Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Bradley/Marquez is being moved from September 14th to October 12th. Arum is crazy, but he's not stupid.

Was thinking of some undecard bouts that could go on the PPV:

Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse: No chance it actually happens, but it would push the card to another level. Not to mention, its a big enough fight to stand as a main event for a Showtime card. Selfishly, I'm holding out hope it lands in the Verizon Center.

Victor Ortiz vs. Amir Khan: Probably won't happen because I'm not sure either fighter can withstand another high profile loss, but this would be a damn good action fight. Khan's weak chin vs. Ortiz's weak mind. If Khan looks impressive, he positions himself as a possible candidate for Floyd's next fight. In boxing, one great win can make people forgetful of past troubles. 

Leo Santa Cruz vs. Anybody: Don't really care who he fights, just put him on the card, guaranteed action.

One thing I can say about Golden Boy, they try to give you a good card on PPV unlike Top Rank. I could definitely see one of those fights on the undercard as a co-feature.

• Like 1

First, I don't believe he fought De La Hoya at a catchweight. I believe they fought at 147. Pac moved up 2 weight classes and De La Hoya moved down from Jr middleweight and second, the naturally smaller guy always request the catchweight. The only fight, I believe, Pacquiao fought at a catchweight was against Margarito and Cotto.

Even though Floyd's team says that Alvarez's team are the ones that requested the catchweight, we know who really wanted the catchweight.

Still a catchweight any way you wanna look at it. Manny made Oscar come down to 47, knowing full well he'd be a dead man walking, while Manny clearly already had intentions on fighting at WW on a permanent basis. Also I wont sit here and say 2lbs isnt that big of a deal but for somebody who walks around upwards of 180 and has to shrink himself to 54, it is a big deal.

But this is my hope just to silence the critics: I hope on Sept 13th Canelo steps on the scale at 155 or 56 and take what ever contractual penalty they have set. That way he has a CLEAR weight advantage which totally voids all talk of this 2lb catchweight nonsense. Then after Floyd destroys this overgrown kid, what will the critics say?

Still a catchweight any way you wanna look at it. Manny made Oscar come down to 47, knowing full well he'd be a dead man walking, while Manny clearly already had intentions on fighting at WW on a permanent basis. Also I wont sit here and say 2lbs isnt that big of a deal but for somebody who walks around upwards of 180 and has to shrink himself to 54, it is a big deal.

But this is my hope just to silence the critics: I hope on Sept 13th Canelo steps on the scale at 155 or 56 and take what ever contractual penalty they have set. That way he has a CLEAR weight advantage which totally voids all talk of this 2lb catchweight nonsense. Then after Floyd destroys this overgrown kid, what will the critics say?

I just want you to read this article. The last part should sound familiar.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/Floyd-mayweather-deflects-criticism-catchweight-canalo-fight-points-171500697.html

I just want you to read this article. The last part should sound familiar.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/Floyd-mayweather-deflects-criticism-catchweight-canalo-fight-points-171500697.html

Firstly, you have to know there are several writers who make their life's work of bashing Mayweather, Paul Magno is definitely one of those writers. 90% of everything he produces is anti-mayweather so when I first clicked on the article I instantly saw the author and already knew what time it was.

But to your point, I def agree about the hypocrisy and contradiction, etc but that's only going to make me keep asking the same question I have been asking "At what point do you draw the line?"

I dont believe:

a) Pacquiao gets this much flack for his catchweight demands (in fact, his victories seem to be more glorified)

b )Pacquiao would actually never, ever, ever step foot in the ring with a fighter of Canelo's size and agree to deduct only 2lbs

c) Mayweather wouldn't be catching this much flack if Canelo was actually fighting at his natural weight rather than shrinking himself to be a 54lber which he clearly is not. If he were fighting at Super Middleweight (which he very well should be) and this fight were made at a catchweight nobody with good sense would really care. But people seem blinded by the fact that Alvarez fights at Junior Middle instead of Super Middle where he should be.

So to keep asking the redundant question of whether or not he has a belt at Jr MW is pointless because he was clearly outweighed in those fights by fighters who actually BELONG in that weight class. But you have a fighter who struggles to make that weight solely to gain advantage over his opponents and Floyd is bashed for being in a position to NOT fall for the fried icecream..

Edited by T-REX1240

The one reason I believe Pacquiao doesn't get that much flack is because Pacquiao has a rep of taking on all comers and he's exciting. People loves a boxer that KO's people. And unlike Floyd, who can be polarizing, Pacquiao is likable.

The one reason I believe Pacquiao doesn't get that much flack is because Pacquiao has a rep of taking on all comers and he's exciting. People loves a boxer that KO's people. And unlike Floyd, who can be polarizing, Pacquiao is likable

LOL no sorry buddy Bob Arum leads fans to believe Pacquiao takes on all comers. Do a lil research for yourself and you'll be surprised what you come up with.

As far a exciting goes, Manny is naturally a more "exciting" fighter because he's a come-forward style puncher with below avg defensive skills. The avg fan will find Mayweather's style boring because of his defense-first style with top-notch counter punching skills. You have to really appreciate the intricacies of the sport or you'll definitely not be a fan of Floyd's style. As far as being likable outside the ring, Mayweather def can be annoying as hell sometimes with his "villain" image while Manny gives off a very humble image and usually says all the right things. So I agree Manny wins the most likable between the two outside the ring. But because of Floyd's marketing ploy he's managed to push himself to the top of the income chain w/o a close second while nice guy Manny still searches for ways to make even half the fight night purse Floyd rakes in (not to mention ppv). Manny is even trying to duel it out in other countries to avoid US taxes because he just isnt bringing in sadly what he feels he's worth.

Edited by T-REX1240

LOL no sorry buddy Bob Arum leads fans to believe Pacquiao takes on all comers. Do a lil research for yourself and you'll be surprised what you come up with.

As far a exciting goes, Manny is naturally a more "exciting" fighter because he's a come-forward style puncher with below avg defensive skills. The avg fan will find Mayweather's style boring because of his defense-first style with top-notch counter punching skills. You have to really appreciate the intricacies of the sport or you'll definitely not be a fan of Floyd's style. As far as being likable outside the ring, Mayweather def can be annoying as hell sometimes with his "villain" image while Manny gives off a very humble image and usually says all the right things. So I agree Manny wins the most likable between the two outside the ring. But because of Floyd's marketing ploy he's managed to push himself to the top of the income chain w/o a close second while nice guy Manny still searches for ways to make even half the fight night purse Floyd rakes in (not to mention ppv). Manny is even trying to duel it out in other countries to avoid US taxes because he just isnt bringing in sadly what he feels he's worth.

I thought he would be making less total money fighting overseas, but would be actually taking home more because of the U.S. taxes. That just sounds like smart business to me.

I thought he would be making less total money fighting overseas, but would be actually taking home more because of the U.S. taxes. That just sounds like smart business to me.

It is smart. By fighting in China, Pace avoids around a 40% tax rate.

• Like 1

It is smart. By fighting in China, Pace avoids around a 40% tax rate.

Exactly. There is a 40% tax rate for foreign athletes. So it actually is very smart. But even with the lower tax rate in China, Manny still has Bob Arum's hands so deep in his pockets, Bob is scratching Manny's ankles (one of the biggest reasons why Floyd left Arum, as did ODH, as did Cotto). Manny should have left a long time ago. The whole argument about the earnings came from the point I was making about Floyd's marketing ploy. He uses this whole "villain" thing knowing that he'll have his supports and detractors but both will pay equally to watch him of course each for different reasons. Either way he's become the highest paid athlete on Earth. Pacquiao too has many supporters and detractors; only difference is his supporters pay to watch him fight, his detractors just wont pay at all.

Edited by T-REX1240

I've been telling anyone who would listen for the past year or so

BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR ERROL SPENCE.

He's the next big thing. Within the nxt few years, Errol will hold the throne at welterweight/middleweight and boxing p4p after Floyd retires. Guarantee.

Edited by T-REX1240

He's the next big thing. Within the nxt few years, Errol will hold the throne at welterweight/middleweight and boxing p4p after Floyd retires. Guarantee.

I'm thinking Mikey Garcia has a shot at p4p king, although it might be hard to get attention at the weight he fights.

I'm thinking Mikey Garcia has a shot at p4p king, although it might be hard to get attention at the weight he fights.

Actually Andre Ward should be holding down the top spot p4p but he only fights once every 5 years.

Edited by T-REX1240

Actually Andre Ward should be holding down the top spot p4p but he only fights once every 5 years.

Ward's a victim of his own success. He's convincingly beaten everybody who matters at 168, and 175 is devoid of names. People recognize his greatness, but are pretty indifferent about watching him fight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--floyd-mayweather-jr--needs-to-gamble-inside-the-ring-162733801.html

Yet if boxing's pound-for-pound king wants to give his legacy a long-lasting boost and provide the fight game and its loyal fans with a desperately needed injection of excitement, there is only one legitimate option – and it's not Canelo Alvarez.

That would be to fight Andre Ward, widely acclaimed as the second-best pound-for-pound boxer on the planet, a bigger man than Mayweather and an outstanding technician with a record (26-0) just as blemish-free as that held by "Money."

This is honestly one of the dumbest boxing articles I've read in quite some time, and thats saying something.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--floyd-mayweather-jr--needs-to-gamble-inside-the-ring-162733801.html

Yet if boxing's pound-for-pound king wants to give his legacy a long-lasting boost and provide the fight game and its loyal fans with a desperately needed injection of excitement, there is only one legitimate option – and it's not Canelo Alvarez.

That would be to fight Andre Ward, widely acclaimed as the second-best pound-for-pound boxer on the planet, a bigger man than Mayweather and an outstanding technician with a record (26-0) just as blemish-free as that held by "Money."

This is honestly one of the dumbest boxing articles I've read in quite some time, and thats saying something.

I always wanted to see Mayweather step up in competition, but even I'm not calling for him to.take on a super middleweight.

Another good night of boxing in store for us. On Showtime, Marcos Maidana vs. Josesito Lopez (147 lbs) and Erislandy Lara vs. Alfredo Angulo (154 lbs).  HBO has  Chad Dawson vs. Adonis Stevenson (175 lbs) and Yuriorkis Gamboa vs. Darley Perez (135 lbs).

Maidana by KO in 11

Angulo by SD

Dawson by UD

(Upset alert) Perez by UD (possibly TKO in 9)

Showtime definitely has the better lineup tonight.

Maidana/Lopez will be a good action fight. Hopefully that farce of fight Lopez had with Canelo doesn't manifest itself with long term effects on Lopez's game. Maidana has the power, but I'm thinking Lopez has more tricks in his bag. I'll go Lopez by close decision

Angulo/Lara is a contrast in styles. Lara will be boxing, Angulo will be trying to walk him down. Lara should be able to box circles around Angulo, but Angulo's power could change things if he lands a clean shot. Judges seem to hate Lara though, if it goes to a decision, no telling what happens. I'll say Lara finally gets the nod from the judges this time around.

Dawson over Stevenson by UD. Stevenson has the punch, but he's nowhere near as skilled as Dawson. Dawson's fight IQ can dip drastically fight to fight, so Stevenson is a live dog in this one.

Gamboa wins by (T)KO, but he hits the canvas again before it happens.