Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

I don't see an "A" side in that fight. Its 50/50, Canelo has established that he can get fans in the arena. Everything should go 50/50 for that fight.

Good point and I'm sure Oscar will be echoing your sentiments at the negotiating table. But imho Canelo has not yet done enough to warrant 50/50 with Miguel Cotto. Cotto has been the 3rd biggest ppv draw in the sport for a long time. Canelo has shown his drawing power but he has yet to prove he can be a consistent ppv attraction as Cotto has. Not sure exactly how many ppv fights Cotto has had but I'm sure it's close to double digits and he has been A-side in all but 2 (Of course against May and Pac). 

Canelo had the HUGE ppv with Mayweather bc he was touted as "the one to finally take away the 0". Canelo has a strong, strong Mexican following but I'd argue that Cotto's Puerto Rican presence is just as strong if not stronger but definitely more consistent thru out the years. The 50/50 argument can be made as saying Cotto is own the "downside" of his career and Canelo is the "rising star" here but this will probably be the first time that argument held much weight at the negotiation table.

With all that being said, I believe 55/45 in favor of Cotto is more than fair for Cotto. Also expect Canelo to get A LOT of say-so during the negotiations. The one thing I'm most interested to see is, at what weight will they decide to fight.

Edited by Rexx1240

Disagree slightly, Cotto had the benefit of PPV worthy opponents over the years. 154 has been pretty thin on talent and even thinner on names during Canelo's run.

157 seems to be a good weight for all parties, Cotto doesn't want to fight 160, Canelo hasn't seen 154 since Mayweather. I would bet 157lbs.

Disagree slightly, Cotto had the benefit of PPV worthy opponents over the years. 154 has been pretty thin on talent and even thinner on names during Canelo's run.

Very true but that shouldn't take away or discredit what Cotto has done in the sport. He can't be penalized for Canelo's resume'.

157 seems to be a good weight for all parties, Cotto doesn't want to fight 160, Canelo hasn't seen 154 since Mayweather. I would bet 157lbs.

Agree 100%

Very true but that shouldn't take away or discredit what Cotto has done in the sport. He can't be penalized for Canelo's resume'.

Agree 100%

I definitely won't discredit what Cotto did for the sport. With Cotto its been weird, I thought he was kinda overrated coming up, now I see him as kind of underrated as he's entering the last fights of his career.

Cotto is the "A" side to just about everybody else in the game.

• Like 2

Erislandy Lara has been calling out GGG for a while now. He just touched down in Chi today in preparation for his upcoming bout and called out 3G once again. He's been basically screaming for this fight to be made. This would be a good step up in competition for 3G and could really silence the resume' critics such as myself. A win over Lara would also put him on the map to set him up for much bigger fights and higher purses. This is a fight I would love to see. 

3G either stops Lara or gets outboxed thru 12.

Even though he won, Lara had trouble dealing with Angulo's pressure in their fight. GGG is more technical than Angulo and Lara doesn't have the pop to keep GGG from walking him down. I don't have much interest in that fight.

Seems like forever since he last fought, though I guess the stuff with Goossen was probably the main reason why

Mikey Garcia been stuck in promotional hell as well.

Would have loved to see him vs. Crawford at 135

• Like 1

Even though he won, Lara had trouble dealing with Angulo's pressure in their fight. GGG is more technical than Angulo and Lara doesn't have the pop to keep GGG from walking him down. I don't have much interest in that fight.

GGG probably can beat Lara, almost sure of it. But he's also there to beat hit, a lot. If Lara can manage to avoid those hammers, he can win a decision. Of course, waay easier said than done.

Mikey Garcia been stuck in promotional hell as well.

Would have loved to see him vs. Crawford at 135

Saw recently Mikey said he's coming back and will campaign at 140. So this dream matchup definitely can become reality. As long as Bob let's Todd handle things, we could get this fight next year.

With close to one week out, Porter is still 150lbs right now. He should be AT LEAST within 3-4lbs of his target weight right now. So this says to me he's gonna try to shed all that weight at the last min. Just as I thought, he'll be drained. Another ez W for AB

Edited by Rexx1240

So on the same day the NSAC approves Mayweather's 9/12 date for MGM, Oscar ironically announces he's aiming to put Cotto-Canelo on that date.

Smh pride and ego made this decision for Oscar. He's not thinking properly. They'll win in views by a wide margin but in the end, everybody loses.

Hate when this happens!

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/13066678/nicholas-walters-stripped-world-title-failing-make-weight

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/walters-fails-to-make-weight-loses-wba-featherweight-title-on-the-scale-294406

Nicholas Walters failed to make weight Friday afternoon and was stripped of his featherweight world title ahead of his fight against Miguel Marriaga on Saturday night at the Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Walters was initially 127.4 pounds, 1.4 over the 126-pound division limit. Under New York State Athletic Commission rules he had two hours to shed the extra weight but when he returned to the scale nearly two hours later he was still 127 pounds and he was stripped of the belt, although the bout will still go on as scheduled in the main event of an HBO broadcast (10 p.m. ET/PT).

Boxing on SPIKE TV tonight.

Erislandy Lara 153.6 vs. Delvin Rodriguez 153.4
(WBA super welterweight title)

Artur Beterbiev 175 vs. Alexander Johnson 174.2
Artur Szpilka 231 vs. Manuel Quezada 233.5 (not sure if televised)

Seems like a recurring problem in boxing and it's happening more and more frequently. Somebody needs to figure out a way to get this under control.. Maybe more strict consequences, etc.

Edited by Rexx1240
  • Like 1

We may have just witnessed the easiest win of Lara's career since he became a well known name.

wins like that don't do him any service. if he wants big names, he has to be more exciting than that. he has brilliant technique, but unless you're Mayweather, people are not paying to see technique.

Don't know if Floyd would do it, but I'd like to see him fight Lara. He's slick, but he has enough offense and pop to make it very intriguing. I always liked Lara and I thought he won the Canelo fight.