Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

he can also be outboxed and put down himself, great test to see where Ward is in his development. this is a fight Ward should win though.

the announcers had it right, if Miranda looks bad tonight, he's another Ricardo Mayorga

He hasn't looked good. Ward is still unpolished, but legit. Nice work so far. Versatile.

He hasn't looked good. Ward is still unpolished, but legit. Nice work so far. Versatile.

i thought Ward looked great tonight, he was alot more active than he usually is.

he's not a power puncher by any stretch, but he might be the best pure boxer at 168 right now

168 is close to becoming what 147 was a couple of years ago. alot of great talent in this division right now

Taylor would get outboxed, Jermain has not evolved the way he should

and we all know if it goes late in the fight, which it probably would, Taylor would fold up shop

Taylor's recent loses were knockout loses; Ward doesn't have the power to knock Jermain out. I don't think Ward's win against Meranda proved much (boxing skill wise); he just proved he could survive a fight against a "dangerous" fighter.

Taylor can actually box, and has more power than Ward. Taylor getting knocked out in the later rounds wouldn't come into play, because Ward doesn't have the knockout power to get it done.

I think Taylor would win the first 8 rounds of that fight; Ward would win the last 4 (when Taylor tired out) but it would be too little too late.

I'm not calling Ward garbage or anything (maybe he would rise to the occasion in a Taylor fight) but I don't think he has proved much yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone please tell me why i was watching a Strikeforce event on Saturday and heard that a MMA fighter named Nick Diaz wants to Box Roy Jones Jr. and actually thinks he can beat him.

I watched this kid fight, and he has zero chance of beating Roy in a boxing match. I will be the first to say that Roy was overrated his entire career and is pretty much washed up at this point anyway. But there isn't an MMA fighter out there that could touch Roy Jones in a Boxing match!

Someone please tell me why i was watching a Strikeforce event on Saturday and heard that a MMA fighter named Nick Diaz wants to Box Roy Jones Jr. and actually thinks he can beat him.

I watched this kid fight, and he has zero chance of beating Roy in a boxing match. I will be the first to say that Roy was overrated his entire career and is pretty much washed up at this point anyway. But there isn't an MMA fighter out there that could touch Roy Jones in a Boxing match!

Indeed, Finkle. I don't think anyone will argue with you on this. I'm sure Diaz' people will tell him to stick to the cage.

pay no attention to Nick Diaz, he smokes alot of weed

big fight on HBO Saturday, Miguel Cotto vs. Joshua Clottey

i'm going with Clottey in the upset

Edited by StillUnknown

big fight on HBO Saturday, Miguel Cotto vs. Joshua Clottey

i'm going with Clottey in the upset

Can't wait for this fight! I'm picking my boy Cotto to win a decision. Clottey doesn't move laterally enough to beach Cotto.

So unless Clottey puts plaster in his gloves...I think Cotto will win.

Can't wait for this fight! I'm picking my boy Cotto to win a decision. Clottey doesn't move laterally enough to beach Cotto.

So unless Clottey puts plaster in his gloves...I think Cotto will win.

i agree that Clottey doesn't have much lateral movement, but he's a tough rugged fighter with good defense.

he eats most punches on his arms and shoulders. he has periods of inactivity though, which could cause him to lose rounds

Cotto is the favorite and rightfully so, but Clottey has a proven chin. Cotto to his credit has evolved into a very skillful boxer to compliment his power.

my head tells me Cotto will win a comfortable decision, but my gut is telling me Clottey will find a way to pull the upset

Clottey has a granite chin and underrated defense, but if Cotto comes out and boxes he should win a clear decision. At the same time, I just don't know how Cotto will react following the Margarito fight. The Jennings fight really showed us nothing when you consider the level of the opponent. Clottey is not that big of a puncher, and Cotto's chin has improved since he's moved up to 147.

I really am unsure about this fight, but I see it playing out with Cotto handily winning rounds when staying on the outside and moving. There will be some exciting moments when they trade punches, and I can see Cotto getting buzzed once or twice. If he has the will to get through it (I think he does) he'll win a close, entertaining fight.

That said, with the odds Clottey is getting in this fight he's worth putting some money on. And if Cotto somehow stops Clottey get ready for Pacquiao/Cotto.

he eats most punches on his arms and shoulders.

I saw Cotto make a guy quite in a fight where the guy was blocking most of Cotto's punches.....Cotto actually dislocated the guys shoulder from all the punches that hit him on the arms!

Cotto is a big hitter!!!!

I can see Clottey making interesting though, should he a hell of a fight. Clottey is tough as nails! Broke his hand early against Margarito and still finished the fight.

i'm just hoping Jim Lampley gets a sore throat and can't commentate tonight

he is as biased as any commentator i've ever seen (especially when Cotto & De La Hoya fight)

:hysterical: I hate him and Larry Merchant.

Have you listened to some of the crap Larry talks about? I remember he went on a 4 minute bit talking about clouds and water and not even talking about the fight. I just turn the volume down and yell at the TV with my friends.

Can't wait for tonight

great fight, close fight

i scored it 114-113 for Clottey

official scores are 116-111 for Cotto, 114-113 for Clottey, & 115-112 for Cotto

i want to see a rematch. close fight, but i thought Clottey won the fight. the flash knockdown at the end of round 1 definitely helped Cotto

116-111 for Cotto is bull**** no way the fight was that far apart

Edited by StillUnknown

Great fight cotto won so don't kid yourself with the one point win for clottey. Cotto knocked him in the first round and Clottey had a chance to win in the 11th and 12th round but didn't do anything. You can't fault cotto for taking the 11th and 12th round from clottey because clottey didn't do anything to win those rounds. This has rematch written all over it.

Great fight cotto won so don't kid yourself with the one point win for clottey. Cotto knocked him in the first round and Clottey had a chance to win in the 11th and 12th round but didn't do anything. You can't fault cotto for taking the 11th and 12th round from clottey because clottey didn't do anything to win those rounds. This has rematch written all over it.

i scored the 11th for Clottey actually on my card

cotto was moving back for most of the 2nd half of that fight

i'm not arguing against the decision because like i said, it was a close fight. i can understand why it was scored for Cotto, i just don't agree with it

I thought Clotty won, but he really can't complain because he did very little in the last 3 rounds.

In other news. What an embarrassment for MMA. Ray Mercer who's way past his prime destroys Tim Silva in seconds.

Edited by THE OUTSIDER

I thought Clotty won, but he really can't complain because he did very little in the last 3 rounds.

In other news. What an embarrassment for MMA. Ray Mercer who's way past his prime destroys Tim Silva in seconds.

Tim Sylvia is the Nicolai Valuev of MMA

Mercer was also choked out by KIMBO SLICE, not exactly a shining moment for boxing

Tim Sylvia is the Nicolai Valuev of MMA

Mercer was also choked out by KIMBO SLICE, not exactly a shining moment for boxing

Considering Mercer was/is a hasbeen and this was a MMA match, I don't see this as a blackeye for boxing. IMO, Kimbo or any MMA fighter should beat a boxer in an MMA style fight.