Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Something I don't understand is why people don't acknowledge Mayweather hitting his opponent more then they hit him. In all the "he's running, he's a chicken" memes none of the people want to add an asterisks in there that says "but Mayweather did out-land Manny by a lot"

Sometimes I think people just don't know anything about boxing OR they get behind "their guy" so much that it just blinds them to what is actually happening in the ring. I can't tell you how many people were "Yeaaaaaaah"-ing for punches that were whiffing, or hitting Floyd's gloves/shoulders/arms etc etc....I didn't even know how to react to a room mostly filled with people reacting this way to much ado about nothing. 

It's not as if Mayweather is running around and only patty-caking a punch in here and there. The dude was throwing stiff jabs in Manny's face, pretty good left hooks, right hands  etc etc......just because he didn't stand against the ropes and let Manny hit him, that is "running?"

• Like 7

I knew that if Mayweather didn't get a TKO/KO, Bayless would say Pac won. It's beyond silly at this point.

Manny did nothing to try and really press or win the fight. We've seen Floyd against opponents who even in losing, still at least tried to pressure him and win rounds, Manny did neither yet so many people continue to be angry with Floyd for some reason. It's beyond absurd.  Manny cornered Floyd enough times in the fight that there should have been some kind of game plan to at least try and prevent Floyd from rolling off the rope and getting smacked with a hook for his non-efforts.

Really trying to be cordial about everything, but some of these people spitting stupidity is getting out of hand.  It's somehow Floyd's fault that Manny had nothing for him besides 3-4 flurries over a 12 round fight. Get over it, your guy got schooled big-time and the reason you are so mad is because you probably had no clue what in the hell you were talking about going into the fight.  Boxing may be dying but some of these ignorant so-called "fans" are just a big a reason.  Trying to say Mayweather is killing boxing. Just stop with ludicrousness already.

Skip Bayless is amazing everyone knows this clown is a homer but my goodness he really thinks Pacquaio won the fight.

Not a good look for him to troll after a convincing loss like that. Seriously. Its over.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

For whatever reason, Malignaggi seems jealous of Pacquiao.

I think jealous is the wrong adjective there. If anything he would be jealous of Floyd not Manny. I think Paulie, like many other knowledgeable boxing experts, feel Manny is thriving off of a very carefully matched reaume' and is a bit overrated.

I think jealous is the wrong adjective there. If anything he would be jealous of Floyd not Manny. I think Paulie, like many other knowledgeable boxing experts, feel Manny is thriving off of a very carefully matched reaume' and is a bit overrated.

Overrated? Manny beat quite a few hall of famers in their primes. He beat Bradley twice when he was a top pound for pound fighter. Calling an 8 division champion overrated is laughable.

Overrated? Manny beat quite a few hall of famers in their primes. He beat Bradley twice when he was a top pound for pound fighter. Calling an 8 division champion overrated is laughable.

Honestly I can sit here and dissect Manny's entire resume' and not with opinions but cold hard facts. You really don't wanna go there. Just leave it alone man. The fight is done, your hero is avg, just move on to GGG or something.

You're just being a bad winner now.

All of a sudden boxing's only 8 division champion is overrated. You say I hate Floyd, you must really hate Pacquiao.

This isn't all of a sudden!! Cut that out man. I've been saying this for a while now. No I do not hate Manny, not at all. I just understand that his resume' is overrated, he's overhyped, and his career is overstated. He's not as good as you and many others feel he is. Like I said, he was very carefully matched and that was put on full display last nite.

• Like 1

Ok DM if u really wanna do this we can. We'll have this convo one time and one time only. I'll win this debate, then we'll drop it. But I don't have much time so respond fast. Give me your comparison of Floyd and Manny's respective careers. Why is Manny's resume' better than Floyd's?? Let's hear it...

Seriously...very few true boxing fans thought Manny could pull off a win. Watching one of the shows with predictions from pro athletes ( mostly boxers) and celebrity true fans, nearly all of them picked May.

Casual fans most of them wanted Pac to win. Seemingly based on May's villain persona ( and outside the ring issues).

• Like 1

Great fighters Pacquiao beat (In their primes)

JMM 2 times (future hall of famer)

Barerra (future hall of famer)

Morales 2 times (future hall of famer)

Cotto (future hall of famer)

Margarito (when he was feared)

Bradley (one of the top p4p fighters)

That's 6 victories over future hall of famers when they were at their best. Two of these fighters made ESPN's list of top 50 of all time.

Like I said, if that makes Pacquiao overrated, there's a slew of boxers, including Floyd, that are overrated.

Edited by DM72

Mayweather is just a boring fighter. He doesn't go out there trying to win, he goes there trying to outlast. Someone said that Pac only had like 3-4 flurries in a 12 round match. Mayweather had 0 flurries. Mayweather went out there with his "technical skill", his "defensive boxing", whatever. He won, sure, but there was exactly nothing I found entertaining about his victory.

Yes I'm a casual fan. I've watched a handful of Mayweather fights or so. Bash me for being a casual fan, Mayweather's style of fighting is killing your sport.

Who would win this hypothetical fight? Mayweather v Mayweather. Hell would there even be a punch thrown?

• Like 1

Ok I'll start. Manny has had 65 fights. Look at his first FORTY opponents and tell me how many names you recognize.. Exactly. 40 cab drivers looking to make a few extra bucks. Now everybody starts easy but 40 tomato cans is a bit much. I will also say Manny fought 4 unification fights including last night and has won a grand total of ZERO. A big fat goose egg. He's lost 2 and draw 2.

Since all Manny's early action was against overseas pizza delivery guys, I'll start with his serious action here. This is also skipping the fact that a couple of the more heavy handed pizza guys managed to knock Manny out. Yes like real legitimate KOs. When Manny fought at 135 there was Juan Diaz, Nate Campbell, Joan Guzman, Joel Casamayor, Edwin Valero, Kendall Holt, etc.... Manny fought a very weak David Diaz when Campbell was the linear champ then he never looked back at 135. Joan Guzman was undefeated, Campbell was the linear champ, and Valero had a 100% KO ratio. Manny ducked them all. Guzman was chasing Manny from 130 where he avoided him to 135. Manny plucked the weakest fighter at 135 and HAULED ASS.

That's just an example. David was the weakest champion and he weakest fighter of the bunch yet this is who Manny chose. At no time since his jump to 135 had Manny fought the best available competition. At NO TIME has he EVER been the linear champ. I see FIVE on Floyd's resume'.

I've always been critical of Floyd's work at 140. But he WANTED to fight Kosta Tsyzu. He asked Arum but the fight never got made. Gatti wasn't the best champ at 140 but there was nobody in the division. Manny on the other hand jumped over all the LEGITIMATE competition at 135 and 140. He was fully capable of making 135 but drained dudes to get them to come down to catch weights. Floyd went up to 154 to fight Oscar. Manny made Oscar come down to a weight he hadn't made in a decade. He weight drained Cotto. Weight drained Margarito. Refused Shane after the Margarito fight and waited until he lost to Floyd and was clearly shot against Mora. EVERYTHING about Manny above 130 has an asterisk by it.

You got Clotted saying he threw the fight on Arum's orders and hasn't been seen since. Rios was coming off a loss. Manny could've fought the winner of the fight but chose the loser instead. Shane was coming off a loss and a draw. Bradley off a WAR with Provodnikov. Cotto right off a war with Clottey (which many thought he loss). Floyd wanted his boy Judah to get paid so that's a bull**** fight. and Guerrero was Floyd's mandatory. But everything else was SOLID. Baldomir was the linear champ. Shane was the linear champ. Alvarez was the linear champ. Hatton was the undefeated linear champ a weight class below. Ortiz was coming off the absolute best victory of his career. Roach and Manny with the help of Arum were simply opportunists. These are undeniable facts.  

Seriously...very few true boxing fans thought Manny could pull off a win. Watching one of the shows with predictions from pro athletes ( mostly boxers) and celebrity true fans, nearly all of them picked May.

Casual fans most of them wanted Pac to win. Seemingly based on May's villain persona ( and outside the ring issues).

Bingo.