Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

So he turns down 65 million to fight Manny, and instead will go after Ortiz. I guess the idea of being undefeated means more to him than money, but boxing historians are always going to bring this up if they never meet.

Mayweather defenders will keep making excuses for him but for the vast majority of people, the more Manny's people push for the fight and the more Floyd runs away from it, the more it tarnishes his legacy. It's better to have a few loses and have the reputation of going after the best every chance you get than to be undefeated and be known for ducking a few key fighters.

I haven't seen anyone other than Bob Arum confirm that 65mil number

I haven't seen anyone other than Bob Arum confirm that 65mil number

You always say that. Even Bob Arum isn't gonna lie about something that can easily be proven false. As much as the Mayweather's love to talk, don't you think they'd called Bob Arum out on this if it weren't true? Sorry, but Mayweather's scared to fight Pacquiao. There's just way too much envidence in Mayweather's actions to prove it.

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 02:03 PM ----------

http://twitter.com/#!/danrafaelespn/status/78139099747332096

@danrafaelespn

Dan Rafael

Victor Ortiz's manager has confirmed to me that Ortiz will be facing Floyd Mayweather on Sept. 17.

20 minutes ago via web

And I WILL NOT be ordering it. I refuse to support Mayweather until he fights Pacquiao.

It hasnt been confirmed anywhere that Floyd turned down $65 mil. So i still dont believe it. Meanwhile, pac is continuing to fight people who are past their prime, coming off huge losses, jumping up/down multiple weight classes, or people he was beaten before. Ortiz is a young fighter with good talent. I think its a good fight that Floyd should win, given that father time hasnt caught up with him yet. Eventually everyone (except maybe George Foreman and Bernard Hopkins) will slip.

It hasnt been confirmed anywhere that Floyd turned down $65 mil. So i still dont believe it. Meanwhile' date=' pac is continuing to fight people who are past their prime, coming off huge losses, jumping up/down multiple weight classes, or people he was beaten before. Ortiz is a young fighter with good talent. I think its a good fight that Floyd should win, given that father time hasnt caught up with him yet. Eventually everyone (except maybe George Foreman and Bernard Hopkins) will slip.[/quote']

Floyd hasn't denied it either.

You always say that. Even Bob Arum isn't gonna lie about something that can easily be proven false. As much as the Mayweather's love to talk, don't you think they'd called Bob Arum out on this if it weren't true? Sorry, but Mayweather's scared to fight Pacquiao. There's just way too much envidence in Mayweather's actions to prove it

Bob Arum is arguably the most successful boxing promoter of all time, there is not a single thing on this earth he wouldn't lie about if he thought it would give his fighter more leverage. (i'm not even saying its wrong, its what promoters do)

And I WILL NOT be ordering it. I refuse to support Mayweather until he fights Pacquiao.

and thats your right. personally i'm not ordering any Pacquaio or Mayweather ppv's that dont involve them fighting the other

as for the fight itself, its probably the best realistic opponent for Floyd after Manny. Welterweight division has thinned out considerably in a short bit of time

Edited by StillUnknown

Mayweather Jr. vs. Ortiz is the silliest fight that Mayweather could take. No matter the outcome, Mayweather Jr. keeps dancing around what would be the most competitive, money-making bout in his now tainted career. This is coming from a Mayweather apologist. I'm so disappointed that this fight is happening.

I may be wrong, but Mayweather may be trying to set up a unifying bout with Pac. But if this fight were to happen, it wouldn't be about belts but history. Mayweather will always have an asterisk on his record if he doesn't fight Pac. That's with or without belts involved.

:helmet:

Well I guess the conspiracy of using his upcoming court case as a reason not to fight Pacman is out the question.

That too.

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 03:18 PM ----------

i think it should be mandatory for all combat sports

If Mayweather is serious about cleaning up the sport, then he should go to the state athletic commisions. He's not fooling me.

That too.

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 03:18 PM ----------

If Mayweather is serious about cleaning up the sport, then he should go to the state athletic commisions. He's not fooling me.

indeed, Mayweather is doing it for selfish reasons, but it should still happen for the good of the sport. other boxers are starting to come out in favor of olympic drug testing as well though

Edited by StillUnknown

Ortiz is a good upcoming fighter, but he's a massive underdog to Mayweather. No one should pretend it's a brave decision to take a fight with him when he could cement his legacy and make double the money by fighting Manny.

outside of Sergio Martinez (who's a middleweight now), Pac & Mayweather will be massive favorites against whoever they face besides each other. out of the remaining candidates after Pac, Ortiz is probably the next best option.

everybody wants Pac v. Mayweather, but this isn't a bad fight. this isn't him fighting Baldomir

I have always rooted for Mayweather in his fights, but him ducking Manny has made me believe that he is not who I thought he was. Him turning down the 65 Million, which he really did no matter what he says, just further proves that he doesn't want no part of Manny. I would respect him more if he just comes out and say he doesn't want to fight him instead of giving excuse after excuse. It is getting real tired.

Ortiz has a chance, albiet small due to Floyd's speed and pure running ability. I agree that it isn't fighting Baldomir but the worst thing about Ortiz right now is that his biggest accomplishment was achieved through upsetting Berto.Without any fights in between that win and this one I just don't think he will have quite the same drive that pushed him to become a champion. He will need that edge, that will, that want to just stand a chance in this fight. I believe Victor stands a chance but I'm pretty confident in Floyd's scouting team to pick apart the problems that Floyd can exploit in his opponent (that is why he doesn't fight Manny, speed is something Floyd doesn't deal well with and it showed ever so briefly against Mosley). Floyd will win the fight fairly easily by a quick punch and get on the bike till Ortiz tracks him down then repeat all night long. It will look a lot like Mayweather vs De La Hoya even though Oscar was already a shot fighter.

To put it simply, Ortiz will not have the speed or know how to catch Mayweather in another boring 12 round fight that Floyd will claim he essentially beat the man who beat Berto. I say this because Berto is someone who would pose more difficult a challenge than Ortiz simply due to the fact that Berto has speed that can be a problem for Floyd along with pretty good power which would be a deadly combination to hurt the zero on the record that he fears so heavily of losing. We will basically be waiting on the Mega Fight as usual months delayed from nowl.

I will say this though, at least it is finally a young fighter that has a wild chance in hell at the upset purely for the unknown boxing characteristic that can never be measured, the heart of the underdog. This is more than we can say at this point for the redundant fight with JMM for Manny.

Edited by ClemsSC7Skinfan

I think you're severly overestimating Berto's chances against Floyd. You're correct in that he has the physical tools to challenge most, but he hasn't a clue in how to use them properly. If he did, his fight with Ortiz wouldn't have been close (or his fight with Collazo for that matter).

HBO tried to groom him into a superstar, but he just doesn't have the skill necessary to get to that level

Oh I agree that I'm overestimating Berto's chances against Floyd but I'm pointing more to the fact that his skill set scares Floyd far more than Ortiz's skill set. Due to the fact that he is more dangerous than Ortiz they would easily (and have easily selected) to fight Ortiz because he has a title and he doesn't have a chance. Berto would have a better chance due to the natural abilities he has, I agree 100% if he had proper training and understanding of his skill set he'd be much better. I was simply trying to point out that Floyd always hand picks his opponents based on a much lesser skill set (i.e. he will not fight anyone with speed)

Oh I agree that I'm overestimating Berto's chances against Floyd but I'm pointing more to the fact that his skill set scares Floyd far more than Ortiz's skill set. Due to the fact that he is more dangerous than Ortiz they would easily (and have easily selected) to fight Ortiz because he has a title and he doesn't have a chance. Berto would have a better chance due to the natural abilities he has, I agree 100% if he had proper training and understanding of his skill set he'd be much better. I was simply trying to point out that Floyd always hand picks his opponents based on a much lesser skill set (i.e. he will not fight anyone with speed)

You make a good case.

• 2 weeks later...
Well ****, hopefully just one of those nights :(

to his credit, he made no excuses post fight.

he's got some serious defensive liabilities though. It was there in his last fight as he struggled with Ishe Smith, and they were fully exposed last night. He may need a switch of camps to fully realize his potential

June 18

At Guadalajara, Mexico (HBO): Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Ryan Rhodes, 12 rounds, for Alvarez's WBC junior middleweight title; Jason Litzau vs. Adrien Broner, 10 rounds, junior lightweights

Results - Broner knocked out Litzau in a nice shot that he then jumped all over near the end of the 1st round to finish a knockout on what I personally felt was a quick stoppage. Litzau was not given a chance to reach his feet but I'll give the ref this he did look strange in his face/neck contortions after getting just whooped up on especially after a brutal uppercut.

Canelo looked fantastic in an 12th round TKO but the fight was never close to begin with and he was never threatened or in danger at any point. The closest round Rhodes had was the 6th and if you gave it to him it was purely because he didn't win the first 5 up to that point. As for Canelo, he just has the "it" factor. He is confident, he is powerful, he doesn't get off the game plan even if he lands several combos. It is all very impressive to watch at such a young age. I would love to see him with one of the big dogs, say....Cotto. I think it would be a brutal fight between the two. I do completely understand if they bring up along slowly still because he needs more experience with a tougher opponent than Rhodes and Matthew Hatton. Hopefully he is handled well and not like Fernando Vargas who was thrown way too early with Tito who really ruined him in my opinion. Anyhow it was entertaining to watch the maturation of Canelo but nothing of the unexpected took place. (Great body work in the fight by Canelo though which did get recognized by the commentators as well as Rhodes himself).

Edited by ClemsSC7Skinfan