. Can't get anyone to make a play for us. Power run gives us a first and ends a bad quarter. Kearney gets in and causes a fumble. Interesting series. I think that almost has to be a fumble but the officials gave us a freebie. It's close. That could be a play that settles us in some. Not on second. Nice execution on third. We needed that. Kearney is getting a TON of attention right now by our blocking. Portis slices up the gut. Quick pass to Cooley. Just not sure Cooley is the option for you on that play. This is a fast defense. Hard to do those plays against it with Cooley. Moss TD......DAMN. He doesn't get there and it's a touchdown. Damn. Damn. Damn. And now a delay. Horrible game thusfar. They are doing everything they need to do to win. Pressure, execution and the like. We need to make a play somewhere, and we're not.

Seattle -- Springs jumps a route for an int and they double move him. Nice thought by Springs, but, they once again execute perfectly. Alexander gets stuffed, but he ran hard. Seattle is ready for this game to be sure. Out on Springs. They are going at Springs today. Third down nada. 50-yarder. Nails it. 10-0 bad guys.

Playing from behind -- Not often this year have we been behind early. We've failed to hold a lead but we haven't played from behind. Here's our chance. Two scores back. Getting beaten to the punch on everything. Something needs to stablize and get things back to even, not on the scoreboard, but on the field. Portis tip toes through. RUN AT KEARNEY. Heyer can own him there. Another run, clean edge, but a streaking backer stops it. They are a fast D. Total breakdown up front and sack. Timing play to Caldwell, there, but nice defense. Gotta give them credit to this point. They are better than us right now. No way around that.

Seattle deeper down finally -- Bomb on Springs again. They are working him. Interference on offense. Obvious call. Hasselbeck holding his thumb. Alexander around the edge. Second down screen called. Could have worked for a bit but Godfrey was around the area. An absolutely HUGE third down now. For the first time we can get field position from them if we stop them. Too much time. SACK. FUMBLE. PLEASE..............sigh. So close. Still, we needed something.

In Seattle territory -- Drop by Portis. Bomb, which is a nice idea. Betts can't block. Disaster early. If we keep it somewhat close entering half, we'll have a lot to adjust. I missed first down because a guy at the urinal was there before I entered, there for five guys ahead of me, there for me, and two guys next to me, and there until I left and I believe he was still peeing. Stunning.

Seattle -- Run, run. Look like us. Third and 7. Advantage us. Nice defense and coverage. We're starting to figure out their offense. We're not figuring out their defense yet.

GET A MOVE ON -- Draw and no huddle. Dangerous timing play to Moss. First down. Keeping them off balance with the no huddle. Or hoping to be. Quick throw to ARE. Nine yarder. Two minute warning. Man, if we can go in with something here it'd be huge. No first on second. Pass on third and NO. Man. This fourth down could be the game. Sellers didn't get it but I think they didn't give him his full momentum. That's three one-yard stops they've made on us. They are playing like they want it more. And now they have position. They can put it away here if they do anything. Review of the spot though. Sellers was further than they gave him but not sure enough. No good view. Their ball.

Seattle to put us away, or keep us alive? -- Biggest drive of the game. Morris has room, but Landry is flying up to stop him. Nice defense by Springs. They aren't even looking to Smoot. Strange. Third down. Let us exhale by stopping them. YES. Man. This game is teetering on the edge. Offense, here's your chance to do something.

No risk -- Not going to chance anything. Going in down 10. Seattle calls time out. They want the ball back it seems. We say screw you Seahawks. Dumb garbage calling time outs there.

Halftime review -- The Seahawks outplayed us and executed. They had us on our heels early on both sides of the ball. We got back to even and a little ahead on defense. Offense never really found itself, largely because they have made the plays. The first half wasn't a situation where we did anything to hurt ourselves. They beat us. They beat us up front. They beat us with execution. They beat us with game plan. We're down 10, so we're there. It's not out of reach. But adjustments have to go our way in the second half and we do not typically have them go our way in the second half lately.

The Seahawks matched and surpassed our emotion, which is not terribly surprising. For us, the advantage we have is we think we're keeping Taylor alive by playing. They need to feel that slipping away to take it to the next level. First half they beat us pretty soundly, though. Give them credit. We're also seeing the limitations of Collins. If he's not kept clean from pressure, he can't go to anything else. He can't make plays with his feet or keep plays alive with athletic ability. Here, in this game, right now, Campbell would benefit us because he can do that, and by doing that, limit what they can do against him.

Seattle in the second -- Run defense is stiff again but any matcup on Torrence is dangerous for us. Quick first down for them. First down run with heavy blitz look. Nice play by Godfrey as Alexander was getting to the second level. GREAT play by Doughty. Doughty really is showing up more and more. Torrence in GREAT position but can't make the finish to change the game for us. But, it's our ball. Their punter is good :).

Adjust -- We have to do what we did against Tampa now. Traps, quick hitters, power. Decisive passing. We were efficient on third down against Tampa and Seattle is better up front than them so we have to be better on first and second against the Hawks. Power sweep that looked great, but Portis couldn't quite get through. Quick pass to ARE. Gut run to Portis. Not effective but we controlled the line. No where to go on second and Collins is slow, slow, slow. Third down and they get us. Just not enough protection right now.

Seattle -- Quick pass against Smootie, just trips him up. Quick again for a first. Alexander is sticking his nose in there but that's just great run defense. That's MAKING a play by Griff. Springs getting worked today, no doubt. Great pass. Come on DEFENSE. Nothing on first. Nothing on second. GREAT tackle by Freddie. We're as far down as we can be and still hold out hope. 13-0

Special teams now -- Getting beaten in all three phases sucks. We make a teams play, but they call a quick penalty on Campbell to both ruin it and put us in bad position. Quick hitting run. That's what we have to do and if Portis keeps his feet something can happen with it. WAY early pass to Cooley and he has no idea it's coming, then, last second reaction. MAKING a PLAY. Heyer handles Kearney on first. Pass to Portis. Pass to ARE. First. Another run, looks good early, but Portis chased down and nothing. Cooley coming up big now. Nice block by Betts on the pass. Another first. Quick to ARE. This is what I thought we'd see. Decisive plays. Caldwell falls. Huge third down. Not a gimmie field goal if we don't move. Slam it up there and no. Fourth down. This is a huge decision. For me, I go for it. If you can't make a yard EVER you shouldn't keep playing anyway. And a PASS. WOW. Gutsy call. That's a PI no doubt. Wow. HUGE play. First down keeps us on schedule. Second is nearly picked. End of the third.

Start of fourth third down -- Here it is folks. Life and death. A game or still just a hope. A GAME. Dammit, there's nothing easy here, but, that's a heck of a drive. 13-7 YEAH.

Seattle response -- Here's a big drive for them. Finally some pressure on them. They open with the same play teh opened the game on. Torrence is playing acceptably well. LaRon TAYLOR.....Landry, with an interception. YES. MAKING A PLAY. TAKING IT BACK.

Offense -- Go up now. Quick hitter to Portis. Nice positive play. Quick to Moss. That's what you do to a defense like this. AND THAT IS WHY. You take their ability to take the fight to you away. You set them up for something big. That's beautiful football. 14-13. Good guys. No matter the outcome, you have to appreciate what we've done. We've fully adjusted our game plan and execution in the second half. We will force them out of the pressure fronts and pound them if we can hold them here.

Seattle feeling the heat -- and showing it. A fluke play out of no where.

Kill shot -- Going for the big KO shot. They won't be totally down, but you can put them on the verge here. NICE PLAY. ****. Damn. That's a pass we hit and this one is just about over. Now we'll see how they respond. Will they blitz and risk the quick play, or will they sit back. And what do we do? First bad idea of the half. You don't go big here. You just don't. You spread the damn field. This is just dumb. May work out, but you don't do this and tighten up the field by your formation. Time out. Good, maybe we'll reconsider. A field goal helps, but doesn't crush them. A TD scares them to death. They'll have more pressure. We come out of big which is good. Kearney dominates on the play and saves them. That's just good football. Crazy. That's not what you thought you'd see. A miss there keeps them not only alive, but, feeling great.

Just like that -- The Seahawks take the game back into their control. Emotion and momentum totally swings. Terrible. Fine pass on first. Good coverage, but another on the second play for another first. In our positon. Alexander runs hard. Damn. Landry speeds across the field. Pick. Man. My heart is beating hard. Torrence had good coverage, but maybe a PI. Landry looks like Taylor right now.

Just like that II -- Our ball. They still have us in a bad position so we need to get a little space. False start by Samuels doesn't help. Pounding run by Sellers. Run clock. Get out of the end zone. Portis runs hard. Fabini hits harder. Lots of pressure on both teams now. This is playoff football. Timing play with good coverage. Could have used more there. Seattle will have field position and be a first down away from a chance at the lead. Our teams are killing us today.

Seattle going in -- First down lots of action in the routes, but short play and nothing. They gash us now on second. Throw on Springs and....shoot. Not used to seeing Springs the full center of attention. That's huge for them. Clock running. In range to take the lead. And, TD. Nice play and execution. Going for two. We lose this and that nonsense after the kickoff recovery will be haunting. They make it and 21-14 is our count. Plenty of time.

Go Rock -- Great return. Across the field. Late penalty call takes away some yards, but we're in good shape. And then we weren't. Moss never found the ball and that's the end I'm afraid. 28-14

Heading down to the field -- Will talk soon.

Closing -- Went down to the field with a couple minutes left. The game was over. The season was over. I don't do a lot of interviews after losses because I like to goof around and after a loss you can't do that. After a loss all I want to do is find Suisham and ask him how big he thought that missed kick was to the momentum. I wanted to find Buges and ask how they were so effective with their pass rush. I wanted to ask the questions a million other paid people are there to do, so I don't do it. Instead, I just tried to sense the team's emotions and, more than anything, I tried to convey to them how thankful we are for the season they had and the players they are.

I did something very similiar in Seattle in 2006. Every player or coach I could find I thanked, congratulated them on a good season and that's it. Gregg Williams walked off and I told him first. He turned and told me he appreciated it. Byner and then Heyer and Golston on the field. Thank you from Byner, an, as always enthusiastic conversation, thankful for all he's had come his way this year and a nod from Golston.

In the locker room, it was silent. Murf rushes in and does interviews. I admire he and JJ for that, but, for me, I just watched. I just listened. I just felt. Landry wasn't talking, at least not until much later when Czarniak gets hiim to open up a little. I thank the PR staff for the season. Run into Karl and thank him for everything he's done for us at ES. Say goodbyes to the .COM crew and Larry. Poke my head in to players unoccupied, all depressed.

Where Seattle last time in the playoffs you could feel little disappointment or sadness and more determination and pride at what they appeared to be emerging as, you felt sadness now. You felt a little shock even, if slight. I told Alexander he'd get that catch next season on the big package. I thanked Buges and he patted my shoulder. I got back when Smootie was alone and told him thanks for coming back. He really enjoys that.

Marcus gave me a big hand shake when I spoke with him. I found Rock, very late, and told him how much we love him and he said he loves us too. I told him we'd better see him next year. He said he hoped so. I told him it was up to him. I don't think he agrees. UnWise Mike patted me on the shoulder and said hi, I think still in appreciation for the expression of gratitude I gave him a couple weeks ago.

The season's over and you don't really know, still, what to make of these guys. In 2005, you felt things were on track. Moving forward. Now you're not fully certain if the team made a run because of inspiration, or if they finally overcame the things that had long defined it this and in most previous years.

I appreciate all I get to do with these guys. It makes both the winning and the losing more of an impact. For now, I'm just glad we got to where we were with a team that seemed unlikely to get there. I hope I let them know that, at least for many of us fans, that's how we felt. I'll think about next year later.

That's all for now.

JJ.

I don't actually think the score will be 21-12, but, it would be SCARY if it was. I do think we'll win. Last time I said to book it I was attempting to provide a little confidence and it was misplaced :).

Murf and I are in the box. Today's blog will be fun as I'm close enough to Jason LaCanfora to be guided by his professionalism. Precisely 15 seconds after arriving to our seats the first clearly audible "****" was heard. This man's a pro. :)

:laugh: :laugh:

He's like a child, seriously.

Have fun Art.

JJ.

I don't actually think the score will be 21-12, but, it would be SCARY if it was. I do think we'll win. Last time I said to book it I was attempting to provide a little confidence and it was misplaced :).

It's a good thing I'm not superstitious... :paranoid:

Saturday, 11:40 a.m. -- Lots of NFL Playbook breaking down our film. When we watch our games on television lately we're seeing tremendously wide open guys. You wonder how. We've read some of how, but when you see the coaching tape, you REALLY see how. These guys are covered, TIGHTLY 10 and 12 yards down the field. There's NO WHERE to throw the ball. And, the ball is in the air. And the receiver is covered. And the ball is moving and the receiver breaks and the defender is backpedaling. And the ball arrives to the just broken receiver and the defender is starting forward. It looks like they aren't covering us but it's just how and when that pass is thrown that makes it look that way.

And thanks for this too Art. I'd love to be able to see coach's tape... thanks for being our eyes and ears.

Archived