Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Did you watch the fight? I don't think a 2lb wight overage had much to do with the boxing clinic JMM was served up..

Actually Floyd weighed in 4lbs heavier than JMM and who.knows how much more he weighed on the night of the fight. Not to mention JMM was fighting at 130 about a year earlier.

Actually Floyd weighed in 4lbs heavier than JMM and who.knows how much more he weighed on the night of the fight. Not to mention JMM was fighting at 130 about a year earlier.

2 pounds over the catch weight, Marquez got destroyed that fight was just a step below the Gatti domination Floyd put on.

And if anyone's interested, the post fight press conferences is on CBS Sports.

---------- Post added May-5th-2013 at 02:13 AM ----------

This hurt hand thing is just an excuse to get out of a September fight. Not buying it.

2 pounds over the catch weight, Marquez got destroyed that fight was just a step below the Gatti domination Floyd put on.

That was some of Floyd's best defensive work

iE94RVVTiL0GV.jpg

i9ETE6XYjQnvY.gif

iXqyTW7oDxiK0.jpg

Marquez is considered on the best offensive fighters of his generation and he couldn't touch Mayweather.

This hurt hand thing is just an excuse to get out of a September fight. Not buying it.

It was visibly swollen in the ring during his interview. He's had hand issues going back to before he became a star. I wouldn't write it off as an excuse so fast.

Edited by StillUnknown

That was some of Floyd's best defensive work

http://i.minus.com/iE94RVVTiL0GV.jpg

I

http://i.minus.com/i9ETE6XYjQnvY.gif

http://i.minus.com/iXqyTW7oDxiK0.jpg

Marquez is considered on the best offensive fighters of his generation and he couldn't touch Mayweather.

It was visibly swollen in the ring during his interview. He's had hand issues going back to before he became a star. I wouldn't write it off as an excuse so fast.

I don't remember him.having any hand problems.in a long time and I didn't noticed any major swelling.

I don't remember him.having any hand problems.in a long time and I didn't noticed any major swelling.

Can't recall the opponent, but Floyd only "official" knockdown came when he broke his hand in a fight and it touched the canvas. Its a big part of the reason he switched to pot-shot style as he's gone up in weight. The Floyd at 130-140lbs worked with a lot more combinations.

Yeah if you look at Floyd's record, it is almost exclusively KO/TKO wins until about four years ago when he went up in weight classes by a significant amount.

Even back at 130 he didn't have 1 shot KO power, but he had enough pop to really punish people with combinations and get them out by the mid-to late rounds.

He still plans to fight in September and when asked about Alverez he has already set the motions to bypass that fight. He pretty much implied that Alverez loss to Trout.

Thats just negotiation speak, I don't expect anything to be announced until the end of June to be honest.

Edited by StillUnknown

If I were a betting man I'd bet we'll see Mayweather vs Khan or Lara and Alverez vs Cotto.

I had a friend over who thinks Khan would give Mayweather a good fight. I almost threw him out the house.

If I were a betting man I'd bet we'll see Mayweather vs Khan or Lara and Alverez vs Cotto.

I had a friend over who thinks Khan would give Mayweather a good fight. I almost threw him out the house.

Khan has the physical attributes to conceivably bother Mayweather, but he is so mentally weak. He's tall, rangy, one of few who can match Mayweather's handspeed, and has a great jab which will have to be present to threaten Mayweather. He fights like a dummy though, never uses his gifts in the best way.

I would see that fight playing out a lot like the Judah fight. Khan would have success the first 3-4 rounds, then Mayweather would shut him down.

Still a bull**** fight that I don't have an interest in seeing based on Khans last couple of performances. I think Mayweather would fight Danny Garcia before he considered Khan. Garcia would be more deserving than Khan, but I think Khan would be the tougher fight for Mayweather. Mayweather beats Khan 8-4, he beats Garcia 10-2

Edited by StillUnknown

Can't recall the opponent, but Floyd only "official" knockdown came when he broke his hand in a fight and it touched the canvas. Its a big part of the reason he switched to pot-shot style as he's gone up in weight. The Floyd at 130-140lbs worked with a lot more combinations.

Was arguing this earlier. It was Carlos Hernandez in round 6. Zab stunned him but it wasn't called a knockdown.

Doesn't Canelo fight for HBO? There could be a lot of obstacles to making that fight regardless of how much people want it.

When business gets in the way, we often don't get the fights we want.

Canelo is Golden Boy, HBO is no longer showing any Golden Boy Promotions fights. Canelo/Trout was on Showtime.

Doesn't Canelo fight for HBO? There could be a lot of obstacles to making that fight regardless of how much people want it.

When business gets in the way, we often don't get the fights we want.

No. Canelo is a Showtime fighter AND a Golden Boy fighter. If Floyd wants this fight, it can be made in a day.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--sources--manny-pacquiao-to-fight-brandon-rios-in-macau--china--on-nov--24-220328126.html

Manny Pacquiao will look to break a two-fight losing streak when he returns to the ring on Nov. 24 (Nov. 23 in the U.S.) at The Venetian in Macau, China, to fight Brandon Rios in a 12-round welterweight bout, Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz exclusively told Yahoo! Sports on Monday.

Pacquiao had also been considering Mike Alvarado, but Koncz said the choice to go with Rios was made because of the style matchup. Rios is a straight-ahead fighter who loves to get into a slugfest and it should make for a sensational television bout.

"Rios isn't going to get in there and dance around and run around," Koncz said. "He's going to come to fight. He'll move straight forward and try to brawl with Manny, and that's the kind of fight that will be very entertaining for the fans. Anyone who knows these two guys knows there's really no other way for them to fight."

Kind of pissed this is going to delay Alvarado/Rios 3

Manny's movement will be too much for Rios, as his adviser said, they want someone Manny can look good against. Rios has a chin, but he's not exactly hard to hit.

Edited by StillUnknown

Manny is being set up to look good; however, Rios can punch. He's not a great boxer, but he can bang. Wouldn't put it past him, to catch Manny sleeping and bust him up a bit. Still see Manny winning a decision, but you never know with Arum.

Those hoping for a Mayweather/Canelo fight,,,,

By Dan Ambrose: If Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26 KO’s) decides he wants to fight WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KO’s) then he can forget all about having the fight take place at welterweight for his 147 lb. WBC title, and he can also forget about the fight taking place at a catchweight of 150 lbs. to meet halfway, because Canelo can’t go before 154, says his promoter Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions.I would normally be highly suspicious at hearing a promoter say something like this, but given that Canelo rehydrated up to 172 pounds for his last fight against WBA junior middleweight champion Austin Trout last month, I totally believe Schaefer that Canelo simply can’t get below 154. He’s barely making weight at 154 before rehydrating up nearly 20 pounds to light heavyweight.

Schaefer said to Sportsillustrated.cnn.com that Canelo “cannot go lower than 154.”The last time Canelo tried to go below 154 was in his fight against welterweight Matthew Hatton when the two fighters fought for the vacant WBC junior middleweight title two years ago in March 2011.Don’t ask me why a welterweight was selected to face Canelo for the vacant title instead of one of the high ranking junior middleweights that the WBC had ranked at 154, but the World Boxing Council allowed Hatton to fight Canelo for the vacant title anyway despite Hatton not being ranked at junior middleweight.The two fighters had an agreed upon catchweight limit of 150 pounds, which Hatton easily made without any problems. But Canelo came in over the limit at 151.8 pounds.

Instead of the fight being called off, it took place anyway with Canelo still without the limit of the junior middleweight division but above the catchweight.That fight was two years ago, and now that Canelo is approach 23, he’s filled out and is more of super middleweight/light heavyweight fighting at junior middleweight. There’s no way Canelo is going to be able to get down to 150 or 147 to fight Mayweather.If Mayweather wants to fight Canelo then he’s going to have to fight him at junior middleweight, despite Canelo not being as popular as him. Mayweather will also likely have to deal with Canelo rehydrating up in weight way beyond what Mayweather has ever faced before.Mayweather has never fought a 172 pound fighter in the ring before, and if they’re not going to have a rehydration clause then there won’t be anything stopping Canelo from gaining as much weight as he wants to after making the 154 pound limit.I think Mayweather should forget all about fighting Canelo because he’s just way too heavy and it’s unlikely that he’ll agree to the catchweight or rehydration limit, and he definitely won’t come down to 147 to fight.If he can’t even make 150, the he sure isn’t going to make 147.Mayweather should focus on fighting guys from his division at 147 and let Canelo fight whoever Golden Boy drags up from 147 for him to fight in the junior middleweight division. I wonder how long Golden Boy will choose to match Canelo against fighters from the weight classes below him.

No way should Mayweather be fighting a guy who re-hydrates up to 172 by bell time. He'd be out of his mind.

This fight probably isn't going to happen and honestly I wouldn't blame either guy, the two fighters are just too far apart in weight and either one would be too handicapped trying to reach the other one's weight division.

BS. This is just another excuse by Floyd Mayweather to avoid a fight with someone who has a shot at beating him. As we know Floyd is a glorified Golden Boy fighter. With that being said, Alvarez probably doesn't want the fight as much as he claims. We'll get Mayweather vs either Khan or Alexander and Alvarez vs Cotto. None of those fights should interest anyone.

And rumor has it that last week's Mayweather/Guerrero fight brought way less than a million buys

Edited by DM72

BS. This is just another excuse by Floyd Mayweather to avoid a fight with someone who has a shot at beating him. As we know Floyd is a glorified Golden Boy fighter. With that being said, Alvarez probably doesn't want the fight as much as he claims. We'll get Mayweather vs either Khan or Alexander and Alvarez vs Cotto. None of those fights should interest anyone.

And rumor has it that last week's Mayweather/Guerrero fight brought way less than a million buys

Not surprised at the ppv number, Guerrero was a virtual unknown before the Berto fight. Its hard to move a million if the B side doesn't bring much to the table. Similar to when Manny fought Clottey, it only pulled 700k because Clottey was unknown and there was no mystery about what would happen.

Not surprised at the ppv number, Guerrero was a virtual unknown before the Berto fight. Its hard to move a million if the B side doesn't bring much to the table. Similar to when Manny fought Clottey, it only pulled 700k because Clottey was unknown and there was no mystery about what would happen.

LOL. And I remember Floyd and his fans picking at Pacquiao when his fight with Bradley didn't do great PPV numbers. Until he starts fighting guys that have a shot of beating him (just a handful of guys), his 1.2 million days are over.