Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Don't want to see Shane fight anymore. His best days are behind him. Should have went out on top with the Margarito fight. Floyd took him to school and Shane really started showing his age in that fight. The Mora fight was just ugly. Shane doesn't have it anymore. I agree he's only fighting for the money (divorce got him financially strapped). Shane's only chance is to catch Manny with a big shot. He still has the power, but does he have the speed to pull the trigger, while getting pummelled by Manny. Would rather see Manny against Marquez or Berto. Marquez wants revenge for their 1st two fights. But Berto is just as fast, with enough power in both fists to make the fight very interesting. Neither guy is a big draw and it's usually all about the money. Arum doesn't want to see Manny lose, that's why he's taking the safe fight with Shane. Who knows, maybe Shane goes out on his shield and gives Manny all he can handle and then some, until he gets KTFO.

• 1 month later...

the first important fight of 2011 is tonight on HBO: Timothy Bradley vs. Devon Alexander

i'm rooting for Alexander, but the mind tells me that Bradley wins due to his more consistent production offensively and Alexander's defensive lapses. neither fighter has much power so i expect it to go the distance.

on a sidenote, how does a fight between a man from Cali & the other from St. Louis end up in the economic hell hole that is Michigan? that place will be empty as hell, unless they start handing out freebies

Edited by StillUnknown

Thought this was a good place for this:

Fight Night Champion comes out March 1st 2011.

I have downloaded the demo for PS3 and im in love with the game. On the demo there are 4 fighters to choose from.

Tyson, Ali, Coto and Pacquiao

Hopefully I'll see some of you online!

Pics are floating around the internet of Floyd Mayweather and Bob Arum together at a SB party looking very friendly. There are a ton of things that must be sorted out first (Floyd's numerous legal problems, Pacquiao destroying Mosley) but if Mayweather (whose pretty much his own promoter) and Pacquiao's promoter are on speaking terms and are friendly then the fight has a way better chance of happening for sure.

EDIT: They both sat in Jerry Jones box and were invited by him....Pacquiao-Mayweather in July @ Cowboys Stadium...get it ****ing done

Edited by WALEOVECHKIN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I forget his name, but if the dude from the Ravens fought a real boxer, he'd get killed. IMO, he looked like an amature.

he basically is an amateur, its only his 2nd fight. nobody fights real competition that early in their career.

that being said, its ridiculous they gave him a spot on the televised card

Cotto defeated Mayorga by stoppage in the 12th rd in one of the best one sided fights that I can remember. Mayorga's stock probably rose more than Cotto's.

---------- Post added March-13th-2011 at 01:27 AM ----------

he basically is an amateur, its only his 2nd fight. nobody fights real competition that early in their career.

that being said, its ridiculous they gave him a spot on the televised card

When I say he looked like an amature, I mean he looked like he had very little skills. He wouldn't beat a class B fighter.

That Martinez?

That appears to be Donaire, can't see his face though I remember Donaire's knockout similar to that.

On a side note last night on HBO Championship Boxing

Fight #1

Andy Lee won but looked very bad and his upright stance would be easily defeatable for someone like Martinez or any of the upper tier middle weights. Lee knocked out an exhausted McSomething (Scots man) in the final round (10) of their fight. Lee mostly won because the other guy was out on his feet tired.

Fight #2

Martinez has won me over as a fan, he changed his game plan to basically beat a better jabber with his own jab. He was faster the entire night and made a good solid fighter look bad. He knocked Dzinziruck down 5 times I think before they stopped it in the 8th I believe. I actually thought Dzinziruck was coming back around this time then out of nowhere beautiful combo punch up the middle put him down in a way that he got up but could never recover fully from before the fight was eventually stopped.

Can't wait to watch Kirkland get into better shape and eventually challenge Martinez. He's probably the only one that could do it other than maybe a Paul Williams rubber match.

That appears to be Donaire, can't see his face though I remember Donaire's knockout similar to that.

On a side note last night on HBO Championship Boxing

Fight #1

Andy Lee won but looked very bad and his upright stance would be easily defeatable for someone like Martinez or any of the upper tier middle weights. Lee knocked out an exhausted McSomething (Scots man) in the final round (10) of their fight. Lee mostly won because the other guy was out on his feet tired.

Fight #2

Martinez has won me over as a fan, he changed his game plan to basically beat a better jabber with his own jab. He was faster the entire night and made a good solid fighter look bad. He knocked Dzinziruck down 5 times I think before they stopped it in the 8th I believe. I actually thought Dzinziruck was coming back around this time then out of nowhere beautiful combo punch up the middle put him down in a way that he got up but could never recover fully from before the fight was eventually stopped.

Can't wait to watch Kirkland get into better shape and eventually challenge Martinez. He's probably the only one that could do it other than maybe a Paul Williams rubber match.

Pefectly stated on all accounts

I think Martinez would box circles around Kirkland, but man Kirkland is on the most exciting fighters in the game. He definitely needs a couple more "get back" fights before fighting Sergio. He's only fought 1 round since getting out of prison

its amazing how much better Martinez has gotten as he's aged. Dude has changed from a very good boxer, to an elite boxer with killer instinct

Pefectly stated on all accounts

I think Martinez would box circles around Kirkland, but man Kirkland is on the most exciting fighters in the game. He definitely needs a couple more "get back" fights before fighting Sergio. He's only fought 1 round since getting out of prison

its amazing how much better Martinez has gotten as he's aged. Dude has changed from a very good boxer, to an elite boxer with killer instinct

I'd definetly agree that Martinez would beat Kirkland at this point and probably at any point this year if they were to fight even towards December. I did get to see Kirkland fight one time back with his woman trainer, whom was very good by the way but has since left him since he got in trouble, but I can't remember but the following about him.

Kirkland is ferocious, very cut, shorter arms, killer instinct and very good power. The fight I witnessed he simply destroyed the opponent and reminded me a lot of the young tyson in terms of just how pissed he seemed to show through his posture and nearly in each punch. I did catch the snipit from last weekend about how he won in 40 some seconds of the first round, this also looked like his opponent was simply scared along with Kirkland wanting to destroy someone since prison.

On a side note, like you said, he will not beat Martinez without learning to adapt his style some because he does come straight ahead almost like a bull with nothing on his mind but to get you. I think Martinez would adapt and use his speed to punch and move out of the way probably with less combinations until he figured out Kirklands power. Would be an easy game plan though to win if he stuck to something like Mayweather vs De La Hoya (with a little less actual running away from him).

However, with Martinez the one weekness I did see last night was he is willing to exchange punches a little too often. So his chin is just left wide open and if he runs up against someone that can make him pay power wise with a little faster draw than Kelly Pavlik (Whom isn't that fast) it could mean the end of his reign in a very similar way that Roy Jones Jr. experienced.

Another fighter that could get to him (pending on how he is handled) Saul Alvarez aka Canelo. He is very young only being 20 but he looked real good last weekend. Again I don't think he can beat Martinez right now or at any point this year but depending on whom he can fight during the year and the progress he could make then we'll see next year.

Good to see someone else in SC likes boxing though.

I'd definetly agree that Martinez would beat Kirkland at this point and probably at any point this year if they were to fight even towards December. I did get to see Kirkland fight one time back with his woman trainer, whom was very good by the way but has since left him since he got in trouble, but I can't remember but the following about him.

Kirkland is ferocious, very cut, shorter arms, killer instinct and very good power. The fight I witnessed he simply destroyed the opponent and reminded me a lot of the young tyson in terms of just how pissed he seemed to show through his posture and nearly in each punch. I did catch the snipit from last weekend about how he won in 40 some seconds of the first round, this also looked like his opponent was simply scared along with Kirkland wanting to destroy someone since prison.

I didn't realize Ann Wolfe wasn't training Kirkland anymore, they seemed like a good match personality wise. Ann's been through hell herself, and she seemed to know how bring out that aggression in James. She had him doing some pretty unorthodox training as well, I specifically remember him hitting a heavy bag attached to the back of a pick up while she was driving :ols:

She was a pretty good tactician as well from what I remember, even if James didn't always follow her instruction.

On a side note, like you said, he will not beat Martinez without learning to adapt his style some because he does come straight ahead almost like a bull with nothing on his mind but to get you. I think Martinez would adapt and use his speed to punch and move out of the way probably with less combinations until he figured out Kirklands power. Would be an easy game plan though to win if he stuck to something like Mayweather vs De La Hoya (with a little less actual running away from him).

However, with Martinez the one weekness I did see last night was he is willing to exchange punches a little too often. So his chin is just left wide open and if he runs up against someone that can make him pay power wise with a little faster draw than Kelly Pavlik (Whom isn't that fast) it could mean the end of his reign in a very similar way that Roy Jones Jr. experienced.

Martinez has the look of a fighter that knows he's at the top of his game and feels confident enough in his movement and reflexes. Dropping his hands the way he did against a good boxer in Dzinziruk told me his confidence is at new levels. That same confidence will come back to hurt him eventually. At some point father time will catch him, like he catches everybody else. I still think he can be overwhelmed though. In all his close fights, and losses, he was pressured by an onslaught of punches from his opposition. I think he's the kind of fighter that you can break as long as you don't get frustrated by his movement. Even Pavlik got to him for some rounds in their fight.

Another fighter that could get to him (pending on how he is handled) Saul Alvarez aka Canelo. He is very young only being 20 but he looked real good last weekend. Again I don't think he can beat Martinez right now or at any point this year but depending on whom he can fight during the year and the progress he could make then we'll see next year.

Good to see someone else in SC likes boxing though.

I'm not quite sold on Canelo, but then again, he's nowhere near his prime yet. I think right now, he gets hit too much for the opposition he's facing. I think he'll always be a crowd favorite because when he loses, it will be because he goes down on his shield. But to your point, by the time Canelo is ready for Martinez, Martinez skills should be faded enough that Canelo will have a great shot at beating him.

Just caught the Lee/McEwan replay on HBO. That was arguably--off the top of my head--the best ending and comeback I've seen since the Corrales/Castillo 10th Round. Obviously it doesn't even tickle the energy and relevance of Corrales/Castillo but I like that it stretched over two rounds and wasn't just a flash knockout.

• 3 weeks later...

HBO PPV: Erik Morales vs Marcos Maidana

I forgot about this PPV. Wasn't interested in seeing Morales get beat up, but he put on a good fight according to several boxing sites. Was surprised about the James Kirkland vs Nobuhiro Ishida fight result. Figured Kirkland would KO him quick, but the opposite happened, Kirkland was stopped in round 1. Kirkland needs to work on his defense. In boxing, one good punch can change a fight.

http://www.boxinghighlights.info/ishida-ko-kirkland-video/

Nobuhiro Ishida: “As you know, Japan had a very big earthquake. It makes me happy and proud to come to the United States and win for my country. He [Kirkland] didn’t expect this from me. He didn’t respect what we had. Kirkland kept coming forward at me and so I kept going with my right, my right, my right and it worked. I had my country on my side and now I’m ready for a world title shot.”

James Kirkland: “I don’t know why they stopped the fight. There is not a three knockdown rule in Vegas. I’m really upset right now. That was a messed up call. I was telling him I wanted to keep fighting. He [ishida] wasn’t anything. He had no power. This was messed up.”

Way to talk trash after being KO'ed. :ols: