Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

• 2 weeks later...
I tend to agree. From an excitement standpoint, this is a huge stepdown. But Alexander is a young slickster and he has looked good since his lost to Bradley.

I can't shake the image of him getting schooled by Kotelnik a couple of years ago, one of a couple of gift decisions Alexander received.

Edited by StillUnknown

Mayweather Jr Says Devon Alexander Frontrunner For May 4 Fight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/floyd-mayweather-jr-says-devon-alexander-front-runner-063000447--box.html

Devon's not a bum, but he's a defensive fighter with little power. Not exactly a great risk by Mayweather.

This is ridiculous, if Mayweather fights Alexander I WILL NOT BUY 100% this fight is a joke. And Alexander IS a BUM. He had potential until he was exposed by Bradley, his last fight he should have lost or look terrible in it can't remember I just remember being really disappointed. Alexander doesn't belong in the same arena as Mayweather unless he is on the under card and thats not the one before the main event. Only way I can see this point of view by Mayweather if he is questioning his skills after his jail sentence and wants a "tune up fight" but he needs too mention it.

This is ridiculous, if Mayweather fights Alexander I WILL NOT BUY 100% this fight is a joke. And Alexander IS a BUM. He had potential until he was exposed by Bradley, his last fight he should have lost or look terrible in it can't remember I just remember being really disappointed. Alexander doesn't belong in the same arena as Mayweather unless he is on the under card and thats not the one before the main event. Only way I can see this point of view by Mayweather if he is questioning his skills after his jail sentence and wants a "tune up fight" but he needs too mention it.

LOL. Damn. May's fans are actually calling him out for a change. Even the Bleacher Report Mayweather fans don't like this. Seriously though, there's a lot better options than Devon Alexander.

agree 100%...Canelo Alvarez is the fight I want to see

---------- Post added February-7th-2013 at 01:14 PM ----------

agree 100%...Canelo Alvarez is the fight I want to see

Outside of an aging Mosley, who has he really beaten?

Josesito Lopez, Kermit Cintron, Alfonzo Gomez, Lovermore Ndou, Carlos Baldomire.

I'd actually say all the above besides Ndou were more impressive victories than Mosley....Mosley has been finished for a couple years now.

None of these guys are great, but they are good enough to show that Canelo is the real deal....he didn't just beat these guys, he demolished them. He has crushed everyone he's fought the past five years. Who else do you want him to beat (or how many more guys do you want him to beat) before he gets to face off against one of the top fighters in his division?

Kermit Cintron? The last I remember about is him jumping out of the ring against Williams and Baldomire was past his prime. There was Martinez, Williams, Margarito, Cotto, Bradley and Chavez Jr that would have given him a test. And I'm not saying he needed to fight all of them, but he could have fought at least one of them to gain some more credibility.

Josesito Lopez, Kermit Cintron, Alfonzo Gomez, Lovermore Ndou, Carlos Baldomire.

I'd actually say all the above besides Ndou were more impressive victories than Mosley....Mosley has been finished for a couple years now.

None of these guys are great, but they are good enough to show that Canelo is the real deal....he didn't just beat these guys, he demolished them. He has crushed everyone he's fought the past five years. Who else do you want him to beat (or how many more guys do you want him to beat) before he gets to face off against one of the top fighters in his division?

Hard to count anybody on that list as a quality win. They were "move a young fighter along" fights. Lopez was the only one still in his prime, and he's a natural 140lb fighter, he had no business fighting Canelo at 154.

While Canelo really hasn't been tested, I'll give him somewhat of a pass because he has scheduled good fights that fell apart for various reasons (Victor Ortiz/Kirkland/Paul Williams)

Edited by StillUnknown

Hard to count anybody on that list as a quality win. They were "move a young fighter along" fights. Lopez was the only one still in his prime, and he's a natural 140lb fighter, he had no business fighting Canelo at 154.

While Canelo really hasn't been tested, I'll give him somewhat of a pass because he has scheduled good fights that fell apart for various reasons (Victor Ortiz/Kirkland/Paul Williams)

I would have loved to see Canelo vs. Kirkland....that could have had the makings of a slug-fest.

---------- Post added February-8th-2013 at 08:51 AM ----------

Kermit Cintron? The last I remember about is him jumping out of the ring against Williams and Baldomire was past his prime. There was Martinez, Williams, Margarito, Cotto, Bradley and Chavez Jr that would have given him a test. And I'm not saying he needed to fight all of them, but he could have fought at least one of them to gain some more credibility.

The question is...would any of these guys have fought him? I can't see Bradley or Chavez fighting Canelo. Cotto will fight anyone..so that could have been an interesting match. If I was a fighter, I wouldn't step foot in the ring with Margarito in fear he'd use a weapon in the fight and potentially cause permanent damage to my brain.

---------- Post added February-8th-2013 at 08:52 AM ----------

The question is...would any of these guys have fought him? I can't see Bradley or Chavez fighting Canelo. Cotto will fight anyone..so that could have been an interesting match. If I was a fighter, I wouldn't step foot in the ring with Margarito in fear he'd use a weapon in the fight and potentially cause permanent damage to my brain.

---------- Post added February-8th-2013 at 08:54 AM ----------

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/2/8/3969424/donaire-vs-rigondeaux-fight-reportedly-done-april-13-new-york-hbo-boxing-news

A fight between Nonito Donaire and Guillermo Rigondeaux was on, then it looked like it might be off again, and now, it appears to be back on, as Gabriel Montoya reports on Twitter today that a fight is "signed, sealed, and delivered" for April 13. The bout will air on HBO from Radio City Music Hall in New York.

Gotta respect Donaire for taking this fight. Rigondeaux is not a draw at all, but he is one of only a couple of a fighters who can actually present problems for Donaire.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/2/15/3993662/mayweather-vs-guerrero-canelo-vs-trout-announcement-reportedly-coming-soon

According to a report out of Mexico via Univision, an announcement is coming soon that will finalize the big May 4 pay-per-view event headlined by Floyd Mayweather vs Robert Guerrero, with a fight between Canelo Alvarez and Austin Trout as the main undercard bout.

Alvarez also said he's fighting Trout via Twitter.

The report cites a Golden Boy matchmaker, Robert Diaz, who is in Mexico for a fight this weekend, and said that the fights will soon be announced in Los Angeles.

Mayweather-Guerrero has been expected for over a month now, while Canelo-Trout was the fight many hoped to see the young Mexican star take, but few, it seemed, actually believed would happen. They are the top two fighters at the moment in the 154-pound division, and there's no argument that Trout represents the step up in class that has been begged of Canelo and Golden Boy.

To Alvarez's credit, Diaz says Golden Boy presented other options, but Canelo wanted Austin Trout. He's heard the fans, and he's heard the media, and he wants to prove himself. Everyone said Austin Trout, and he apparently will face Austin Trout.

I may actually buy that PPV if Canelo/Trout is real.

Edited by StillUnknown

Broner is Floyd Mayweather with a little more power.

He's not Floyd at all. Floyd would never have allowed Rees to hit him as clean as Broner got hit early. He may be a better offensive fighter than Floyd at a comparable age though.

Can't really compare him to the greats yet, that comes with accomplishment. There is no comp or names left at 135, he has to go to 140 to get recognition as one of the games best. On a pure talent level, he's a total package.

Edited by StillUnknown

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/2/19/4005252/floyd-mayweather-shakes-up-boxing-signs-six-fight-deal-showtime

Floyd Mayweather has signed a six-fight deal with Showtime/CBS, which is absolutely blockbuster news that changes the landscape of American boxing, and signals the true arrival of Showtime Sports as a direct and extremely serious competitor for HBO Sports, which has been the No. 1 boxing network in the States for decades.

The deal spans 30 months, and Mayweather will next fight on May 4, when he'll face Robert Guerrero for the WBC welterweight championship. That fight is official, though a proper press conference and all that has not happened yet.

This move cannot be oversold. This puts HBO's back to the wall in a major way, and is an incredible, downright shocking move from Mayweather, who has been an HBO loyalist over his career, and made himself a superstar via their "24/7" vehicle, which he helped launch in 2007. Since then, he has been, along with Manny Pacquiao, the face of boxing, and the face of HBO boxing specifically.

Leonard Ellerbe tells Dan Rafael that HBO made a substantial offer, but Showtime/CBS simply offered a lot more, saying HBO brought a knife to a gun fight.

The biggest pay-per-view star in the sport has jumped ship to the "B-team." They're not going to be the B-team anymore.

That is a stunner, Mayweather's last 23 fights have all been on HBO.

HBO better pray Broner can carry a PPV soon, and that he doesn't jump to Showtime at the first available opportunity. Showtime & Golden Boy getting closer.

Edited by StillUnknown