Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Yeah, but doesn't Broner takes a lot of advice from his "big brother?" Make a lot of money by taking the safer fights.

Anyway, I suppose both fighters need to be dominate for another couple of years to become a fight everyone craves to see.

The fight could've happened a lot sooner, but Broner wants to waste time fighting somebody who had problems with the guy Mosley just beat.

The fight could've happened a lot sooner, but Broner wants to waste time fighting somebody who had problems with the guy Mosley just beat.

That's exactly my point. He'll end up fighting guys like Alexander and Garcia. Good fighters, but not particularly dangerous fighters.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to give it up to Floyd. I didn't think he would fight Alverez. But it is funny he's fighting him at a catchweight considering all the flack.he gave Pacquiao for the very samething.

I'm surprised at how easy it came together. In the boxing world, that negotiation was pretty quiet.

I'm expecting around 1.7mil ppv buys. Canelo has a strong following, but nowhere near what De La Hoya had when they set the ppv buy record.

I am also curious as to how they fill out the undercard

Edited by StillUnknown

I have to give it up to Floyd. I didn't think he would fight Alverez. But it is funny he's fighting him at a catchweight considering all the flack.he gave Pacquiao for the very samething.

Bro stop w the mayweather hatred already. Floyd fought his last fight at wat 145lbs?? Canelo at 172?? Ya makes total sense to cater to the naturally bigger fighter

• Like 1

Bro stop w the mayweather hatred already. Floyd fought his last fight at wat 145lbs?? Canelo at 172?? Ya makes total sense to cater to the naturally bigger fighter

Does Floyd hold a title at super welterweight? Yes or no.

Canelo is on his way up in the sport but has he beaten anyone really impressive on his resume yet?  Didn't he just squeak out a decision against Austin Trout?

Still, his size, even coming down in weight (because he definitely won't be close to 152 by bell time) will still be something to factor in during the fight.

I think Mayweather's skills will once again prevail though but he has less margin of error in this fight.

He did beat Austin Trout who is pretty good. The one thing that worries me about Alverez is his stamina.

Agreed, 100%. I was thinking abour that last night. He can't box himself out against Floyd like he did against Trout. Canelo came out firing, but started to slow down in the middle rounds, and Trout didn't take advantage of it. Floyd won't make that same mistake, not to mention that he is harder to hit than Trout, which could even further put Canelo in a pickle. He has to pick his spots carefully or he might get shut out, and end up having to go for the KO

Edited by Mr. Sinister

He did beat Austin Trout who is pretty good. The one thing that worries me about Alverez is his stamina.

I don't like catchweights, but I actually think the 152 might benefit Canelo in the long run. He'll have to watch his weight all throughout camp, which isn't a necessarily a bad thing. He's used to doing a massive cut in the days leading up to the fight, maybe now he'll approach his weight from a long term view. Instead of walking into the ring at 172lbs, he might come in around 166-168. He'd still have a massive size edge over Floyd, but his cardio might be a bit better.

I haven't begun any hardcore analysis for this fight, but I'm thinking Canelo's lack of a consistent jab will be his downfall in the fight. If he tries to come at Mayweather with just power shots, he's not quick enough to consistently catch Mayweather. Right now, I'm thinking Floyd wins something like 116-112.

I'm gonna be in Vegas that weekend and I'm thinking about going to this fight. Now how in the world does some of these ticket brokers already have seats for sale at no less than $500 and all the way up to over $20,000 considering the fight was announced just last night?

I'm gonna be in Vegas that weekend and I'm thinking about going to this fight. Now how in the world does some of these ticket brokers already have seats for sale at no less than $500 and all the way up to over $20,000 considering the fight was announced just last night?

I would imagine those connected to venue & ticket sales had advance notice that the fight was close to being announced. With an event this big, people who will make money off it will always be ahead of the curve.

Does Floyd hold a title at super welterweight? Yes or no.

Yes he does. Yet he's never even come close to weighing in at the 154lb limit and even weighed in under the Welterweight limit in his last fight. While Canelo regularly walks in the ring on fight night 170-175lbs so how is giving up 20+ lbs fair in any way? If Floyd were calling out Featherweights and Lightweights he'd be completely destroyed in the media. Yet he gets bashed for trying to make the fight close to fair...

What other 147lber would walk into the ring at 149-150 and take on a fighter 170+ ??

Yes he does. Yet he's never even come close to weighing in at the 154lb limit and even weighed in under the Welterweight limit in his last fight. While Canelo regularly walks in the ring on fight night 170-175lbs so how is giving up 20+ lbs fair in any way? If Floyd were calling out Featherweights and Lightweights he'd be completely destroyed in the media. Yet he gets bashed for trying to make the fight close to fair...

What other 147lber would walk into the ring at 149-150 and take on a fighter 170+ ??

I actually have no problems with the catchweight. It was Floyd who had a problem with it when Pacquiao does it, most noticeably in his fight against Cotto. And I quote, "IMO, Cotto's still undefeated because he was cheated by Margarito and he was drained against Pacquiao." Those were Floyd's words. I would like to ask him if he beats Alvarez, will Alvarez still be undefeated because he was drained?

I actually have no problems with the catchweight. It was Floyd who had a problem with it when Pacquiao does it, most noticeably in his fight against Cotto. And I quote, "IMO, Cotto's still undefeated because he was cheated by Margarito and he was drained against Pacquiao." Those were Floyd's words. I would like to ask him if he beats Alvarez, will Alvarez still be undefeated because he was drained?

Seriously? I mean lets look at the facts here:

Cotto never fought above Welterweight until AFTER the Pacquiao fight. Manny fought De Le Hoya @147 (sadly a weight he'd last made over a decade prior) yet he decided to drain Cotto to a catchweight of 145. After that fight is when Cotto realized he would never fight below 54 again. Manny offered Cotto the rematch at a catchweight of 150, Cotto declined and instead fought Floyd at 54. Right now Cotto's avg fight night weight is 160 and he campaigns at 154.

Canelo campaigns at 154 with an avg fight night weight around 172, nearly 20lbs heavier than his weight class. Floyd walks around @147. Fights at 47 and generally weighs 47 on fight night. Yet and still he didnt flex his muscle and insist that Canelo come to 47 or there is no fight. He made the fight closer to 54 than 47 which is still commendable given the circumstances.

So once again, how many other fighters can you name that would be comfortable giving up 20+ lbs with their belts on the line? I understand what you're saying about the clear contradiction but Floyd fighting Canelo with no catchweight would be equivalent to Floyd fighting Ward w/o one. It just doesn't make sense. I mean somewhere you must draw the line. I understand the whole "fight at comfortable weight" thing but like I said, where do you draw the line? If one of the Klitschko brothers also decided to hop on the "let's call out Mayweather and get a big pay day" bandwagon should Mayweather also accept and fight at their "comfortable weight"?

Seriously? I mean lets look at the facts here:

Cotto never fought above Welterweight until AFTER the Pacquiao fight. Manny fought De Le Hoya @147 (sadly a weight he'd last made over a decade prior) yet he decided to drain Cotto to a catchweight of 145. After that fight is when Cotto realized he would never fight below 54 again. Manny offered Cotto the rematch at a catchweight of 150, Cotto declined and instead fought Floyd at 54. Right now Cotto's avg fight night weight is 160 and he campaigns at 154.

Canelo campaigns at 154 with an avg fight night weight around 172, nearly 20lbs heavier than his weight class. Floyd walks around @147. Fights at 47 and generally weighs 47 on fight night. Yet and still he didnt flex his muscle and insist that Canelo come to 47 or there is no fight. He made the fight closer to 54 than 47 which is still commendable given the circumstances.

So once again, how many other fighters can you name that would be comfortable giving up 20+ lbs with their belts on the line? I understand what you're saying about the clear contradiction but Floyd fighting Canelo with no catchweight would be equivalent to Floyd fighting Ward w/o one. It just doesn't make sense. I mean somewhere you must draw the line. I understand the whole "fight at comfortable weight" thing but like I said, where do you draw the line? If one of the Klitschko brothers also decided to hop on the "let's call out Mayweather and get a big pay day" bandwagon should Mayweather also accept and fight at their "comfortable weight"?

You make some good points, but you can't call out someone for something and then turn around and do the samething. Floyd's fans call Pacquiao the catchweight king. Are they gonna say the samething about Floyd?

You make some good points, but you can't call out someone for something and then turn around and do the samething. Floyd's fans call Pacquiao the catchweight king. Are they gonna say the samething about Floyd?

Manny was known as the catchweight king because his "big" fights he damanded catchweights. Floyd has never had a problem giving up a few pounds but again I ask Where do you draw the line? I won't call Floyd catchweight king because he has shown on multiple occassions he doesnt need catchweights to win a title. Manny has not.

Over the past few years, who else besides Cotto did Pacquiao fight at a catchweight? Do we forget Floyd fought JMM at a catchweight and came in over the agreed upon weight and got fined?

Over the past few years, who else besides Cotto did Pacquiao fight at a catchweight? Do we forget Floyd fought JMM at a catchweight and came in over the agreed upon weight and got fined?

Just to answer your first question off the top of my head I will tell you Paq also proposed a catchweight for Oscar DLH and Antonia Margarito.

As for your 2nd question, Floyd didnt request that catchweight, Marquez did.

Bradley/Marquez is being moved from September 14th to October 12th. Arum is crazy, but he's not stupid.

Was thinking of some undecard bouts that could go on the PPV:

Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse: No chance it actually happens, but it would push the card to another level. Not to mention, its a big enough fight to stand as a main event for a Showtime card. Selfishly, I'm holding out hope it lands in the Verizon Center.

Victor Ortiz vs. Amir Khan: Probably won't happen because I'm not sure either fighter can withstand another high profile loss, but this would be a damn good action fight. Khan's weak chin vs. Ortiz's weak mind. If Khan looks impressive, he positions himself as a possible candidate for Floyd's next fight. In boxing, one great win can make people forgetful of past troubles. 

Leo Santa Cruz vs. Anybody: Don't really care who he fights, just put him on the card, guaranteed action.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Just to answer your first question off the top of my head I will tell you Paq also proposed a catchweight for Oscar DLH and Antonia Margarito.

As for your 2nd question, Floyd didnt request that catchweight, Marquez did.

First, I don't believe he fought De La Hoya at a catchweight. I believe they fought at 147. Pac moved up 2 weight classes and De La Hoya moved down from Jr middleweight and second, the naturally smaller guy always request the catchweight. The only fights, I believe, Pacquiao fought at a catchweight was against Margarito and Cotto.

Even though Floyd's team says that Alvarez's team are the ones that requested the catchweight, we know who really wanted the catchweight.

Edited by DM72