Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fighter-removed-padding-gloves-prior-championship-bout-says-173300308.html

MORE CHEATING IN BOXING!

Tragedy in a boxing ring was possibly averted last Saturday, but few
in the U.S. media have cared to report on it. Blame this on the incident
taking place in Mexico or blame it on the fact that it happened in a
female boxing match, but whatever the case, hardly anyone knows about
something that could've ended the life of a world class fighter on live
TV.

Last Saturday, July 13, at the Centro de Convenciones in Leon,
Guanajuato, Mexico, Japanese super flyweight, Riyo Togo, was allegedly
found to be wearing doctored gloves prior to her bout with Mexico's
Mariana Juarez.

*** Rest of story at above link ***

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/la-barbie-juarez-avenges-loss-to-togo-wins-unanimous-decision-212628#more-212628

Togo and her team should be banned for life. This is just crazy. Boxing is already a dangerous enough. There is no need for this. Glad Togo lost, but Karma should have had Togo get KTFO!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/julio-cesar-chavez-jr-cuts-professional-ties-father-144800859.html

Chavez Sr no longer a part of Chavez Jr's boxing career.

When Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. returns to the ring this September 7
against Brian Vera at The Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, it
will be his first bout since Sergio Martinez derailed his express train
to stardom last September 15. And if the second generation star has his
way, it'll be his first bout completely out of the shadow of his
legendary fighter.

The 27-year-old Hijo del Leyenda (Son of the Legend) has spent
ten months fixated on the tangled mess surrounding his first career loss
and has come to blame outside factors for his eleven and one-half
rounds of stupefied ambivalence that cost him the WBC middleweight
title.

"The worst part was that I lost because of what happened outside of the ring," Chavez Jr. told
El Universal. "It wasn't a defeat in the ring. I lost outside the ring
because of many reasons, like family problems, problems with my team, my
life was out of control. That's what hurt the most."

To fix matters, Jr. has focused on the loudest, apparently most distracting part of his professional life--- his father.

*** See more at link above ***

Not sure if the father is the main problem. From watching his last 24/7 on HBO, Jr couldn't stay focused. He disrespected Freddie Roach and had him looking like a fool. With or without his dad, he needs to take the sport serious. If not, there will be more losses and there will be no one to blame but himself.  Also, he did get special treatment because of his name. That's life, when you're the son a boxing legend. Deal with it Jr. A name change isn't the answer.

That was most definitely a defeat inside the ring. Sergio schooled him for 11 rounds.

JCCJr is who he is as a fighter. He'll feast on fringe contender that he outweighs by a massive amount on fight night, but will get schooled whenever he steps up to fight somebody better than average.

Sergio Martinez was just his first wake-up call that just because your father was a legend, doesn't mean you will become one too.

JCCJr will probably have a decent career, beating lesser opponents, always on the fringe outside of being a top fighter, he will probably get some token belts along the way due to so many federations and classes, but he doesn't have "it" which makes an elite fighter.

Great fight, but what is it with fighters these days that they have to touch gloves all the time? Be friends after the fight.

Just 2 warriors acknowledging that they are putting on something special. I see it as a measure of respect, nothing more than that.

• Like 1

Berto is incredibly flawed as a fighter, but the man has a fighter's heart. He's down on the scorecard, fighting with one arm, but he's giving a genuine effort.

I agree with your last couple post 100% why was Berto starting the fight with the shoulder roll. This entire fight I have yet to see him use his guard and actually block or defect a punch.

That being said the guy is 100% heart his career is done but this effort with 1 arm is amazing.

Berto has ZERO footwork

Berto's career is over and no way was this fight a draw going into the 12th.

His career as a "contender" are over, but he'll still get fights if he wants them. He's a good bet to put on an action fight, but he's flawed enough that Golden Boy won't really fear putting a prospect in with him. They'll use him as a stepping stone for one or two more fights before they discard him.

His career as a "contender" are over, but he'll still get fights if he wants them. He's a good bet to put on an action fight, but he's flawed enough that Golden Boy won't really fear putting a prospect in with him. They'll use him as a stepping stone for one or two more fights before they discard him.

That's what I meant. He's Zab Judah.

yeah, Berto is now a gateway fighter. He can still make some money off that.

And I agree completely about his footwork. That was the first thing I noticed about him when he was coming up. He doesnt move.

Still I wonder what his career would be like if he fought Mosley in 2009.

Edited by JoeWolf990

No defense and he fights flat footed. Shane by KO. Berto doesn't adjust in the ring and his corner was horrible. Don't remember which fight, either the Ortiz or Guerrero fight, he had multiple people telling him what to do. Think it was his brother, the trainer and someone else yelling at him. He didn't respond well and got beat.

dude you watched the Donaire, Rigondeaux fight right?  Where Rigondeaux only threw one light pitty pat punch at a time and ran away as the crowd booed him out of the building?  Love boxing but his style is beyond boring.

Rigondeaux took Donaire to school that night. That was nothing short of a boxing lesson. Just because he doesn't put on a Figueroa-Awarkawa every time out and doesn't take endless punishment, def shouldn't put him in the "boring" category. But I guess if you're looking for action-packed brawls with little to no defense than Rigo is not your guy. 

So do you think Ward, Marquez and Mayweather too are like watching paint dry?

Edited by T-REX1240
  • Like 1